Sign in to follow this  
LDDtechnician

LDD Question: Making technic models move

Can I make technic models made with LDD move like this:

?

(to make them do what they are supposed to, to make them look cool, AND to check if everything is aligned properly)

No, you can't do it with the current LDD 3.1.3, Brick Version 114.5. In the description of the YouTube video which you mentioned, rolandMelkert wrote that it is a "POV-Ray rendering of the "technicForkLift" sample of LD4DStudio. I rendered this with POV-Ray 3.7 beta in about 2 hours, using the default settings at 1280x720 resolution." I can tell you that it would take far longer to model this in LDD, because of the problems mentioned in this Eurobricks post. Blakbird is really the best around for Lego TECHNIC renders, but he's not interested in pursuing LDD.

LDD closely enforces "Legal Build" techniques. If things are not aligned EXACTLY, LDD won't let them connect, mesh together, etc. There is no "slop" allowed in LDD to slightly tilt the forklift's Technic Beams to make them fit. Whereas one could FORCE real bricks to align, LDD won't let you. :sceptic: This is one reason that you see SO FEW official Lego Technic sets modeled in LDD.

Zblj is probably the best Technic modeler in LDD. Once you get at least 10 Eurobricks posts under your belt, you can send him a Private Message (PM) to get some advice. :thumbup:

Hi there LDDtechnican. Nice username - but much to live up to :classic:

About your question the answer is no. There is no physics engine in LDD at the moment. Possibly in future releases. What LDD can however to is check so that everything is lined up. Also it's important to know that even if LDD LU Mode has a lot of technic parts, there are still a few missing. We're hoping for more in LDD 4.0 due for release soon.

Hi there LDDtechnican. Nice username - but much to live up to :classic:

About your question the answer is no. There is no physics engine in LDD at the moment. Possibly in future releases. What LDD can however to is check so that everything is lined up. Also it's important to know that even if LDD LU Mode has a lot of technic parts, there are still a few missing. We're hoping for more in LDD 4.0 due for release soon.

Thanks for your quick responses to my request on making movies. I think I will leave the cool film-making to others.

I hope to live up to at least some of my username with the model you can see in the post you referred to:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45807&view=findpost&p=800851&hl=&fromsearch=1

LDDTechnician

LDD closely enforces "Legal Build" techniques. If things are not aligned EXACTLY, LDD won't let them connect, mesh together, etc. There is no "slop" allowed in LDD to slightly tilt the forklift's Technic Beams to make them fit. Whereas one could FORCE real bricks to align, LDD won't let you. :sceptic: This is one reason that you see SO FEW official Lego Technic sets modeled in LDD.

To me this is exactly the puzzle and therefore the fun of technics in LDD :-)