Sign in to follow this  
SuperChris

REVIEW: 4737 Quidditch Match

Hey guys, second review, so go easy on me. Firstly, thanks to everyone who clicked my teaser picture I linked in the thread yesterday, I got a huge amount of traffic, I'm very grateful! Secondly, I'm so sorry about the camera, I usually use a Nikon but I broke the lens, oops, so I'm using my phone camera, and some of the pictures are a tad blury. *is sorry*.

Set name: Quidditch Match

Pieces: 153

Price: £19:97 from Tesco Direct. It's now out of stock! It cost £5 to deliver, but hey ho.

Theme: Harry Potter (Hell yeah!)

Set number: 4737

Release date: 1st October (officially)

Brickset link: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=4737-1

Okay, let's take a look at what we have got here!

fff3313a.jpg

Front of the box is pretty lush. Very nice artwork, it does the job well.

The back of the box shows off the set a lot better. Just lovely!

196120fd.jpg

And the side shows off the minifigs. These are ALL fantastic.

a34eaf74.jpg

Time to get cracking. Whats in the box!?

1e4376b6.jpg

The answer is 3 bags, instruction booklet and 3 pieces to form the hoops, as we will get to later. These sets don't come with a mini poster like the classic sets did, a shame, but not really a surprise.

d0dc1eec.jpg

Above is a random page from the instruction booklet. You can see the trio faded into the background which is pretty cool. The rest of the design is pretty boring. The booklet also includes a advert for the Hogwarts Game. It's all plug plug plug.

6b52fbde.jpg

Here be your pieces, unsorted in all there goodness.

07c86244.jpg

And here they are somewhat sorted. I only really sort of pieces for huge sets, I just piled them into colours, as you can see below. The capes come in the tiny boxes and they were all in mint condition. I only wish they would stay that way!

fdd1c36b.jpg

d0365b62.jpg

These are my favourite pieces of the set. I love the helmets, and the beaters bats, but I also love the huge cup! What a great piece.

Time to have a look at the figures themselves. Below are the 4 Quidditch players, I'm not sure why I didn't include Hooch in that photo, my bad...

00b9f328.jpg

Lets have a closer look, shall we?

0f3cc4d0.jpg

69d9f262.jpg

Harry and his new double sided head. So much love for the new Harry figure. The face is babyish, but it works for this set.

994254da.jpg

98779f13.jpg

The two figures above are Oliver Wood and Marcus Flint. It's amazing that TLC are giving us these two figures, back in 2002 we only got Harry and Draco. Improvements, indeed. The weird thing is, both these figures have beaters bats, which confuses me as neither are beaters. Oh well, life goes on. Also, neither figure have switchable heads, I don't really see this as a problem though.

c2fff827.jpg

1d51b79b.jpg

My favourite new figure is Draco Malfoy. His hairpiece is perfect for the first two movies and his face is super smug. The best part is his switchable head which shows him looking rather worried. Twitchy little ferret, aren't you Malfoy? As Mrs Granger would say.

472ba4c1.jpg

a6aec906.jpg

The final figure is Madam Hooch, who is a pretty cool figure. Her new hairpiece is just swell, it really gives off the windswept look, which I've been told I can't pull off... And we get another switchable head! TLC are all about switchable heads these days! i'm so down with that.

Time for the build now. It's a pretty simple one.

308b998e.jpg

A random stage is shown above. And the finished tower is below.

7c7cbdc1.jpg

The tower is the main bit of this set, it has a place for Hooch to 'chill' as the cool kids say these days, and that's show below.

82fc8d0d.jpg

2563ab2e.jpg

The next part is the Quidditch Cup stand, very simple, very effective. You get some nice flags as well. YAY FLAGS.

14bc8872.jpg

The next bit is making the hoops. Now, way back in 2002 we got pre-made hoop pieces, I don't know how to put it. Now, you get 3 of these pieces, show below. You also get to see two of my fingers. The pieces are all bendy as well, as you can see...

d13db307.jpg

These 3 pieces make up the rings, and I'm going to be honest and say they don't look as good as the 2002 hoops. They just look a bit odd... You can see the 3 hoops below. Glory.

d4512b13.jpg

The last part are the mini-caterpults. They are pretty cool, and add playability to the set. Want to see a poorly filmed video showing them off? Off course not. Check it out below. As you can see, I have a bit of trouble, but it's all good fun.

And as they say in showbiz, that's a wrap! Below is your finished set. Dunt it lack greeet?

5580e211.jpg

Here is a picture of it in it's new home at my house!

7241d050.jpg

24b8def5.jpg

These are your left over pieces. Nothing of great interest, unless you have a thing for dark grey cheese pieces.

Let's do the ratings, shall we?

Parts: 7/10 - You get 150 odd parts, but most of them are really basic. You get some nice colours and the rare pieces are great.

Figures: 10/10 - Holy Quaffles, these figures are FANTASTIC. The level of detail is amazing, it really shows how much TLC has improved. Also, adding figures like Wood and Flint are great, and very welcome additions.

Design: 7/10 - It's simple, but it does the job. The main tower looks better then the older version, but I'm not down with the hoops.

Price: 8/10 - It's a tad bit more than the original, but who cares? 2 more figures and the extra added details make this a sweet deal.

Playability: 9/10 - I'd give this a 9, because the new catapults give you something to do. You can also hold the figures in your hand and making SWISSSHH-ing nosies as you fly them around your room. Or that's what the 12 year old Chris would of done, anyway.

Overall, 8/10. This is a great set. I didn't really care for this at first, but don't miss out on it, it looks lovely.

For more exclusive pictures, check this out!

0b40fd2c.jpg

I hope you liked my review!

Edited by SuperChris

Thanks for the review 'SuperChris' - I may or may not get this one....it will be up to my son....though again it's the figures which add the COOL to this set - double sided heads - SWEET ! :sweet:

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

It's annoying that I need to buy 4 of these to get full Quidditch teams :hmpf_bad: . Nice review! The figs are great as always but Madam Hooch's eyes look a bit strange without her goggles... :look:

Nice review SuperChris. From my limited enjoyment in the HP movies, the Quidditch matches/scenes are what stands out for me, and this set is a small but good representation of the 'real' game. I think the design of the torsos of the two Quidditch teams are nicely done, just like in the movies. But what I'm most interested in this set is the new hairpiece of the Malfoy guy. That hair will have lots of potential use in non-HP MOCs.

It's annoying that I need to buy 4 of these to get full Quidditch teams :hmpf_bad: . Nice review! The figs are great as always but Madam Hooch's eyes look a bit strange without her goggles... :look:

I noticed that as well, up close they look really weird. That's why I leave her with the goggles facing the front.

Great review. I agree about the hoops. I like the gold, but the original hoops were better. I had the luck of getting the original version. I hope to get 2 of this one. Not a full team, but I get 1 of each position. :classic:

Cool little set, but it's a bit smaller than it looks in the official pics. The figs are good, but I agree that they should've used the premade hoops.

Great review Chris!

I'll get this set if it's on sale, because it really doesn't beat the old version. The new figures are super though; so many new faces! :sweet:

But what the heck is up with the eyes on Hooch? Is she a demon or something?! :tongue:

Thanks for scanning just the page I needed! It is fine that I will have to wait until October, I am slowly getting ready everything I need for my Potter universe!! Let's make this a Harry Potter year, you guys!

cimg7766.jpg

Edited by takuto20

Thanks for the review! I want this set a lot now. Draco's hair will be great for a lot of Star Wars figs I have been wanting to make or a while. Cant wait for the set to be out in the US!

Thanks for scanning just the page I needed! It is fine that I will have to wait until October, I am slowly getting ready everything I need for my Potter universe!! Let's make this a Harry Potter year, you guys!

Took me a while to understand what you meant there, it's not a problem!

Thank you for the nice review. :thumbup::classic:

Can you please take next time somewhat sharper photo's, they are now a bit dizzymaking.

I like the tower more than the last version. The torso's are also great.

@ Euvor: These 4 players are already better than the last version, but I dreamt around 2002 of 4 new sets with in everyone a whole different quidditch team. (so you also got Cedric Diggory and Cho Chang).

Edit: About Madame Hooch; On wikipedia I read that in the books she described as "having strangely yellow eyes" so it is quite describing canon.

Edited by Wout

Thank you for the nice review. :thumbup::classic:

Can you please take next time somewhat sharper photo's, they are now a bit dizzymaking.

Sorry, I did explain at the start of the review though. Its so hard to tell on my phone screen which are sharp and which are blury :wacko:.

Thanks for the feedback anywho :thumbup:.

Thanks for the review SuperChris. This looks like a great wee set moreso because of the superb selcetion of minifigs. For that reason I prefer this over the original as I think neither sets Quidditch goals are particularly up to much and best given the MOC treatment.

I found previous Harry Potter sets invaluable for my MOCs and it looks like these won't be an exception. Obviously there's lots of new potential for Harry Potter MOCs too!

Sorry, I did explain at the start of the review though. Its so hard to tell on my phone screen which are sharp and which are blury :wacko:.

Thanks for the feedback anywho :thumbup:.

It is a bit of a pain to see this highly awaited set being reviewed in a less than Academy manner. Thank you SuperChris :sweet: for getting it out to us here on Eurobricks first, but I sincerely hope that there will be a more in depth review with some really crispy high-res shots very soon.

A Great review SuperChris!

This is the set Ive been really anxious to see a review of, and now Im definitely going to be picking it up, 2 would be nice so then i'd have goals for both sides of the pitch. :wub:

Thanks again for the review and the pics weren't bad for a phone camera. :thumbup:

CF

Thanks for the review! too bad they didn't include the weasley twins but then it won't be even i guess...

Draco's other face makes me think of Peanuts characters :wink:

lovin this li'l set. I'd decided this year I'd finally collect a theme in it's entirety - was going for SPIII or Atlantis originally - switched to Kingdoms :wub:. I know that sounds off topic but the point is I'd gladly collect some HP on the side - Hogwarts architecture will go along with Kingdoms juuust fiiiiiine. :grin:

And those sweater uniforms on the figs are just too cool

Edited by SpiderSpaceman

That's why I always take two :wink:

BTW - like your username!

Cool set! Pity you have to buy 4 just to set up a proper quidditch match though. Hopefully the figures won't be too expensive on Ebay. My other gripe is that they didn't take the opportunity to make official Fred and George figures. Oh well. :hmpf:

I suppose I wasn't the only one after all to notice Madam Hooch's creepy yellow eyes in the first movie. LOL!! They freak me out. :grin: Nice one Lego.

Thanks for the review!

It is a bit of a pain to see this highly awaited set being reviewed in a less than Academy manner. Thank you SuperChris :sweet: for getting it out to us here on Eurobricks first, but I sincerely hope that there will be a more in depth review with some really crispy high-res shots very soon.

Mind telling me how I could be a 'more in depth?'. For a small set, I think I covered the main bits of the set. Unless you were hoping for 'some really crispy high-res shots' of every single brick?

Sorry, that came across a bit sarcy, I'm just looking for ways to improve for next time :sweet:.

Edited by SuperChris

Thanks for the review... I see your note about the cameraphone but if you have access to them, a tripod and macro mode on a regular digital camera would improve the images greatly. If you're serious about doing reviews, something more than a cameraphone would help. :)

m19

Edited by Morgan19