HJR-Holland

Review: 10212 Imperial Shuttle

I know this is an old review post, but yesterday I received this set in the mail after finding it for a great price on BrickLink from a local seller. ($370 including shipping!). I have wanted this set for quite a while as the shuttle is something that I didn't have an example of, and I also didn't really have a "true" UCS set. (Yes, I have the Death Star, Ewok Village, and Sandcrawler, but none of those include the display stand and "plaque sticker.")

One thing I have to say is that all pictures and videos about this set on the internet can't come close to truly displaying just how MASSIVE this thing is. Wow. Every part of this set is hefty, and it's amazing how the designers at TLG were able to create a very sturdy, yet hefty, creation. Of all the sets I have, size wise this is most definitely the largest.

Putting it together was quite fun, though it makes me realize just how much I appreciate the numbering of bags. I couldn't imagine building something like the Death Star without numbered bags. I only had a little bit of trouble as I recently had my shoulder operated on again and therefore don't have any real strength in my left arm. So putting in some of the cross axles while holding the parts securely was a bit difficult. Below are some key points I had while building this:

• Each of the individual sections is VERY sturdy. Once you have all the parts put together, it almost feels weapon-like. Haha.
  • I thought that the gears for raising/lowering the wings would require some force to turn, but they did a great job of making it very fluid and easy. Doesn't take a lot of force, or time to get them to move.
  • You need a LOT of space to store this. It is simply a massive ship and kind of dwarfs all other sets due to its scale. I'm hoping that TLG releases a smaller scale version of this again in the future.
  • They did a really good job of providing ample space in the cockpit to hold all five minifigures. (If you stand the Stormtrooper up in the middle, he'll fit just fine). The "hole-studs" on the floor of the cockpit make it easy to store Luke and Vader's lightsabers.

I am very happy to finally have this set in my possession. I'll be spending some time in LDD figuring out a way to add a ramp to the bottom of the cockpit area while still allowing the top to raise/lower.

Now, the other set that I REALLY want to get if I can ever find it for a cheap price is the Super Star Destroyer - Executor. I know that it will absolutely not fit into my current Star Wars Lego room due to its size, but in my bedroom I have a dresser which is five feet long so if I were to get this, I would be able to build it and store it in the bedroom so it would be the first and last thing I see each day. Haha. The only problem will be finding the set for a price that doesn't exceed the ~$500 limit I've set for it.

Putting it together was quite fun, though it makes me realize just how much I appreciate the numbering of bags. I couldn't imagine building something like the Death Star without numbered bags.

Now, the other set that I REALLY want to get if I can ever find it for a cheap price is the Super Star Destroyer - Executor. I know that it will absolutely not fit into my current Star Wars Lego room due to its size, but in my bedroom I have a dresser which is five feet long so if I were to get this, I would be able to build it and store it in the bedroom so it would be the first and last thing I see each day. Haha. The only problem will be finding the set for a price that doesn't exceed the ~$500 limit I've set for it.

I built the death star without numbered bags :sick: It was horrible. I also am looking for a good priced executor, and there are a few around that 500 dollar budget. This set does look truly amazing and I wish I had my own. Until then I can wish for a system scale version. :laugh:

These retired set prices are insane... I got into UCS late in the game (2010) and I am paying for it on a level that is silly, or stupid depending on the mood of my wife. I know that this may sound like total crap but I have decided that when I sell off my SW UCS collection I will let it go for my cost... Trying to make money on Lego is akin to taking advantage of people and putting a dream out of reach. ---RANT OVER---

That statement sounds crazy coming from someone called neoconagenda but if you know me you know that "neoconagenda" is sarcasm...

Edited by neoconagenda

Regarding the SSD, I was just looking around online and apparently it is still available for sale in the Denmark Lego Shop At Home site. Of course, when I put in my shipping address it said that it is not available for sale in the USA. Looking around on BrickLink, I do see many sellers out in the EU who have it available for a cost slightly above $540. With shipping, I figure that would come out to be near $600 or slightly above when all is said and done. I need to get my credit card balance back down to zero before thinking about going for it, but at some point in the next few months I may go ahead and pull the trigger. First need to clear out plenty of room on my dresser to put it. Haha.

Man, you guys are reminding me how painful it is to hunt down and afford old UCS sets. I started collecting them in 2008 and that led to a few expensive purchases. Still, the thrill of the chase was ever present and every now and again I'd hit jackpot. I remember picking up a 10129 MISB for $300 US (at the time they were nearly double that price normally and shortly thereafter they skyrocketed) and a new 7191 in a damaged box for $320 US...

Ebay both times!