HJR-Holland

Review: 10212 Imperial Shuttle

Thanks for the review. Not as a criticism to your fantastic review, but this set is an easy pass for me.

The UCS sets are just super sized lego sets but with the playability aspect thrown out. Since I got the Imperial Inspection recently in a lot trade I am rather satisfied. Im a sucker for those Stormtroopers with the printed legs and crotch. So that makes the imperial inspection a bigger win for me.

This set is just big and expensive, and as you said, it doesnt come with any minifigs that we don't already have.

Nice review. Since TLG first started producing UCS sets, I've been hoping for a Lambda Shuttle. It's a pretty model, but it still falls short of what I'd hoped. Mostly, I'm disappointed that functional landing gear wasn't part of the design. A boarding ramp, even if it led to nowhere, would have looked nice for display purposes.

I am glad, however, that the cockpit is minifig scaled. It's a nice plus, given that these sets are designed for display, not for play. I get that, and so I don't fault the design for a lack of interior, as nice as that might have been. As far as the figs go, I wouldn't have expected to get any new figs, as we've had shuttle sets before with all the apropos figs, so it's no surprise that they appear here as well.

This does, however, make me hope we'll see a newly redesigned System Tyderium Shuttle in the future, perhaps a scaled down version of this set with more play features, i.e. ramp and landing gear, as well as wings that achieve full travel to match the original model (one of my biggest beefs with nearly every shuttle set thus far). While the old System set was ok, it wasn't quite right, and given their penchant for better accuracy in their redesigns, I hope this ship, as iconic as it is, gets a nice makeover in a smaller scale, with playability in mind, that's also more affordable.

Anybody know how long you can display a white Lego model before it starts to look tan?

I know this from my old sets, but is this still an issue with the newer ones?

btw: thanks for the review.

Anybody know how long you can display a white Lego model before it starts to look tan?

I know this from my old sets, but is this still an issue with the newer ones?

It would certainly be disappointing to pay such a premium price only for it to become discoloured. Does anybody know if this is still an issue?

I'm currently building this set and I must say I'm impressed. During the build I was surprised how huge it is..! The top wing is just massive. I love the cockpit and the body. I'm a little disappointed with the back of the ship though. Of course the missing of working landinggear is a major letdown. But all the details, the general shape of the ship and the effort that is put in the AFOL buidling technics are just great.

All you people that are lucky enough to own this model, have fun building it!

DR

it doesnt come with any minifigs that we don't already have.

That's a damn good thing ! :oh3:

I'm fed up to see stupid minifigs everywhere !!

A white boba ? What for ?

A chrome storm trooper ? What for ?

20 sorts of storm trooper ? What for ?

A Chrome Darth Vader ? What for ?

And this trend is still growing with all the useless minifig we have with Clone Wars.

A storm trooper is a storm trooper. And a Darth Vader is a Darth Vader, etc.

Come on ! We are playing Lego, with bricks !

It would certainly be disappointing to pay such a premium price only for it to become discoloured. Does anybody know if this is still an issue?

I have on display for 2-3 years a white model based on the 1996 Exploriens Starship. I keep it most of the time away from direct sunlight and it hasn't yellowed at all. I think white (and other light coloured) bricks tend to yellow only under continuous exposure to direct sunlight. If you can protect your Legos, I think it shouldn't be a problem.

I have also seen the 10212 Imperial Shuttle displayed at a Lego store and I was impressed. To me it also felt considerably larger than what I had thought. The price may look steep but when you see it in flesh you realize why. Even with UCS standards this thing looks really adult, maybe because the building technique doesn't leave many studs visible. It's one of the best Legos I've ever seen, no doubt about it. I may be getting it one day.

Edited by feanor

I'm fed up to see stupid minifigs everywhere !!

A Chrome Darth Vader ? What for ?

Because it's shiny, and because Vader's armor really does gleam in the movies. After getting mine, I've never used my original Darth in any MOC, simply because the Chrome one is more accurate looking.

Because it's shiny, and because Vader's armor really does gleam in the movies. After getting mine, I've never used my original Darth in any MOC, simply because the Chrome one is more accurate looking.

A golden rule at TLG : every minifig or model which is produced has to look good, which doesn't mean that is has to be correct.

The normal Darth Vader suits perfectly for every model or MOC.

The Chrome Darth Vader was only produced to make money with adults which are willing to pay a premium to get it.

A golden rule at TLG : every minifig or model which is produced has to look good, which doesn't mean that is has to be correct.

The normal Darth Vader suits perfectly for every model or MOC.

The Chrome Darth Vader was only produced to make money with adults which are willing to pay a premium to get it.

It's a matter of personal taste, then. I think the Chrome version looks both better and more accurate. Or maybe the former because of the latter.

This set is an absolute beauty, and the hull was one of the most enjoyable builds I've had in a long time!

What I'm wondering is if anyone has tried to motorize the wings? I am NOT good at Technic constructions, but I am always impressed with what the designers come up with. Against better knowledge, I ordered a PF battery box and motor from BL yesterday to give it a shot. I'll probably need another motor. Oh, and since there will be PF in it, I'll try to light up the engines as well...

If I succeed, against all odds, I'll try to share my experience with some kind of instruction. :wacko:

:thumbdown: : The quality of this set could be better (stickers - box - yellowing bricks).

:thumbup: : But the size is impressive.

:thumbdown: : The quality of this set could be better (stickers - box - yellowing bricks).

:thumbup: : But the size is impressive.

all UCS have stickers, box is fine, and from what i can tell the bricks are white :sceptic:

Wait some years, my friend, wait some years...

i have some classic space sets that are white and still white 25 years later even after being on display, the same cannot be said for the blue and old light gray mind you.

I did a little mod of the set, as suggested in another thread a while back.

I put in these 6005.gif instead of these 6183.gif and covered the sides with tiles:

Unmodded

4998302979_a66c451e4f_z.jpg

With 2x4 tiles

4998909844_ef7593dfdd_z.jpg

With 1x2 tiles

4998910010_232dbfeea9_z.jpg

Closeup of the 1x2 tiles

4998910178_a6531e43b5_z.jpg

I kind of like the smoother look. Next, I'll try to motorize the wings....

Nice simple mod Skafte, effectively makes the shuttle smoother. I think the 2x4 tiles are much better than the 1x2s. Can't wait to see how you motorize the wings.

Edited by KielDaMan

I did a little mod of the set, as suggested in another thread a while back.

I put in these 6005.gif instead of these 6183.gif and covered the sides with tiles

:thumbup: very good idea, I'll try that, thanks...

I think this set lacks a lot of studs. :(

So, I would never do that change. :look:

I think this set lacks a lot of studs. :(

So, I would never do that change. :look:

Then you won't like my next mod apart from the motorized wings: to make it completely studless, ie lowering the plates on top and covering them with 2x4 tiles... Since this is a model with low "stud count", why not take it to its extreme?

Then you won't like my next mod apart from the motorized wings: to make it completely studless, ie lowering the plates on top and covering them with 2x4 tiles... Since this is a model with low "stud count", why not take it to its extreme?

I find studs to be nothing more than another form of detailing, when not used to connect bricks. I always attempt to go completely studless, except when I use them to fill in spaces tile can't fit into or need a small circle for detailing.

De-studified to the next degree:

5118892344_c6c8c9289d_z.jpg

I'm not sure what to tile next. Cockpit floor, perhaps? Support stand? We'll see. :grin: