Oky

MOC: Toy Story Racers

Who do you think should win?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favorite racer!

When I was browsing the internets recently, I came across a picture of the old Toy Story Racer videogame, and immediately I thought "Hey! That's a great idea for a MOC project!" And so, I started building little 4-wide race cars for my Toy Story minifigs. In the videogame, all the race cars were just color variations of RC, which was pretty boring in my opinion, so I went for a more go-kart style design in order to create kind of a Mario Kart feel. I was careful not to use the same design twice so that every racer is unique. I hope you like them.

4944383234_7a0c32b9c1_z.jpg

Let's take a closer look, shall we? First up, we have the BFFs Woody and Buzz. While Buzz's Racer has the usual Star Command color scheme, the colors of Woody's racer is based on the cowboy themed stuff that can be seen all over Andy's room in the first movie. Woody's racer is the one that was most inspired by the videogame.

4944383252_0e457e2843_z.jpg

p1080233_small.jpg

Next we have Jessie's and Stinky Pete's racers. Note how smooth and sleek young Jessie's kart is while the old Prospector's kart is rather boxy and old-looking.

4944383256_587b0b9891_z.jpg

p1080237_small.jpg

Then there are the villains from Toy Story 2 & 3, Zurg and Lotso. Since I don't have any magenta colored bricks, I thought it would be neat if Lotso's racer would be a mini version of his dump truck. Like on the Zurgmobile, I had to remove Zurg's lower body (and cape) and replace it with a different piece in order to be able to seat him in his racer.

4944383262_118c80eabb_z.jpg

p1080239_small.jpg

In order to secure victory, Lotso had his henchmen enter the race too. Here we have Chunk and the driver of Lotso's Dump Truck. Since the idea of a mini dump truck was already used, I had the chance to make a dark blue racer! I think it came out very nicely! Chunk's kart is meant to look very "rough around the edges" to match his rock monster look.

4944383274_49031e3173_z.jpg

p1080243_small.jpg

Twitch and Stretch get in on the fun too. Twitch's kart came out more citrus-colored than I expected. Perhaps I should have gone with a mini garbage truck instead? Oh well, it still looks good, I think. Note how Stretch's racer is much more organic in shape than Zurg's.

4943845965_a8edafaa85_z.jpg

p1080256_small.jpg

But don't worry, our heroes have a little help from their friends too! Here are Hamm and Rex in their beastly racers! While Rex's kart has the features of a dinosaur, Hamm's is a big slice of ham on wheels. :grin:

4943845959_1660b02b42_z.jpg

p1080248_small.jpg

Last, but not least, there are Sarge and the little green alien. Sarge's kart is basically a slightly smaller version of the Army Men Jeep. And there's only one word to describe the LGM's kart: Ooooooh! ToystoryAlien1.png

4943845977_94ba47d981_z.jpg

p1080258_small.jpg

The only Toy Story character who doesn't have a kart is Bullseye, but he doesn't need one since he can "ride like the wind" already. :wink:

You can find hi-res version of the pics in this brickshelf folder and on my flickr.

Now that I have introduced all the racers, we are ready to race! Ready, Set, Go! Vote for your favorite in the poll above, and let's see who wins! :sweet:

I'm gonna go ahead and give Buzz a head start. :grin:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Good one 'Oky wan' - really C & C carts (cute & cool) ! :grin:

I voted for Buzz, but for me the dark horse is the little Alien mobile - too COOL ! :grin:

Excellent creative work 'Oky' and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Another fantastic TS creation Oky! As always the case, you managed to put the individual 'marks' of each character on their respective go-karts. The build of the karts may be simple, but the different colors and elements put into each kart matches perfectly with their respective character's personality.

And who do I bet to win? I know this might be an unpopular vote, but I'm gonna go with one of the last racers at the back - the 'underpig' - Dr. Evil Porkchops! :devil:

Again a great Toy Story creation Oky. :thumbup: I've voted for Buzz because I like his car the best. :classic:

But maybe you should build a mini RC that fits with these small race cars. :tongue:

the Inventor

These are really great, Oky, but there's one Lego Toy Story character you missed - RC himself! Have you thought about making a 4-wide version of him?

Fantastic Racers Oky!

My favourite one has to be Hamm's the colour is just so cool.

By the way, when you start describing Twitch and Stretch's racers you call Twitch Zurg. :classic:

This is genius.

Maybe Woody and Jessie could use some more variation and some variating elements, there cars are a litle to general compared to the rest.

But stil, very very, nice, you should do the same for Star Wars.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

These are really great, Oky, but there's one Lego Toy Story character you missed - RC himself! Have you thought about making a 4-wide version of him?

Actually, I haven't. I was just thinking of making go karts for the minifigs, but I guess a 4-wide RC would fit in nicely. I'll see what I can do.

By the way, when you start describing Twitch and Stretch's racers you call Twitch Zurg. :classic:

No, I'm really talking about Zurg's racer. Both Stretch's and his are mostly purple, but the shape is different.

Maybe Woody and Jessie could use some more variation and some variating elements, there cars are a litle to general compared to the rest.

But stil, very very, nice, you should do the same for Star Wars.

Actually, Woody's racer is already quite unique in that its seat extends over the rear axle. Also, if you look closely, the elements on both of their karts are slightly different.

As for Star Wars, it has already been done. :wink:

:laugh: These are awesome! My favourites are Lotso's, Chunk's, and Buzz's! :thumbup: Edited by prateek

No, I'm really talking about Zurg's racer. Both Stretch's and his are mostly purple, but the shape is different.

Oh ok. Though its quite confusing because you have a picture of Twitch and Stretch right above it.

Very creative and neat concept! The colors compliment each other very well on each racer, and the compact yet detailed build is excellent - who knew that Buzz's wings could make a great spoiler too? :laugh: My vote was for the dump truck driver, I'm really liking that dark blue and yellow color scheme. My second favorite would have to be Stinky Pete's racer due to its vintage and classic look, it reminds me strongly of the 'Woody's Roundup' show in Toy Story 2 (and of the actual set itself). But overall, they portray the Toy Story gang very well. :thumbup:

Actually, Woody's racer is already quite unique in that its seat extends over the rear axle. Also, if you look closely, the elements on both of their karts are slightly different.

As for Star Wars, it has already been done. :wink:

Okay, let me reprase, I think why most people vote for Buzz is when only looking at his car you can see in one instant that is it Buzz his car, with Woody and Jessie it's not really the case. I don't want to break down your sets, just a comment, I wouldn't know myself how you would have to fix it.

About the SW sets, indeed it seems it has already been done, but I like the small cute cars you did more, it brings out the characters and funny side mush better.

As a fan of Mario Kart, I got to say these are nothing short of brilliant! :thumbup: Each one individually crafted, each having it's own unique character traits, all great!

My favourite ones are Rex and Twitch. Each have great characteristics that mimic their drivers well.

Nice. I couldn't choose which to vote for! The only way i could improve these is by 1. Making a race track for them 2. Giving them little accessories, like a claw on the LGM's car or a dynamite shooter on the prospector's car, a bit like mario! :tongue: