shimon

Arvo's VolksWagen beetle in LDD

Few days ago an idea came to my mind - building something great and maybe sell it.

from all the models i tried to make the hardest so i choose a model from one of the best Lego designers - Arvo brothers.

i had no pictures of the interior only the ones at brickshelf.. and from those bricks outside i made the whole model with my own designed chassis and steering. before i was going to email them about the permission ive checked the prices for some pieces...

Unfortunately the big arches don't exist in Yellow but some shops do sell them - 5.99$ each!! and there are 14 of them

so i cant afford it to myself building it so i though i would just share the pictures here and maybe there's another place i can get those bricks.? or Perhaps make the whole model in another color?

Enjoy my 3 days work: (i haven't made the interior thought to make them special)

lddscreenshot1.png

lddscreenshot2.png

lddscreenshot3c.png

lddscreenshot4.png

Holy crap that's awesome! I wish the actual Lego set had these sloping pieces. :thumbup:

Few days ago an idea came to my mind - building something great and maybe sell it.

from all the models i tried to make the hardest so i choose a model from one of the best Lego designers - Arvo brothers.

i had no pictures of the interior only the ones at brickshelf.. and from those bricks outside i made the whole model with my own designed chassis and steering. before i was going to email them about the permission ive checked the prices for some pieces...

Unfortunately the big arches don't exist in Yellow but some shops do sell them - 5.99$ each!! and there are 14 of them

so i cant afford it to myself building it so i though i would just share the pictures here and maybe there's another place i can get those bricks.? or Perhaps make the whole model in another color?

Enjoy my 3 days work: (i haven't made the interior thought to make them special)

Fantastic work Shimon. If I were the Arvo's, I'd be honored. But like you write, better pop them a mail first to ask permission. :classic:

A question - how did you reverse engineer it, specially the internal structure so that it holds together?

The color change question is an interesting one. I'm working on a feature to do that in LDD Manager - basically "Which other colors (that has been produced) is this model possible to build in".

Holy crap that's awesome! I wish the actual Lego set had these sloping pieces. :thumbup:

Thanks!

yeah me too but just for some reason they don't ( or maybe they plan it for the future)

Or they just don't do it for several reasons: its a hard and complex building ( LEGAL ALTHOUGH )

and its not really solid (breakable)

Fantastic work Shimon. If I were the Arvo's, I'd be honored. But like you write, better pop them a mail first to ask permission. :classic:

A question - how did you reverse engineer it, specially the internal structure so that it holds together?

The color change question is an interesting one. I'm working on a feature to do that in LDD Manager - basically "Which other colors (that has been produced) is this model possible to build in".

Thanks.

Well, it was pretty difficult: i started from the hood slopes then i saw that they are connected via a bracket and so on many connections. by just enlarging the pictures.

and even with no good resolution i was able to find specific exterior pieces and then think of a solid snot option.

the main rule was - 5 studs high=2 studs long

The chassis: i made it myself with a steering options i just built it outer first and inner after.

About the color: i already found 2 possibilities: white and red (black wont look good)

and i have most of the white parts in the shopping cart in one BL store and others need separately.

total cost : approx 120$

What do you think would people buy such a thing and for how much?

Because ive seen many cheap creations being sold for 800$+

Regards.

Shimon

NIFTY! That's a nicer looking Beetle than the official version! Can you please put it up for download when you're finishied?

Edited by BrickWild

Ok, here is the file:

It does not have interior; anyone can add his style (there are many)

Original model design by: Arvo.

LDD model design from scratch by: Shimon.

Happy building!!

I may recreate any other model by demand.

Edit: wont let me attach the file, any help?

Edited by shimon

Ok, here is the file:

It does not have interior; anyone can add his style (there are many)

Original model design by: Arvo.

LDD model design from scratch by: Shimon.

Happy building!!

I may recreate any other model by demand.

Edit: wont let me attach the file, any help?

You have to zip the file first. Or you have used up all your allowed storage on Eurobricks.

I recommend you create a Brickshelf account and upload there

I was ignorant of the Arvo Brothers until reading about your MOC (although I now realise I've seen some of their work before - amazing). I think your LDD beetle is a fantastic recreation. Maybe, if you can't get all the right colours you could try a multi-coloured version - as if it's been crashed and repaired with spare parts :laugh: