Sign in to follow this  
Southwest Chief

My Pirates collection (and naming ships)

I just got the new Imperial Flagship to add to my Pirates collection. It was such a beautiful ship I had to get it. Finally the soldiers have a large ship capable of handling the Black Seas Barracuda and Skull's Eye Schooner.

With this new arrival, I took all my Legos out of storage and built up all the pirate sets I have.

Following are photos of these sets:

pirates1.jpg

pirates2.jpg

pirates3dz.jpg

I have most of the early sets up until the Islanders came out. I pretty much stopped collecting pirates after the Islanders. But I did recently add Kraken attackin for the octopus (or giant squid) and the new Imperial Flagship. In the photos a lot of the little boats, sharks, and alligators got moved around from their original sets. But every set has all the parts. Amazing after all these years.

One thing I've done to all of the ships is name them with dry transfer lettering I found at Staples many years ago. It looks like this on my Skull's Eye Schooner (named as Hispaniola):

pirates4.jpg

Some of the letters have rubbed off a bit over the years, and I wish I lined things up a bit better. But not bad for a 10 year old I guess back then. Maybe I'll reletter the fleet if I have enough lettering.

Here is a list of the names:

Black Seas Barracuda named as "Bounty"

Caribbean Clipper named as "Intrepid"

Imperial Flagship (1992 version) named as "Britannia"

Skull's Eye Schooner named as "Hispaniola"

I think I'll name the new Imperial Flagship as "Victory", but I haven't fully decided yet. Any thoughts on a name?

The lettering, if anyone is interested, is by a company called Visu-Com. The font is old english. I doubt they are around any more as it's tough finding dry transfers nowadays. Lettering looks like this:

pirates5.jpg

Hope you enjoy the photos

You have a very impressive collection of classic pirate sets!

I wished I had that many of them when I was young; most of them I got long after the original pirate line was stopped.

A great sight so see so many great sets together. Funny thing is the only two ships you are missing are the only two I have. :pir_laugh2:

You have to be proud on this whole lot! Excellent. :thumbup:

Very nice collection. I have many sets like you....Are you planning to buy new sets?

three things:

:thumbup: impressive collection!!!!

:thumbup: you need aquire from the Imperial Armada :pir-devil:, (then, change from Hispaniola to "La Española")

:thumbup: the name of your new ship shoul be... :pir_mad:VENGANCE :pir_mad:, Britannia and Intrepid have suffered too much!!!

Are you planning to buy new sets?

I like the castaway minfig in the Loot Island set, so I think I'll get that new set. And I've always liked Skull Island, so maybe I'll look for one of those on eBay.

Nice collection-- Anyone else find the palm leave bricks crack easily? Through my dark ages, several of the larger leaves from the islander sets cracked just beyond the holes while in storage. Sure, they're replaced easily enough, but what a pain in the kraken, if you know what I mean...

Nice collection. Whats your favorite classic set?

You should get the loot island set, i bought it for the castaway minifig aswell.. it is very pleasing. you should also comsider soldiers fort.

My only classic set(i dont have it yet, i ordered it yetsterday) is Forbidden Island. Maybe i will get more someday. I have all the "new" sets besides shipwreck hideout(the next set i hope to get), BBB... i also dont have the 2010 Imperial Flaghip...

i also dont have the 2010 Imperial Flaghip...

Me either :pir_bawling::pir-cry_sad: I Dont know why but i didnt saw it in ANY shops when i was looking on it, its a shame at i didnt get that super cool set but hey, you cant get always that what you want. If i could choose now at would i et BB or new IFS i would say IFS for sure. But im off topic now, What a beatiful fleet you have there :pir-classic: Naming of those ships is a good choise, but are you gonna give the name of that new IFS too? Didnt saw it on the list so just asking :pir-blush: If so, try to give him an imaginative name, like Redcoat II or something :pir_laugh2:

Anyway, good looking armada indeed.

Captain Becker

VERY nice collection! Even though I much prefer MOCs this is so impressive that i do wish i had a few more classic sets... they have so much vintage flair it's incredible! Even though the 2009 sets aren't that bad I still prefer the original ones (as most Pirate fans do). :pir-cry_happy:

Once I have the money and space necessary I will most definetly get a few of those....

Congratulations on that collection!

A big and nice collection!

Just like Bonaparte most of my sets came afterwards, although I did have the complete first Bluecoat/Pirate line sets and most of the second Redcoat/Pirates line sets. Not much Islanders though, but I bought a lot of them afterwards over Bricklink.

Thanks for showing!

Whats your favorite classic set?

I really like the Imperial Trading Post. The merchant ship it comes with is the best. The pirates need something to pillage.

Naming of those ships is a good choise, but are you gonna give the name of that new IFS too?

I was thinking about naming it Victory, but I like Vengeance as suggested by Brig. Brick

You should name one of the pirate ships 'Vigilante'. Sounds like a good name for a nemesis (there's another good one) of the Vengeance. :pir-classic:

Great collection, but you have to know that the colors will be destroyed in sunny places.

Edited by Alblego

Great collection, but you have to know that the colors will be destroyed in sunny places.

Don't worry. They spend most of the time in bags in a large storage box with my other Legos. And I opened the blinds to help with taking photos. Otherwise they stay out of the sun.

Unfortunately some of my older castle pieces (old gray) have yellowed considerably. Likely from when I used to take them outside to play with.