18 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale from 1 to 5

• Garbage!
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Toyrific!

7599_review_title_small.jpg

What's that smell? Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Jessie, Buzz, Lotso, and Twitch in the Toy Story 3 Garbage Truck! And boy, are they dirty! However, neither their smell nor their looks shall keep me from reviewing this Toys'R'Us exclusive! To the junkyard, and beyond!

7599-1.jpg

Set Number: 7599

Name: Garbage Truck Getaway

Theme: Toy Story

Year of Release: 2010

Pieces: 402

Minifigs: 4 (including Lotso)

Price: $49.99 USD

S@H description:

Jessie and Buzz are trapped in a big garbage truck and on their way to the dump! Can they escape the clutches of Lotso and Twitch before they suffer a smelly fate? Includes Buzz, Jessie, Twitch and Lotso minifigures Garbage Truck measures 8.5'' (22cm) long and 5'' (13cm) high! Lift the dumpster and empty it into the truck! Truck hopper opens as dumpster is lifted over the top!

Brickset BrickLink Brickshelf

The Box

The box has the usual white Toy Story 3 design, with an image of Sunnyside Daycare in the background, and the two heroes in this set (Jessie & Buzz) in the lower left corner. Unlike any other Toy Story box, however, it has highlighted image of the Twitch minifig which is exclusive to this set in the lower right corner, along with a "limited edition" tag. The top shows a 1:1 scale line-up of all the figs in this set while the left side features the Limited Edition tag in two other languages.

p1070148_small.jpg

On the back, there's another, larger minifig line-up with names, and three images showcasing the play features of the truck.

p1070149_small.jpg

Contents

Inside the box you'll find two instruction booklets, three numbered parts bags, and a string of what Svelte calls "China Baggies" with the parts for Lotso, Jessie, Twitch's head, and Buzz's head and jetpack.

p1070152_small.jpg

Here is a random instruction page. Sometimes it was hard differentiating the black from the dark bley, but since most of the pieces were represented in only one color, that was OK, and the rest was pretty clear.

instruction_page.jpg

The most notable parts in this set are the dark green plates, panels, and slopes, the trans-black 3x10x3 windscreen, 1x3 tiles in white and dark bley, a black, printed 2x4 tile, and the old technic skis in black.

p1070206_small.jpg

The minifigs

Here they are prior to assembly. Buzz and Twitch's torso and legs came out of Bag 1 and are made of good quality plastic. While Buzz's legs have a new dirt pattern, his torso is the same, as are his wings and helmet. Twitch's antennas are rubbery and separate from his head which is hard ABS.

p1070155_small.jpg

Twitch's antennas fit into other headgear as well.

Clone: "Do these antennas make me look fat?"

4918338996_aac4146fe6.jpg

Lotso is the same as in the Trash Compactor escape set and therefore not too impressive, but Twitch is a great fig, even though his chest seems a bit small compared to his movie counterpart. Also, he unfortunately doesn't come with his "signature magical battle staff".

p1070198_small.jpg

There is a gap between his wings and his torso so that he can be seated in the driver's chair of the truck.

p1070199_small.jpg

Unlike Lotso, he doesn't have back printing, but that's OK since his wings cover most of his back anyway.

p1070200_small.jpg

Here's a reference pic:

Toy-Story-3-Twitch-404x600.jpg

Next up we have our hero couple, Buzz and Jessie. Both have a worried expression on their face and dirt all over their body which is very fitting for this scene.

p1070201_small.jpg

Jessie even has dirt prints on her arms!

p1070202_small.jpg

This is the only set in which Jessie has a back print! Even Buzz has dirt patterns on the back of his jetpack! So much detail on these figs!

p1070203_small.jpg

The Build

You start by building the dumpster. It's a quick and slightly repetitive build. It's not very accurate either as I recall the one in the movie to have been green and having a lid.

p1070196_small.jpg

It has wheels at the bottom so you can roll it around.

p1070197_small.jpg

Then you build the chassis of the truck. Here it is after bag 1:

p1070194_small.jpg

After bag 2, the driver's cabin is done.

p1070195_small.jpg

The last bag is all about constructing the garbage compartment and forks. This is the finished model:

p1080111_small.jpg

p1080114_small.jpg

I don't have a reference pic from the movie (that particular scene was very dark anyway), but the movie version was heavily based on real American garbage trucks, so if you compare the set with the image below, you'll see it's pretty authentic.

waste-management-truck.jpg

It looks very nice and imposing from the front. I really like the license plate and the use of textured bricks.

p1080123_small.jpg

It's very long, too, as you can see in this side view. Note all the SNOTed tiles. The red and white stripes could have easily been stickers, but they decided to use tiles instead which is great.

p1080124_small.jpg

It's a bit plain in the back, although there is still a decent amount of detail. This is due to functionality, which we'll get to soon.

p1080125_small.jpg

If you look at it from the top, you can see that it is over 14 studs wide! This is likely the widest minifig-scale vehicle to date!

p1080126_small.jpg

Spare Parts

There are several small spare parts in this set, including cheese slopes, studs, and technic pins. If you want, you can put them into the dumpster to substitute garbage.

p1080116_small.jpg

Play Features

The windshield can swing up in order to seat a driver inside which is pretty neat. Unfortunately, there's no interior to speak of aside from two chairs. What's the point of having a driver inside the cabin if there's no steering wheel?

p1080147_small.jpg

The back opens up as well. There's nothing inside, but that's how it's supposed to be.

p1080131_small.jpg

Then there's the main mechanism. First, you insert the fork into the slots on the dumpster by pulling the truck forward. This can be a bit tricky as you will just push the dumpster forward if you don't approach it form the right angle.

p1080132_small.jpg

Next, you turn the wheel on the side to lift the dumpster up. Lotso seems to enjoy it.

p1080136_small.jpg

As the dumpster reaches the top, the lid of the garbage compartment gets opened, and the dumpster falls back, dumping its contents into the opening. Genius!

p1080138_small.jpg

Lastly, you can open the back as shown before, tilt up the entire garbage container, and dump out the figs. Buzz and Jessie are free at last! Yay!

p1080145_small.jpg

Ratings

Design: 4.5/5 - It's very nice and authentic, and the license plate is a nice detail! Like most Toy Story vehicles, it's completely underscaled, and the lack of interior is disappointing, but otherwise it's great!

Build: 4/5 - Very enjoyable. There's a nice variety of technic, system, snot and other techniques. Nothing extraordinary though.

Minifigs: 5/5 - Twitch is an awesome fig, and the "dirty" versions of Lotso, Buzz, and Jessie are highly detailed. One might argue that there should have been dirty versions of the other toys too, but since we already get those in Trash Compactor Escape, that's OK, and considering that Twitch was barely involved in this scene, his inclusion makes up for it.

Playability: 5/5 - Everything you could expect from a garbage truck. You can spend hours repeatedly putting stuff into the dumpster, emptying it into the truck, driving it somewhere, and dumping it all out without getting bored.

Parts: 4.5/5 - A bunch of parts in exclusive colors, including the lovely dark green, and a printed tile rather than a stickered one make this a pretty good parts selection.

Price: 4/5 - This set has the same amount of figs as the Pizza Planet Truck for $10 more, but nearly twice as many parts, so I'd say it's not a bad price for a limited edition licensed set with exclusive figs.

Overall: 5/5 - This is certainly one of the best sets out of the Toy Story line. The figs are awesome, and the set is very authentic and playable. It's hardly compatible with City due to its width though. Sure, it's terribly underscaled, but it would be hard to play with if it was any larger. This should not be missing in any Toy Story collection!

I hope you enjoyed my tenth Toy Story review (which has earned me the silver badge!). Only six more to go!OkyWanKenobiNormal1.png

You can find hi-res versions of all the pics in this brickshelf folder.

Parting shot: Taking out the Trash

With the Toy Story garbage truck, you can finally get rid of unwanted items!

4918338982_5c94a96cd0_z.jpg

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Thanks for the review Oky, great as always. I never realized how clever the functionality of the dump truck was until I saw your demo in the review. This set is pretty average - a good source of parts and decent selection of MFs. The last shot was simply hilarious! I bet there are other 'candidates' deserving of a spot in the dumpster, I just can't think of one right now. default_laugh_new.gif

Stunning review, Oky! You've brought the set to life beautifully. I love that clone pose!

I 'toyed' with the idea of buying this - it's quite a good standalone set; the dark green looks lovely, and that windscreen could be useful. Trouble is, it's just a bit too big for display and I doubt I'll start collecting the theme. Still, it's one of the best of the TS range.

I have to agree about the truck being a standalone model in its own right. I was looking at this in the Lego store yesterday and toying with the idea of getting it to display alongside similar scale trucks from Model Team & Creator!

Cheers

Rog

Uhrr, I really dislike those minifigs. I'd love to get Jessie and Buzz with alternate expressions, but the dirt printing ruins it for me. It's the same reason I don't own the incinerator set. I think both sets would have been just fine without the dirt printing, that's not exactly difficult for kids to imagine is there.

Shame, because Twitch is a rare fig I'd like to own. They thankfully didn't dirty him up.

Edited by Dunjohn

I 'toyed' with the idea of buying this - it's quite a good standalone set; the dark green looks lovely, and that windscreen could be useful. Trouble is, it's just a bit too big for display and I doubt I'll start collecting the theme. Still, it's one of the best of the TS range.

Yes, it's a bit hard to display due to its size; I myself have it standing in the closet on top of a pile of jeans because it doesn't fit anywhere else. :tongue: But it's a good set to get just as a parts pack too, so if that's your plan, go get it! :wink:

I was looking at this in the Lego store yesterday and toying with the idea of getting it to display alongside similar scale trucks from Model Team & Creator!

I'd say go for it, this set is certainly worthy of standing alongside such themes! :thumbup:

Uhrr, I really dislike those minifigs. I'd love to get Jessie and Buzz with alternate expressions, but the dirt printing ruins it for me. It's the same reason I don't own the incinerator set. I think both sets would have been just fine without the dirt printing, that's not exactly difficult for kids to imagine is there.

Shame, because Twitch is a rare fig I'd like to own. They thankfully didn't dirty him up.

I partly agree with you there. While I'm very glad we got these "dirty" versions, I would like to get normal versions with alternate expressions as well. Just2Good was very lucky to get a misprint of Buzz's head without the dirt on it. And yes, it would have sucked if the only fig we got of Twitch would have been a dirty version, especially since it wouldn't even have made sense because he was never thrown into the trash.

Why would you want to get rid off Jar Jar :angry:

Because he is outdated. We'll be getting a printed version soon. :wink:

Yes, it's a bit hard to display due to its size; I myself have it standing in the closet on top of a pile of jeans because it doesn't fit anywhere else. :tongue: But it's a good set to get just as a parts pack too, so if that's your plan, go get it! :wink:

I'd say go for it, this set is certainly worthy of standing alongside such themes! :thumbup:

I partly agree with you there. While I'm very glad we got these "dirty" versions, I would like to get normal versions with alternate expressions as well. Just2Good was very lucky to get a misprint of Buzz's head without the dirt on it. And yes, it would have sucked if the only fig we got of Twitch would have been a dirty version, especially since it wouldn't even have made sense because he was never thrown into the trash.

Because he is outdated. We'll be getting a printed version soon. :wink:

Oh good I thought you were one off those Jar Jar haters...

Brilliant review, I have recently purchased this set, and nearly all the other Toy Story range (just need incinerator and train!) and IMO its the best one of the series, the build was great fun and took a fair while, and the figures are great, Twitch is a must have!

And also Lotso does have a different expression on his face than the Lotso truck set, so he is a different figure not just the 'dirty' prints.

Great pictures too.

Edited by LegoLyons

Superb and funny review,congratulations :thumbup: I believe that this is a very nice truck but I wanted to see it in the creator range and not in the toy story theme.I bought this truck and I displayed next to my other creator and model team trucks,it looks equivalent to them but it was expensive because of the license and these minifigures(I think that they are great for others but I don't use minifigures) :wink: The truck has awesome functions but the main drawback is that it doesn't have opening doors as not only all the real garbage trucks but all the real trucks have...no real truck has an opening windscreen :laugh: