Sign in to follow this  
Carefree_Dude

Will someone explain gearing and motors for me?

I'd like to build a small steam engine using power functions and the M or E motors. The XL is far too big. I'm concerned about having improper gearing and burning out the motor though. How do you know if you geared things properly?

How do you know if you geared things properly?

Your engine will go too fast or too slow :)

Primarily, in this context gearing affects speed. It also affects torque, but that's usually limited by traction / adhesion. You get more adhesion if your motor drives a lot of wheels and/or you have a high adhesive weight over the driven wheels.

The most likely cause for burning a motor out is running it near-stall speed for long periods. The only way to have that happen in a train is to have an awful lot of adhesion, I reckon you'll see slip before then. But PF motors have stall protection anyway (far as I know) :sweet:

I have one XL motor driving this truck. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=3053953

The wheels have a lot of grip and the motor will stall before the wheels slip (if driven against a fixed obstacle for example). The stall protection eventually kicks in on the motor (probably not something to test too often :cry_happy:

I could probably be more accurate on the physics, but the above is a good basic rule of thumb for MOCS.

Edited by andythenorth

Sariel has made an excellent tutorial on LEGO gears. A definite "must-read" for everyone starting to use Lego-gears.

You can find this tutorial here or download it as PDF here.

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop

Sariel has made an excellent tutorial on LEGO gears. A definite "must-read" for everyone starting to use Lego-gears.

You can find this tutorial here or download it as PDF here.

Very helpful information, thanks