Sign in to follow this  
Solscud007

How are ATATs deployed?

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

After watching Empire and Return and now my first viewing of Clone Wars; I realized that I have no idea how ATATs are deployed onto the surface. On Hoth and on the forrest moon of Endor, the ATAT just shows up.

Whereas in the Clone Wars there is a drop ship to deploy the AT-TE or AT-OT. Or there are large ships that have loading ramps and the tanks walk out. But does something like that exist in the original trilogy?

From Wookieepedia....AT-ATs were typically deployed for ground assault from orbit by large dropships. Walkers stationed within larger warships, such as the Executor-class Star Dreadnought, were delivered to planetary surfaces within Incom Y-85 Titan dropships, capable of carrying four 22.5-meter AT-ATs. Smaller ships, such as the Imperial-class Star Destroyer, deployed single walkers via the Theta-class AT-AT barge. Other designs, including the Telgorn Corporation Warlord Dropship, were capable of delivering a platoon of four walkers.

Siegfried posted the pics of the Titan dropship and the Theta-class AT-AT barge.

Not sure what the Warlord dropship looks like. Couldn't find it online.

How did troops and equipment disengage from the AT-AT with no RotJ type docking system in place? That is the one that always bugged me; and I have not read much of the expanded universe stuff to ever see an answer to this one.

How did troops and equipment disengage from the AT-AT with no RotJ type docking system in place? That is the one that always bugged me; and I have not read much of the expanded universe stuff to ever see an answer to this one.

I would definetaly give the expanded universe stuff a chance, its answered many questions like this for me

I would definetaly give the expanded universe stuff a chance, its answered many questions like this for me

EU certainly fills in the speculative gap with some nice concept designs but as far as the OT is concerned all Lucas was worried about with the Walkers was presenting a ground battle in a fashion we'd not seen before in celluloid (and with a War of Worlds type twist). If you think too hard about how the AT-AT might really work then your head begins to hurt! :laugh:

They kneel down. (no, seriously)

They kneel down. (no, seriously)

See, the Emperor is so powerfull that he gets even the AT-ATs to bow down to him default_tong.gif . But really, EU helps answer a lot of questions you might have. then again, it's also gives you more questions...

I thought troops dropped from the AT-AT's via cables.

They can do that, too.

An AT-AT unloaded its troops by kneeling to three meters above ground level until the boarding ramp could extend outward. Individual stormtroopers could also be deployed rapidly by rappelling cable.

Supposedly, the cables are for deployment in a hot zone, while kneeling is used behind the lines to disgorge troops and AT-STs.

I suggest google "imps" and click on "relentless". In particular, its part 2 you need to watch for your answer but don't miss part 1!!! Outstanding...