19 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

Hello everyone,

I will like to take a chance to celebrate our Reviewers Academy 2nd Anniversary Special with this small Prince of Persia review. It's have been a great 2 years for all of us and the Reviewers Academy Students and Teachers have contributed a lot of high quality pictorial reviews to share with our community, and even the LEGO Community too. There will be more exciting reviews coming along the way! :wub:

Ever since I started my first review on the 7569 Desert Attack, I have completely fallen in love with the entire Prince of Persia theme, even more so when I watched the movie back then. This theme offers many diverse new exciting elements and concepts which will be used across other themes and MOCs. Let's find out what this small set can offer us.

Name: Ostrich Race

Theme: LEGO System / Prince of Persia

Year: 2010

Pieces: 169

Minifigs: 3

Price: USD$19.99, GBP 14.99, SGD$39.90

Resources: Brickset, Peeron, BrickLink

An image of a 7570, Ostrich Race

1.jpg

A rear image of a 7570, Ostrich Race

2.jpg

Let the World Ostrich Race League begin...

26.jpg

This is the most unusual race I've ever seen. If you never watched the Prince of Persia movie, you might be wondering why TLG would be creating ostriches for the Disney movie, but for sure, without the movie itself, we could not be able to acquire a brand new animal known as the "Ostrich". Yes, it's a dream come true for many animal lovers and I welcome these great additions to my collection. Apart from these beautiful ostriches, let's find out what other fun factors are included. .

Instruction Manual and Contents polybags

3.jpg

Inside the box, you are able to find 3 sealed packets containing the bricks and parts for the set, while the ostriches are packed in an individual packet.

Useful weapons and accessories

5.jpg

These are some of the typical weapons such as Prince Dastan katanas, spears and axe. There are not many weapons made available in this as I believed this is designed to be a race set rather than something related to combat. In fact, I find the new whip element very nice and reminds me of the Indiana Jones whip to a certain extent.

Useful parts for your own use

4.jpg

6.jpg

Being able to own this set allows the collector to own plentiful of useful building parts for your own MOCs. The amount of reddish brown parts such as the 1x1 cone and brown bar are available in decent quantity. Whereas, the dark tan 2x2 flat tile is of great interest to me as it can be used for laying down the studs to make a smooth surface. Furthermore, you don't get to see dark tan colour very often.

The Ostrich Race organisers

7.jpg

In this set, you get all 3 unique minifigures including the muscular Dastan which is very much different than his typical outfit. On your left, you are able to see the Sheik Amar, wearing his turban with his Arabian robe. While on the right, the grinning Jockey is one of the Sheik Amar's henchmen who rides the ostriches to win races – and therefore bets - to earn his keep. It's pretty similar to horse racing which we are familiar with.

This is an image which show the back print of the Sheik Amar and the Jockey. Furthermore, the Sheik Amar looks real scared on the other side. I wonder what is he afraid of. In addition, this is also a comparison image of Dastan in 2 different outfits.

Meet the Ostriches

22.jpg

This set comes with 2 amazing looking ostriches which make their very first appearance in LEGO and are exclusive to this one and only set. With detailed eye printing on the head and ostrich body mold that illustrates its white feathers, I could not help but to feel excited about this. The body even allows a minifigure to sit on top of the ostrich comfortably. After all, this is an ostrich and I don't expect them to carry humans on it. Do note that the ostrich head can be detached from its body.

What are you looking at?

10.jpg

Weapons holder

9.jpg

This is where the race participants place their weapons before the start of the race. Otherwise, I believe this could be for the guards in charge of the compound security. You could not want the audience to cause a riot with no one helping to surpress it.

Spectators stand

11.jpg

12.jpg

This is a simple looking stand for the spectators to view the race from above. It's great to view the actions from there. It's not a complicated build and the designer has done a good job to show the stand, especially by using the brown pillars at the front. I like those, but I supposed with more stands like these, you can expand on them by making it much longer than it is - the current stand is rather tight on space.

Sheik Amar, standing on top watching his precious possessions

21.jpg

Building the ostrich race gantries

13.jpg

Adding in the flaps to form the base

14.jpg

The final touch

15.jpg

Are you ready?

18.jpg

With the gantries in place, the ostriches and the jockey are placed behind the lines. They are designed to prevent the ostriches from escaping until opened, when they will run as fast as they can. The beautiful part of this gantry is enabling the gates to open back and forth by moving the rear mechanism to factor the playability portion. In fact, it's very much enjoyable to do so. However, do note that the gates can be a little flimsy due to the lack of support on the brown rods. Other than that, it's a nice feature.

Different angles of the Ostrich Gantry

19.jpg

17.jpg

Video demonstration of the Ostrich Gantry mechanism

Let's see if Prince Dastan is ready for the race

24.jpg

Finally, we have come to the end of the review. I must apologise that I have not made any movie reference in this review, as I have focused more on building and parts, but comparing to the movie scenes which I can remember. There is a scene like this, but not with Dastan wanting to race. It's more of an awkward situation.

I enjoyed this set very much, even though it contains less combat and weapons, but the overall beauty lies in the incredible ostriches. I supposed most of us will be grabbing a few sets, mainly just for the ostriches. Other than that, the unique minifigures and parts are another great reason for you to get one too. Do get this set, even if you are not a Prince of Persia fan. It's definitely worth getting it. I don't think we will see ostriches appearing in any other sets so soon.

Summary review

Playability: 9/10 (Very fun to play with the race gantry to demonstrate the start of a race.)

Design: 9/10 (The ostriches is the number 1 reason for you to get this, while the unique minifigs are great to get too.)

Price: 9/10 (This is an affordable set with loads of useful parts.)

Overall: 9/10 (You must get at least one of this set, mainly for the ostriches and I don't think we are able to see this anytime soon.)

I gave it a "5" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about yours?

I hope every one of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Criticisms are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Brickshelf (When moderated)

Woohoo! Let the RA Teachers' Extravaganza begin! I used to dislike this set, but after building it in LDD, I an liking it a lot now. I hope I can get it soon. :classic:

This set is really no more than a parts pack, since the model stinks heavily, but hey, that's fine by me.

Two Ostriches, the awesome Sheik Amar figure, and the abs of Jake, all for $20? I'll take it. That Sheik Amar head is really a new favorite of mine, and even more demonstrative of how fleshies get all the best heads. I dig the turban in all the colors, too.

3 is better than 2 I suppose. :laugh: Good review, Svelte.

Thanks guys.

Two Ostriches, the awesome Sheik Amar figure, and the abs of Jake, all for $20? I'll take it.

I will love to pick a few more of these, mainly for the ostriches.

3 is better than 2 I suppose. :laugh: Good review, Svelte.

Svelte??? :wacko:

Oh, BTW, you mixed up the torsos of Sheik Amar and the Racer. :wink:

Oh my god! You are absolutely right. It didn't occur to me that I have placed the torso wrongly. :laugh:

Thanks prateek for pointing out this silly mistake of mine. :blush:

This set is really no more than a parts pack, since the model stinks heavily, but hey, that's fine by me.

I concur with my clone colleague on this one. In fact the only PoP set I kept assembled for more than 5 minutes was the awesome Alamut battle - but what parts there are here are pretty great - lots of useful bits and bobs in brown and dark tan are fab for MOCing.

Little noticed fact: the fleshy muscle print here is a different shade to that found in the German mechanic torso from the Indy Flying Wing set. Yes, my level of reviewing skill requires these close examinations be made default_laugh_new.gif I noticed a few unscrupulous Bricklink sellers combining the torso from this set with the brown mustache head from the Rebel Trooper battlepack to make German mechanic sets and then flogging them for over $US10 a pop default_tong.gif Tssssk! Technically you could complain you got the wrong torso and ask for a refund :wink:

In fact the only PoP set I kept assembled for more than 5 minutes was the awesome Alamut battle

Well, I think Fight for the Dagger looks alright, but truly this line is about cool new parts and colors and minifigs. It's those figs and animals that made me buy four of the sets (couldn't be bothered to buy the grey blob one for only one different fig).

I like this set, too bad it's a license (= overpriced).

I couldn't pick it up on Disney online store 50% off sale, but I would have loved to. I rate it "above average".

Nice review WF!

Nice review! This was my second favorite set in the PoP line (next to the Battle of Alamut) all because of the ostriches. :laugh:

thanks for the review ! I was only building this set last night. I agree with the comments above, nice parts pack but the model isnt up to much. Not going to last long on a shelf display! but the minifigs are great, as are the ostriches ! Glad i picked mine up, it was on the cheap along with the other pop sets.

The entire PoP line turned out to be far more interesting to me than I'd originally thought. Easily my favourite line of the year, and that includes Collectible Minifigs. I own all the sets but I still want more. I own three copies of this set, and I'm eying up a second Alamut while the getting's cheap....

I bought this like 2 years ago for the Ostrich and finally opened it today and I like it. I agree with your rating, it's actually a very good set.  Can't believe this has been out for over 10 years.