Solscud007

Licensed Sets?

This question was asked in the Licensed Thread. However I thought we should ask an ambassador.

Will Disney and Lego be producing Tron Lego sets next year. Looking at Prince of Persia lego sets, Toy Story, Cars Duplos, and now Pirates of the Carribean I would hope that Tron will be turned into Legos.

How are licensed sets produced? Is it the brainchild of Lego or does the company, in this case Disney, approach Lego first?

This is a great question, I hope to see it answered. :classic:

I think LEGO should do THESE Themes:

Total Drama

Power Rangers

Lion King

Godzilla

Fairly OddParents

Transformers

But lets think about it... remember how popular Spongebob Squarepants was? Yeah. My point stands (Transformers would be possible though) :wink:

But lets think about it... remember how popular Spongebob Squarepants was? Yeah. My point stands (Transformers would be possible though) :wink:

Yeah, I miss the LEGO Spongebob Squarepants toys. The reason why they should do LEGO Lion King is because The Lion King is coming to Blu-Ray in Fall 2011.

I saw the trailer on YouTube.

Yeah, I miss the LEGO Spongebob Squarepants toys. The reason why they should do LEGO Lion King is because The Lion King is coming to Blu-Ray in Fall 2011.

I saw the trailer on YouTube.

I don't know. But as Lion King has no people, I would really doubt it.

I don't want to mini-mod, but this thread is getting off topic. There is a thread for discussing dream licenses in the Licensed forum.

As for the initial question, I don't think it will get answered. The ambassadors have said many times that Lego does not answer any questions on future releases, which is understandable.

As for the initial question, I don't think it will get answered. The ambassadors have said many times that Lego does not answer any questions on future releases, which is understandable.

Agreed, but from what I know from the Star Wars license, the company approaches LEGO with a list of vehicles/scenes that they think are key players in the movie/TV-show/book/game/etc., and from that list, LEGO selects the ones they know they can do a quality, fun set of. LEGO will make prototypes of many more sets than are actually released, and then the company will approve them and/or LEGO will get rid of ones they think they can't sell or don't make the various stability and strength requirements. There are, of course, exceptions, like in the case of the UCS Millennium Falcon, which LEGO designed first, but I think that as far as Classic Sets/rereleases go, TLG has free rein in issuing whichever sets they think would sell well.

So, in order for a license theme to become a set, it must

a) be popular among the targeted audience (kids)

b) have possibilities for playability features

c) be able to be made into a set that will be strong enough to play with

and

d) be able to sell well as a LEGO set.

Not to advertise for other sites, but FBTB has a forum just for questions like this.

Edited by Brickdoctor

What about LEGO Total Drama? That has people in it.

Yes but no offense or anything but it's a pretty dumb idea. The characters are very specific to that style and it doesn't have a really big fanbase and I can't think of many sets they could make. Plus they would have to have massive amounts of figs. So It will most likely never be made.

Yes but no offense or anything but it's a pretty dumb idea. The characters are very specific to that style and it doesn't have a really big fanbase and I can't think of many sets they could make. Plus they would have to have massive amounts of figs. So It will most likely never be made.

How about LEGO Teen Titans?

How about LEGO Teen Titans?

I mentioned that in some other topic a while back saying that I think that that would be a great theme with awesome figures and potentially great sets but sadly that show is dead saying that they havent made an episode in over a year to my knowledge. :sadnew:

I mentioned that in some other topic a while back saying that I think that that would be a great theme with awesome figures and potentially great sets but sadly that show is dead saying that they havent made an episode in over a year to my knowledge. :sadnew:

I guess I have no other choice than LEGO Family Guy or LEGO South Park or LEGO Digimon or LEGO Power Rangers.

Yeah the only true way to see sets is something that has large dollar signs behind it. Although I think Disney missed the mark with Prince of Persia. Toy Story and potentially Pirates of the Carribean are great licenses.

I hope Prince of Persia doesnt cause Disney to second guess themselves and not try for Tron Legos.

I SAID LEGO DIGIMON, NOT LEGO TOTAL DRAMA.

I think you'll find Masked Builder was responding to a post you made earlier in this thread, Build-A-Trent99. Please try and respond respectfully to other members, even when they say something that doesn't contribute greatly to the conversation.

Thanks guys. :classic:

Don't you guys think it would be COOL if LEGO released a LEGO Digimon line?

Maybe. I was a fan of 1.0 but it is an Anime and not one anime has been licensed by Lego ever,(Alas, I shall have to create my own UCS Tachikoma) it also lacks any real vehicles which is the second major point in Lego. Open digiworld and digimon figures wouldn't sell well enough, they want buildings and vehicles.

Now, we can all just shout random cartoons and anime that we would like TLG to produce, or we can go through the extensive minifigure parts selection and browse the clever tips on custom decals and create our own characters from anime, then use the massive selection of lego elements to create a sutiable backdrop for our figures.

How about LEGO Nicktoons? It would include Nicktoons like Rugrats, Ren & Stimpy, The Angry Beavers even The Fairly OddParents.

It seems almost every show that you have mentioned are dead shows that haven't had new episodes in YEARS so it is highly doubtful.

It seems almost every show that you have mentioned are dead shows that haven't had new episodes in YEARS so it is highly doubtful.

At least The Fairly OddParents isn't dead. A new episode premiered today.

At least The Fairly OddParents isn't dead. A new episode premiered today.

Please notice that Lego and Nick have parted ways. Avatar and Spongebob did not do as well as was wanted, and now TLG are joined with Disney, a competitor to Nick.

Please notice that Lego and Nick have parted ways. Avatar and Spongebob did not do as well as was wanted, and now TLG are joined with Disney, a competitor to Nick.

Even though The Lion King doesn't have any Humans, They could still use the Animal Characters as MiniFigures.