Solscud007

Licensed Sets?

You talking the original, or the new one? The original didn't do especially well in the box office, which is why its immense popularity in the years since has been such a phenomenon. I thought I heard that the new one did well? But perhaps it didn't make back whatever the investment in it turned out to be.

In any event, Tron: Legacy has come and gone, so unless the franchise continues further there won't likely be a LEGO license. This topic has since kind of derailed into a discussion of future licenses in general, though, so I don't know if there's still room for further discussion.

Tron would be perfect for LEGO. Tons of special characters with new pieces, loads of vehicles and ships. Even though TRON Legacy has come and gone I think they could still see sets based on the TRON Universe.

I also wonder why Spider-Man 1 and 2 were sets but 3 wasn't?

Tron would be perfect for LEGO. Tons of special characters with new pieces, loads of vehicles and ships. Even though TRON Legacy has come and gone I think they could still see sets based on the TRON Universe.

I also wonder why Spider-Man 1 and 2 were sets but 3 wasn't?

For starters, because Mega Bloks had the Spider-Man 3 license. I also don't know how profitable the Spider-Man license was for TLG.

The Avengers could be worth a shout. Tons of playset and minifig posibilities.

As of right now, Mega Bloks has the license for all Marvel characters. Some people speculate that once that license expires (which nobody is sure when to expect), LEGO might acquire the license since LEGO has such a strong licensing partnership with Disney (which owns Marvel). However, until then, Avengers sets aren't an option for TLG.

For starters, because Mega Bloks had the Spider-Man 3 license. I also don't know how profitable the Spider-Man license was for TLG.

I think the OP meant "why did MB get the Spider-Man 3 license when TLG had done the first two movies," which I think is a fine question (apologies to the OP if that's not what was meant, and I don't wish to pretend to speak for others). I imagine Sony / Columbia issued licenses for the movie franchise (as I understand it, the studio rather than Marvel handled the movie series licensing) on a movie-by-movie basis (I believe Paramount used to do something similar for Star Trek for a number of years, so that merchandise of a given type might be produced by an array of different companies for the original series, the movies, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, etc.). It'd be interesting to know why the construction toy license switched licensees between the second and third movies.

It'd be interesting to know why the construction toy license switched licensees between the second and third movies.

Maybe a TLG rep had seen just how bad the third movie was and so decided it wasn't worth it.

I would love to see a Mulan set or two. It could provide a lot of Chinese architecture :cry_happy: , which we haven't really seen in the LEGOverse :sadnew: . Some of the sets could be:

Meeting the Matchmaker

The Imperial Palace :cry_happy:

Mulan's House

The Training Ground

Hun Attack

Mulan's Family Temple (including the family spirit who has one of the best lines in the film: "No. Your great-granddaughter became a CROSS-DRESSER!! :laugh: )

Maybe a TLG rep had seen just how bad the third movie was and so decided it wasn't worth it.

I think Sandman arms, Goblin hoverboards, and black Spider-Man would make some very interesting pieces to use in custom figs. Why would Mega Blocks get the license when Disney owns Marvel? Thought I never knew Disney owned Marvel until now.

P.S. I have the movie on Netfilx right now.

EDIT: Why does MB get the privilege of making Iron Man sets?.. TLC would do it way better.

Edited by Commander Uno

I think Sandman arms, Goblin hoverboards, and black Spider-Man would make some very interesting pieces to use in custom figs. Why would Mega Blocks get the license when Disney owns Marvel? Thought I never knew Disney owned Marvel until now.

P.S. I have the movie on Netfilx right now.

EDIT: Why does MB get the privilege of making Iron Man sets?.. TLC would do it way better.

Disney didn't own the Marvel license when Mega Bloks first began their partnership with Marvel. Disney only bought Marvel a couple years ago, even before the Disney-LEGO licensing partnership began.

Disney didn't own the Marvel license when Mega Bloks first began their partnership with Marvel. Disney only bought Marvel a couple years ago, even before the Disney-LEGO licensing partnership began.

Oh, well I heard there was a Iron Man 3 coming out so that could make really nice pieces to use in MOC's.

Oh, well I heard there was a Iron Man 3 coming out so that could make really nice pieces to use in MOC's.

Iron Man 3 is presumably post-Avengers movie, which means at least 2-3 years away. So, it could still happen.

A Marvel license with TLC makes so much sense, and would be so freakin' amazing. Especially if it was an open-ended license with Marvel/Disney, and not with a particular movie studio. The Spidey sets were limited to characters/scenes from the movies because the license was with Sony Pictures, not with Marvel itself.

But a licensing deal with Marvel, with full access to the hundreds of different Marvel characters?? Oh man ... As Aanchir noted above, maybe when the Megabloks deal expires. <crosses fingers>

Iron Man 3 is presumably post-Avengers movie, which means at least 2-3 years away. So, it could still happen.

A Marvel license with TLC makes so much sense, and would be so freakin' amazing. Especially if it was an open-ended license with Marvel/Disney, and not with a particular movie studio. The Spidey sets were limited to characters/scenes from the movies because the license was with Sony Pictures, not with Marvel itself.

But a licensing deal with Marvel, with full access to the hundreds of different Marvel characters?? Oh man ... As Aanchir noted above, maybe when the Megabloks deal expires. <crosses fingers>

I looked on the internet a bit and found these upcoming Marvel movies.

X-Men: First Class

Captain America: The First Avenger

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

The Avengers

The Amazing Spider-Man

Iron Man 3

any 1 of these would be great sets and even greater MOCing abilities.

it's a shame licence has to be current films, if only LEGO did licensing back in the 80s or 90s... then StarTrek and StarGate LEGO sets would of probably been made

Tron was a failure for Disney, they lost a lot of money from it, I think.

Replying to this a little late, I know, but Tron Legacy cost $170M and has made $400M. I'd love to lose money like that.

A Marvel license with LEGO would be quite good! Disney owns the rights to Marvel now (I think), so I can imagine that to come soon enough.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but how about Phineas and Ferb sets?

Replying to this a little late, I know, but Tron Legacy cost $170M and has made $400M. I'd love to lose money like that.

Is that $400M box office? Because after distribution, advertising, and other miscellaneous costs, that's not enough.

A Marvel license with LEGO would be quite good! Disney owns the rights to Marvel now (I think), so I can imagine that to come soon enough.

Disney doesn't just own the RIGHTS to Marvel ... they actually own Marvel itself.

It really does seem like a natural fit for TLC. In my opinion, a huge part of the appeal to licensed Lego themes are the mini-figs. Everybody loves seeing recognizable characters in mini-fig form. Well, who has more recognizable characters than Marvel??

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but how about Phineas and Ferb sets?

yes it has, several times in fact. I just don't get what the big appeal is about that show, it's targeted at like 7-8 year old kids and yet I know a lot of people who "dig" it. I watched it once or twice, and it was just kinda stupid.

But, I think an avengers line would be really cool. Quinjet's and different bases, as well as different buildings to fight on, lots of potential.

Heh. Disney owns Marvel, but all of their rides seem at be at Universal. :devil: I do hope to see some Marvel sets. It's a fairly good chance. First choice would be Iron Man. Next, maybe Spider-Man again. Perhaps X-Men.

Is that $400M box office? Because after distribution, advertising, and other miscellaneous costs, that's not enough.

What miscellaneous costs? Disney films are distributed by Buena Vista, so there's no cost of paying a distributor. The prints cost maybe 10 million. Are you saying that advertising ate up 220 million dollars of revenue?

Disney are now making an animated series called Tron Uprising to air on Disney XD. Pretty strange behavior for a company that didn't make enough from Legacy.

I too have heard of the Cartoon and a handful of extra snippets here and there (Lets just say one short film had a familiar voice... End of Line). Then there is the fact that there was some sort of sequel possibly on the books, hence the fact that the Boardroom scene was re-shot with a big name star (Cillian Murphy getting his nerd on) as Dillinger Jr. A cartoon series on a channel aimed at TLG's target age group, a series with vehicles as a major feature, a series owned by their newest licensed property...

I could be clutching at straws, because I loved TRON and TRON Legacy and official LEGO light disks would be amazing. However a cartoon could possbly increase intrest in the franchise.

Tron lego would be awesome but lego`s dont make curves very well unless its a huge 5,000 piece set.If they did make light cycles small enough so minifigures could fit inside the outer shell of it would either be 2 large parts or 1 big one!Ruining what makes lego so much fun.It would feel more like duplo with minifigures!I would however pay anything for a 3 foot ultimate collector vintage lightcycle!