Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

Poll: Which LEGO Sharks would you like to see in future Pirate Sets?

104 members have voted

1. 1. Which shark you like most?

• Classic Sharks
    • The Sharks circa 2009
    • A Mixture of both
    • Something new - please explain

I'd prefer the classic shark. I don't know why TLC thought it was time for a new shark. Considering the fact that the new pirates line has been discontinued anyway after only a short time, it is rather surprising that TLC produced a new mould for that animal. The old shark would've sufficed.

I voted "something new please" since I am not really 100% pleased with either shark...

The old one looks much too small isn't very detailed and not manacing at all. The new one is kind of too cartoonish for me.

What I would really like would be a realistic looking shark that stil has the intimidating lenght of 4-5m in minifig scale.

I don't really care if it can fit an entire minifig; since they're quite fat compared to humans it probably would screw up prpotions again.

I do know this is just a wish that is unlikely to become reality, but you asked for our thoughts, so here's mine :pir-classic:

i definently want a mixture... i would like the look of the classic shark, but with the ability to swallow an entire minifig, as it is a very neat aspect the greatly adds to the playability. The classic shark would also benefit from being slightly larger; about the size of the lego alligator, maybe a little larger

:shark:

Considering the huge variety in shapes and sizes of real sharks, I don't see any need to get rid of either one. I'd love to see both continue to appear in sets, as well as occasional brick-built sharks.

I don't see either as being too cartoony, either, considering they share the stage with the inherently cartoony human minifigures. As long as as many LEGO creations (including most of the ones that would use these sharks) are going to be centered around minifigs anyway, I think quibbles over insufficient realism are kind of silly.

For those who do find the new one too cartoony, though, perhaps they could go with a different print for the eyes. The mold wouldn't have to be changed at all. They change prints on human figures all the time, and other animals have also been presented with different prints / patterns (parrots, cows, cats); why not sharks, too?

I'd prefer the classic shark. I don't know why TLC thought it was time for a new shark. Considering the fact that the new pirates line has been discontinued anyway after only a short time, it is rather surprising that TLC produced a new mould for that animal. The old shark would've sufficed.

Of course, the new shark appeared first in the Agents line, not the Pirates one, and it may be that the old shark was deemed not quite right for the scene depicted in Speedboat Rescue (since the sharks are more the focus of that scenario than most of the other scenarios in LEGO sets featuring sharks). Moreover, that Agents set includes not one but two of the new shark, and Brickbeard's Bounty has one more, making a total of three instances of the shark across the two sets (so far). And BB is still available, too.

I have always really liked the classic shark. I don't know why, I just do. However, I do know that I don't like the 2009 shark, they look like something out of a cartoon.

I definitely prefer the new ones. LEGO horses and humans have always had printed eyes-- why not sharks? Plus, the new one is large enough to swallow a minifigure (or anything smaller), and it's way more versatile (two studs, eight anti-studs, and a clip on the dorsal fins as opposed to two anti-studs and no other connection points whatsoever).

However, I actually voted for a mixture of the two: more specifically, a less expressive and more "fishy"-looking eye printed on the new shark. This, in my opinion, would make for the ideal minifigure-scale shark, and an unquestionably superior alternative to the original design. I don't have any problem with the current printing of the new shark (seriously, people, LEGO is supposed to be cartoony-- why else do you have humans with yellow faces consisting of two dots and a smile?), but a new print with a more "fishy" look would be the best of both worlds.

I don't tend to buy Pirates sets anyway, but I'm really voting what I feel LEGO should work towards in any theme where sharks are necessary.

Something new! SOMETHING NEEEW!! Something more realistic! Older ones haven't been very realistic, of course the latest one was quite... :shark:

I think I'll vote for the classic shark. The new one just looks too cartoonish.

Overall I prefer the 2009 sharks as the ability to swallow a minifig whole is really neat, though it does look a tad too cartoony. I would love to see a remake of the old shark but bigger to eat minifigs, as the 2009 looks like it belongs in 4+. :shark:

Yes, 2009 shark for me and my son, we can recreate scenes from Jaws ! :pir-devil:

I guess the classic one fits with the classic pirates gear of twenty years ago, but I like to go with the flow with something new. :pir-classic: