It's good advice, but i'll wait for the fix first. (That is less costly....)

I have build Jurgens model , it's great.

The bucket is the same(don't have the smaller one)

And yes it will cost more , but i think it's worth it.

I'm on the Lego's list for the new LA's and when i have those i will build it in the 8043 mod ,

and i think it will work even better then.

Edited by rjk1977

I built a fresh set 8043 yesterday, it took me four hours including a pizza and a beer. I regard this as fast building and guess I did well considering that it's a fairly complicated set. My 8043 function well, and even the boom lift up without any struggle what so ever.

Great job LEGO Technic

:laugh:

Front aka

Erland, Part Design

I got my letter through the post today saying enclosed is my replacement parts to make the arm stronger, and also some extra parts to help the Excavator drive more efficiently.

I didn't receive any parts though, I assume because I got the refund but I am still on the mailing list for it.

Just received the Lego service pack for 8043 mods.

Includes - 4 linear actuators, some parts to fix the track drive problem and new instructions for book 1 pages 41 & 45.

re Actuators: at first glance they look identical to existing ones but on close look the serial number is different 36X0 - located on end which attaches to yoke.

I have marked all the new rams with permanent maker so not to get them mixed up - also applied some yellow sticky back plastic around body of the ram - which makes them look much better on the model. New rams should have been made with a yellow body.

Re RH track drive mod; this consist of a black connector block with 2 X holes and 1 plain hole / 2 x blue pins with 1L cross axle / 3L tan pin with stop.

This is fine if you are building the model from the start but if you have a completed model it is almost impossible to fit in place and no instructions given by Lego on how to fit this mod to an assembled model.

In the end I detached the track unit at the turntable and carefully removed the co-axial drive cones, then inserted connector block in place BUT without blue pins - instead I pushed 2 x 3L pins with stops from the other side to hold connector in place which stops the 12T idler gear from slipping down out of mesh. This is quite a tricky task.

The excavator now much smoother & faster when lifting the main boom and track drive OK.

My model was working OK before the mod but has now improved performance.

Doug72

Edited by Doug72

How do new LA's feel compared to old ones? Are they smoother? Do they need more turns?

Edited by Zblj

How do new LA's feel compared to old ones? Are they smoother? Do they need more turns?

Lower friction can be felt if you put a LA under pressure in your hand and then turn the input axle. With the old one a higher torque is required to turn the input, given a fixed axial force.

Lower friction can be felt if you put a LA under pressure in your hand and then turn the input axle. With the old one a higher torque is required to turn the input, given a fixed axial force.

Excellent news! Can't wait until I receive the service pack. So far I've only built the B model (lots of fun!) and decided to wait with the main model until the service pack arrives. Really looking forward to this.

That sounds great. The existing ones did seem to have an issue with this, even in other sets.

That sounds great. The existing ones did seem to have an issue with this, even in other sets.

I agree. I built the 8295 Telescopic Handler this summer, and was quite surprised to experience how tedious it was to raise the boom. It both took a lot of revolutions of the input gear, but more importantly quite some torque at the same time.

And to answer Zblj:

It's all about friction, nothing else has changed.

I built a fresh set 8043 yesterday, it took me four hours including a pizza and a beer. I regard this as fast building and guess I did well considering that it's a fairly complicated set. My 8043 function well, and even the boom lift up without any struggle what so ever.

I wonder if you got the second edition ... what are the numbers on the LAs?

(edit) Now I just have to see how long the service pack takes to get to New Zealand ...

Edited by rgbrown

This looks like great news :D Does this mean the improved version of the set will soon be going to hit the stores again?

I believe its scheduled for reintroduction on the 22nd of October (they say on LEGO site 30days, before it said 22nd of October - if I remember correctly), this for the USA.

Europe (checked Italy), they are talking about the 2nd of November.

Thanks,

Noam

Edited by dolittle

Just received the Lego service pack for 8043 mods.

Includes - 4 linear actuators, some parts to fix the track drive problem and new instructions for book 1 pages 41 & 45.

re Actuators: at first glance they look identical to existing ones but on close look the serial number is different 36X0 - located on end which attaches to yoke.

I have marked all the new rams with permanent maker so not to get them mixed up - also applied some yellow sticky back plastic around body of the ram - which makes them look much better on the model. New rams should have been made with a yellow body.

Re RH track drive mod; this consist of a black connector block with 2 X holes and 1 plain hole / 2 x blue pins with 1L cross axle / 3L tan pin with stop.

This is fine if you are building the model from the start but if you have a completed model it is almost impossible to fit in place and no instructions given by Lego on how to fit this mod to an assembled model.

In the end I detached the track unit at the turntable and carefully removed the co-axial drive cones, then inserted connector block in place BUT without blue pins - instead I pushed 2 x 3L pins with stops from the other side to hold connector in place which stops the 12T idler gear from slipping down out of mesh. This is quite a tricky task.

The excavator now much smoother & faster when lifting the main boom and track drive OK.

My model was working OK before the mod but has now improved performance.

Doug72

Could you please publish the new instructions, so we can see the difference.

Could you please publish the new instructions, so we can see the difference.

Wait for your service pack, then you will get your instructions.

Wait for your service pack, then you will get your instructions.

I'm just curious, what was the purpose of this post?

Sometimes people just want to share...

Taking a picture of the renewed instructions, posting it on brickshelf or any other picturesharingpage and the post them here should take that much time!

So they fixed that sliding 16 tooth gear by using a 3L axle instead of the tan pin, and they better braced the axle that rotates the turntable. How is new LA's clutch? Is it same stiffness as old one?

I received the service pack today. The new LA's have much less friction, they're way better than the old ones. Now I can disassemble the B model and start building the main model.

Or wait, I should first put them in the B model and try out to see how much more weight that it can now lift (double? Or even more? Will have to try it out).