The addition of rubber bands to ease the load on the LA's is also a very good idea that makes a big difference in heavy duty application of LA's. You might not need those rubber bands anymore when we receive the new LA's next month, but we won't know until then.

Ok, I'll remember that. I built the first portion of it, so the treads+underbody, and once I add the 6 axis (which used to be a 4 + stop) the friction increases dramatically on that tread, no matter how I position the gears on that axis :( More precisely, once I add the gear to the bottom of that axis, the axis itself with the right angle conversion works fine

Edited by S.I

This morning i got mobile-call from a representative from TLG. She wanted to talk to me about the 8043 (and about the 8051 and 8052 on which i made several complaints/remarks as well). But i was on the road in France (returning home from a short vacation)and i couldn't make any time to talk to her. She promised to call me back tomorrow. Let's see what they have to say...

Update on that call will follow shortly...

Edited by JunkstyleGio

Page 1 of the instructions are no longer listed on the LEGO website. It makes me wonder if there are more changes than just the new actuators.

They told me that they are working on what they call a "service bag" wich will be ready in October, so probably there will be more parts envolved.

Never read on this topic that someone build the 8043 without buying the set, and sees if the same problems occur.

Well, I ordered at TLG the new parts and the instructions booklets (this set is not comfortable to build from a laptop screen in my opinion).

I did rebuild the set the first time exactly as TLG designed it. Outcome was. All functions do work, except that the main boom is lifting very very slow (all known by you). I used rechargeable batteries, no problems. However, you can hear on the motor sound that this models 'drawns' the batteries very fast. I did never wait for the motors to stall.. if they turn to slow (after 30minutes!) then I recharge before damage occurs.

As well no problems with tracks running out of sync. Yes, when both tracks are starting to crawl on the same time, one has a start-up delay (but that's due to the usage of clutch which couple only on 0, 90, 180 and 270 degrees).

Changes applied: I did correct the gearing on the main-boom (as mentioned by Jurgen and others), this improved a lot. Still, the LA's do have a tough job. The out-of-sycn of the LA's is minor and not the main problem of lifting IMO, so no changes.

Other change I made was to prevent the 16 tooth gear for shift down on the axle/pin (see booklet 1, page 45). Therefore, I applied a beam-5 underneath the gear (I recall that this was mentioned before by someone). Remark: old-gray axle/pins turn smoother into beams then the tan ones... has everyone noticed this before?

So, my thoughts are that TLG will revise the 16 tooth gear step (what explains why booklet-1 is unavailable for download as I read somewhere on this site). And I can imagine that TLG already did work on a LA-upgrade; set 8258 was struggling as well with the load... so this can't be a suprise to them... so that explains why a Service Pack can be available that fast. Must be on the radar already but speeded-up.

Edited by designer-han

Absolutely gutted with my dealings today with my local shop regarding the 8043

This shop has been around for 30+ years as THE place for Lego (only place that sells flagship models locally, next closest would be a city 200km away) but I will not be shopping there again.

Went in in June to inquire about the release date of the excavator and they had just got the new catalogue which had "on sale from September" in it, however the manager i spoke to said they had been told it would be more like end of sept / start of oct.

"No problems," i said "can i pre-order one"

sorry but they do not take pre orders

"Ok then i'll come back and check in on it then around the release date"

So, august rolls around and there are all the problems with the 8043 and so i decided to go in today and see if they have revised the release date because they will want to ship it with the service pack when it's sorted

So i ask this and get told:

"Sorry it's been and gone we only got 2 units and they both sold the same day they went on the shelf and we don't know if we are going to be able to get more if we can it won't be until prob december. what i can do is take your name and number and give you a call then if we get any more in"

"also the price is $400nzd" in today's exchange rate that's:

$287 USD

187 pounds

225 euro

seems a lot compared to 8258 which retailed for $300nzd

suffice to say that if i wanted to artificially increase the price of something i knew i had plenty of demand for then i would just limit supply

I have always been a big supporter of local business but i imagine i'm going to just do my lego shopping online from now on

edit: ok so Lego shop at home lists it for

$400nzd, but only:

$199 usd

139 pounds

189 euro

(it almost seems like they are using out of date exchange rates as traditionally it was $1nzd = 0.5usd and $1nzd = 0.33 pounds, but we have had a much better rate this last 3-4 yrs at least)

"expect shipping end Oct 2010"

ummm. seems like getting the short end of the stick here?

Edited by Frequency

Where in NZ are you? I'm interested to know what shop you're talking of. Ring Moore Wilsons, I'm sure at the $330-ish they're selling it for they'll ship it to wherever you want.

Edited by VMLN8R

Cheers i will have a look into that

I'm near Palmerston North so yea wellington would of been my next option there

store is the Toyworld PN

Edited by Frequency

I really sorry to ask a stupid question, but whats the actual issue with this set, first I thought it was the dual actuators? but I guess its something else?

Someone said this can motor that switches functionality?

There are various issues with this model. Try to read this whole tread.

It will take you some time, but you will learn a lot!

Good luck!

edit: ok so Lego shop at home lists it for

$400nzd, but only:

$199 usd

139 pounds

189 euro

(it almost seems like they are using out of date exchange rates as traditionally it was $1nzd = 0.5usd and $1nzd = 0.33 pounds, but we have had a much better rate this last 3-4 yrs at least)

"expect shipping end Oct 2010"

It's 159 euro actually, but quantities were very limited even prior to this troubles. Our shop chain even had some for 102 euro (with 20% toys discount and extra 20% coupon), but after diriving to at least 6 different stores I found out that they got max. 2 pieces per store.

So, availability is also problem here, but I think (or better - hope) that this will be solved soon and there will be enough sets available in holiday shopping season (from end okotober)

Edited by Cwetqo

I really sorry to ask a stupid question, but whats the actual issue with this set, first I thought it was the dual actuators? but I guess its something else?

Someone said this can motor that switches functionality?

The main problem is the dual actuators that lift the boom. The performance of this function is sometimes very poor and can weaken the motor due to over stressing it. Other than that there are some other, more minor problems such as long geartrains to the other LAs sometimes causing reduced performance of the other functions of the digging arm, one track not operating as well as the other, clutches (function switching) not fully engauging and possibly not slewing that well, but I could be wrong on that last one.

Edited by allanp

Today on TechnicBricks:

According to the latest information that TLG made available to the LEGO Ambassadors, about the 8043 Motorized Excavator set, "the LEGO Group has decided to call back all not sold stock from the retailers to repack the sets - there is no safety issue but mainly a quality issue - the expierence for the consumer with the only slow moving excavator arm is not good enough.

The replacement/solution will likely be ready before Christmas Sales."

Is this a good thing?

Why does TLG advertise this issue to their ambassadors and not directly to their customers (on the homepage of lego.com?

Restocking before Christmas Sales? When is that?

Today on TechnicBricks:

Is this a good thing?

Why does TLG advertise this issue to their ambassadors and not directly to their customers (on the homepage of lego.com?

Restocking before Christmas Sales? When is that?

Don't know if it's good, seems the issue is bigger than they first thought. Christmas sales start in the beginning of December, IIRC.

I´m wondering if the dual linear actuators on the mail boom are just underpowered..?

I experienced the same slow moving lifting of the arm as everybody mentions, but I do not think any parts are damaged. I´ve now built the B-model and it works perfect. So I mean there can´t be any damage to the parts. The B-model is a great model btw. It drives really fast and the scoop moves really nicely, as it looks pretty good imo.

I must thank The LEGO group for the professionalism in the handeling in this issue. Great work!

Even with all the things going on the 8043 I still can say that this set is totally worth the money. (at least the € 132,00 I paid for it...)

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned already, but there is a post on the official LEGO Technic blog about the linear actuators and the upcoming fix. It sounds like all LA's will be different from now on.

September 9, 2010

Linear actuators on 8043 Motorized Excavator to be modified

Just a few days after we launched 8043 Motorized Excavator, some of our LEGO® Technic fans told us about a problem with the model. This problem was unfortunately not discovered during the extensive testing we always do before launching a new product, so we had to run some tests on models provided by our fans.

During the testing we isolated the issue to the linear actuators, which were not moving as smoothly as originally intended. The solution was to modify them and place the new linear actuators in all new sets that we will produce.

We are also making the modified linear actuators available to all existing owners of 8043 Motorized Excavator. If you have experienced problems with the digging arm, please do not hesitate to call LEGO Consumer Service 1-800-838-9647.

Just photoshop... (And not a good one...)

But this way i was able to show the possible differences between the old and the new LA!

Edited by JunkstyleGio