Well, the issue is that the people who returned 8043 entirely, and who are waiting for a "new" version to be released, they will experience the same issues (apart from the LA issue, hopefully)- anyone who doesn't know much about Technic won't be able to solve the track issue, meaning TLG will once again receive calls from disgruntled customers.

It is interesting someone mentioned a drivetrain flaw which i think is addressed in Mr Krooshoop's "ultimate 8043" designs where a drive gear is held only by a tan half pin/axle (not sure of the correct description for this part)

Wow! I also have 8265 but I got it last christmas. I don't had any issues with this.

But I have bought 8297 recently and I have the same issue there! One 16 tooth in the steering system on a technic axle pin is slowly unscrewing while steering.

8297-steering-gear.jpg

I've put a technic beam in front of it to prevent it from unscrewing.

I thought it's because I've build the off roader in a rush (three kids waiting that it will be finished :classic: ) and so the steering is not that smooth. But thinking about it again, why should the gear slide down? Only because there's a lot of torque?

Could it be that the gear or the axle pin has changed slightly?

I've never had a problem with 16t gears sliding off axles or axle pins, but 8t's do it all the time. My 16t gears all grip pretty tightly.

I've never had a problem with 16t gears sliding off axles or axle pins, but 8t's do it all the time. My 16t gears all grip pretty tightly.

The old 16t gears from before my dark ages grip also pretty tightly. But the new ones have much less grip.

To my surprise the 16 tooth gear had HALFWAY worked itself off of the pin from the load caused by normal play with this function so still just enough to still mesh with both other gears (the other side is unable to do this due to placement of 2L friction pin w/ stop that attaches the steering)

Good point. I’ve discovered that my 8265 has the same problem, but on the other side : the 16 tooth gear is pushing the friction pin. If the 16 tooth gear is pushed back in the right position, it slides again slowly when the arm is moved.

I wonder if the new LAs will solve this issue. My 8265 is unpleasant to use, because the movement is rather stiff.

post-12679-128293875406.jpg

I checked my 8265 and those gears had moved outward very slightly, but not to any significant extent.

Someone actually described seeing a new batch of 16t gears here last year, which are said to have a weak grip on axles. I don't seem to have any of these in my sets, but they might be the cause of the problems people are experiencing.

On august 9th i made a email-complaint at the Lego-customerservice about the 2 LA's in the main arm of the 8043 excavator.

This week i got 1 (ONE??....????) LA to replace them.

Very strange.

Guess i'll start wrinting to TLC again.

On august 9th i made a email-complaint at the Lego-customerservice about the 2 LA's in the main arm of the 8043 excavator.

Very strange.

hmmm, that's strange

maybe got sent out before the full extent of the problem had become apparent?

Very strange.

Is the new LA any different?

I have to disappoint you all. It is still the old LA.

We have to wait some more for the new LA!

Edited by JunkstyleGio

New actuators are surely not being sent out before proper testing has proven that the issues has been solved. Testing can't be made overnight, patience is needed.

I've also been put on their list for the service pack, which they state will be out in october :) Can't wait!

I got an email back from LEGO direct today with 3 options to solve the issue. One is the service pack. It will be ready in 3-6 weeks it said.

After some delays I finally got my 8043 last week. I had some free time yesterday so I built the B model. It runs well. The B model can do what it is supposed to do: take a scoop out of a pile of lego bricks, lift it up and dump it in the container. It's a lot of fun to play with.

The B model can lift a full scoop of bricks, but that's also about the maximum weight that it can lift. So the actuators are strong enough for the B model, but the arm of the main model is so much longer that it's hard to imagine that the actuators would be strong enough to lift the arm in the main model (unless they're powered by brute XL force).

If you want to build the main model, I think it's best to wait until the new actuators arrive (or, if you can't wait that long, build Jurgen's 8043 MOC).

Edited by hoeij

Praise for TLG:

After sending them an email last week (about the 8043 problems and one of my 8878's which doesn't recharge right), I got a phonecall from a very friendly lady from TLG today. She told me about the replacement parts (known story by now). They estimate to know more within a month. I even mentioned my solution for fixing a slow-running right-track and she answered it was helpfull information, wich could be usefull for other people. Who knows, they just might include it in a fix-pack. And my 8878 is also being replaced within a week. :thumbup:

I've read about the good service by TLG many times, but it is really true. Their custumor=service is just awesome, lots n lots of other company's can learn a big deal from TLG.

So when they're saying "Only the best is good enough" they really really mean it ! :thumbup:

Praise for TLG:

After sending them an email last week (about the 8043 problems and one of my 8878's which doesn't recharge right), I got a phonecall from a very friendly lady from TLG today. She told me about the replacement parts (known story by now). They estimate to know more within a month. I even mentioned my solution for fixing a slow-running right-track and she answered it was helpfull information, wich could be usefull for other people. Who knows, they just might include it in a fix-pack. And my 8878 is also being replaced within a week. :thumbup:

I've read about the good service by TLG many times, but it is really true. Their custumor=service is just awesome, lots n lots of other company's can learn a big deal from TLG.

So when they're saying "Only the best is good enough" they really really mean it ! :thumbup:

If they'll include your solution for the track problem in their "fix", I say they'll be saving themselves and their customers a lot of trouble.

In France, some people already get a credit of 15€.

So yes, the customer service is really impressive. *huh*

Edited by Anio

It seems like the excavator is relisted on S@H with 30 days ship date for US/Canada and Oct 29 for everywhere else. Lets hope we get our service pack before then.

I have called Lego direct (the Netherlands) and I'm put on the list for the new parts. Also the will keep me updated with the progress.

They told me that the new part, linear actuator is now being produced in the factory.

I bought my 8043 yesterday. The building process was very interesting. But the dual actuators doesnt work and one of the M-motors doesnt work. It can be a connection problem because in some position of the wire it works. So I'm very dissapointed.

I bought my 8043 yesterday. The building process was very interesting. But the dual actuators doesnt work and one of the M-motors doesnt work. It can be a connection problem because in some position of the wire it works. So I'm very dissapointed.

Sounds like a broken cable to me. Call Lego support, they will send you new parts. Also, make sure you mention you want to be on the new part list, so you get the new LA when it is produced.

I'm gonna rebuild my excavator this weekend, with the modifications. Besides the longer axis above the turntable (6 instead of 4), the different gear setup for the dual linear actuators, and the minor change for the motor switching gears, are there any others I should be aware of?

I dont have any of the old differentials not in use, so I wont be able to put one inside the turntable, unless I missed a trick for using the new ones.

I'm gonna rebuild my excavator this weekend, with the modifications. Besides the longer axis above the turntable (6 instead of 4), the different gear setup for the dual linear actuators, and the minor change for the motor switching gears, are there any others I should be aware of?

I dont have any of the old differentials not in use, so I wont be able to put one inside the turntable, unless I missed a trick for using the new ones.

The addition of rubber bands to ease the load on the LA's is also a very good idea that makes a big difference in heavy duty application of LA's. You might not need those rubber bands anymore when we receive the new LA's next month, but we won't know until then.

I got a new M-motor today so I replaced the wrong one. At first the front double actuators didnt work there werent any movement !!! but I rebuild the whole gearbox very carefully.

So the result is without any modification after second build:

- the right track is a bit slower than the left one but it is not significant

- movement is good

- slewing works fine

- digging functions also good except the main arm. The double actuators are slow but they can raise the arm. Lowering the arm is faster but it also can be better

I'm very satisfied with tihis set. It is more complex than the 8258 Crane truck from last year. I really hope that TLG will make other complex Technic sets like this excavator. The build was ver interesting. I advise everybody to build very carefully because the whole model go wrong!!!