However, if you buy one and find that you have Linear Actuators with embossed numerals greater than or equal to "36X0", you can contact Lego Customer Service and they will swap them out at no charge.

Hi DLuders, I think you meant 'less than'.

However, if you buy one and find that you have Linear Actuators with embossed numerals less than or equal to "36X0", you can contact Lego Customer Service and they will swap them out at no charge.

(Sigh) @ Splat: I corrected my post.

Here it is explained in a different way, as I stated on this Eurobricks post 3 months ago:

"There are no identifying marks or numerals on the outside of the 8043 box to be able to tell whether it is an "old" or "new" version. However, The Lego Group supposedly "pulled" all of the old, unsold 8043 sets to replace the four Linear Actuators that were causing problems. Once you open the box, look at the four-character number/letter ID number stamped on the Linear Actuators themselves (near the orange part at the right end of the LA pictured below). If the code is "36X0", "37X0", "38X0" or above, you know you have the NEW Linear Actuators. The first two numbers need to be equal to (or greater than) 36. :classic: The last two digits could be "X0" or something else -- it doesn't matter.

As dolittle mentioned, if you got the old LAs, contact Lego Customer Service and get a free Service Pack."

419803306_tp.jpg

Edited by DLuders