Sign in to follow this  
Optimus

5892 Sonic Boom MOC / Mod

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I picked up 5892 Sonic Boom a few days ago. This is by far one of my favorite LEGO purchases ever! I would say that this is the best airplane TLG has ever released!

Yesterday I decided I was going to make a military version of the set. At first I made a complete copy but in Bley / Dark Grey. I wasn't satisfied so I decided to pretty much revamp the plane itself completely.

I've made a lot of adjustments, including making completely different wings. I also added large flaps on the wings to make it more realistic. Though I made a lot of changes, the basic structure of the plane still exists.

The pictures aren't very good, but it's the best I could do without proper lighting.

Enjoy :classic:

Overview

4901707060_47204627b1_b.jpg

Another view

4901704364_12446faec0_b.jpg

Side View

4901706562_d81234accc_b.jpg

Front View

4901114763_9f3a439507_b.jpg

Thrusters

4901118771_a1fbd69ca6_b.jpg

Top View

4901702730_a504678a3a_b.jpg

In Flight

4901117385_207f90fb2a_b.jpg

Cockpit

4901113301_f342c3bf7e_b.jpg

Landing Gear Up and Missiles

4901117847_eb78b9ecec_b.jpg

Landing Gear Down

4901118305_40979fc2c0_b.jpg

Comparison 1

4901115559_45f0cb11f4_b.jpg

Comparison 2

4901115977_38cd803548_b.jpg

Comparison 3

4901703938_750c480342_b.jpg

More Pictures

Larger pictures at Brickshelf (When Public)

Flickr

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Awesome plane! I love the wings, ans the missiles really make it realistic :thumbup:

Amazing job! This plane is fantastically detailed, the flaps look perfect, and oh, all those lovely missiles :thumbup: I really like the job you did on this, keep bricking mate :laugh:

Amazing job! This plane is fantastically detailed, the flaps look perfect, and oh, all those lovely missiles :thumbup: I really like the job you did on this, keep bricking mate :laugh:

It's actually not, It's kinda hard to tell, but it's actually dark bley not dark blue. I just picked 3 colors that looked good together (Dark bley, Red, White). I thought that the wings looked really bare without any markings, so I had to add a little something to make it look better.

Thanks everyone for commenting!

Wow!

That is an excellent creation! The color scheme is perfect as well. I can just see a whole fleet of mocs based on 5892 now :wink: . Could you have designed the body so that instead of using the 4x4 plates w a row of studs, you would use 4 2x2 plates in the same color?

BTW, why is an A-Wing pilot flying? :wink: .

Good Work!

Sirius

I have to agree, this is by far the best plane TLG has ever released. I especially like the the wheel fenders used for air intake. Brilliant.

I think your military "painted" version looks plain awesome. Very well done :classic:

But I would have kept the plated wings for better playability. Out of curioisity - Why did you change to brick built ones?

But I would have kept the plated wings for better playability. Out of curioisity - Why did you change to brick built ones?

Because you can't fully tile plates to make it look shiny and realistic, I do the same with my models. :thumbup:

I just noticed, isn't that rudder rather high? :laugh:

Good job! This looks very cool. I like it better then the set :wink:

Perhaps it's better than the original (I bought it in France and I'm satisfied). I love under-wings missiles :thumbup: .

Edited by Plastic Nurak