After building the 8043 twice, I thought some things could be improved.

1. Bucket

First of all the bucket had to be changed. The original bucket is way too large and it's working range quite bad making it very hard to dig something. I replaced the bucket with the smaller one from the 8294 and changed the setup. It´s almost the same as on my DEC-24 Remote controlled Pneumatic excavator, It has a larger operating-range, thr rotations-point of the bucket is in a better place and it looks better. The smaller bucket makes it a much more efficient digging-machine.

m5117674_800x600.jpg

For the LA to move well, the panels of the dipper had to be modified:

m5117669_800x600.jpg

m5117673_800x600.jpg

2. Switching driving-rings

The first time I built the 8043, it had some trouble switching the driving rings. Most of the time, the motor had to run twice to completely flip the switch. So I geared down the motor by replacing the 2 16-tooth gears with a 12-20-bevel-gear setup. I also replaced the blue axle-pin with friction (step 35, book 1) with a tan axle-pin without friction.

m5117678_800x600.jpg

3. Rubber belts to help the boom

To get some weight from the boom, I added rubber-bands. They reduce the friction the LA's which is caused by the weight of the boom. I didn't think of this myself but read it in this eurobricks-thread.

m5117670_800x600.jpg

4. Dipper

I changed the point where the second LA connects to the top of the dipper. TLG didn't do this because when the dipper is fully down, the universal joint makes a very big angle. It still works however, but it is propably not too good for the U-joint.

m5117672_800x600.jpg

5. 8878 Rechargeable battery

The back of the superstructure was slightly changed to attach the 8878. There is enough place to connect the transformer. Although the battery gives only 7,4 V instead of 9V, my model operates nicely with it. And the lower weight of the 8878 gives the superstructure a better balance.

m5117677_800x600.jpg

6. PF lights on cabin & boom

Using the 8878 instead of the regular batterybox gave some extra space to connect PF-lights. I put them on the top of the cabin and on the boom. Looks really nice (and now I can dig in the dark :wink: ).

m5117671_800x600.jpg

Finally...

One of the reasons for me to make this topic and video is to show that this model, when constructed correctly & precisely, operates quite well. Although one M-motor clearly doesn't have enough power to lift the boom well (due to the friction in the LA's) it only means it is a bit slower. But it still works acceptably. As far as I can see, there are no design-mistakes.

In fact I love my 8043, it's a really wonderfull model and I'm very happy & proud to be the owner of one.

m51176731_800x600.jpg

Nice work Jurgen!

The smaller bucket is definately something i would consider to put in my excavator, so could you post some more detailed pictures on this mod?

Yes, the original bucket is not optimal for this excavator. But hey, the bucket is great for the B-Model :tongue:

I always thought the point of rotation for the bucket is not right for a excavator. But perhaps the original one can also be "optimized"!?

I'll looking forward to get this set, but sadly not before the end of september because we're in vacation... :sad:

....but sadly not before the end of september because we're in vacation... :sad:

There is one advantage in getting this set later: All the do's don't's and tips and tricks on the excavator will be to full effect!

Nice work Jurgen!

The smaller bucket is definately something i would consider to put in my excavator, so could you post some more detailed pictures on this mod?

Here are step-by-step photo-instructions for the bucket-MOD. Clicking the image will direct you to the full-size image in my brickshelf-folder.

instructions_bucket_klein.jpg

You sure that universal joint works? It looks like it gets close to 90 degrees.

It makes some noise, indicating that it's propably out of its normal working-range, but it still rotates. I usualy try to avoid operating the bucket when the dipper is in this position.

Yes, the original bucket is not optimal for this excavator. But hey, the bucket is great for the B-Model :tongue:

I always thought the point of rotation for the bucket is not right for a excavator. But perhaps the original one can also be "optimized"!?

That's right, but I would rather have had one which was optimized for the main model. And for those who want to keep using the original bucket, Barman has modified it to improve the rotation point. More images can be found in this brickshelf-folder.

04_modified_detail_1.jpg

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop