Sign in to follow this  
XimenaPaulina

J.A.G. - Jedi Attack Gunship

GREAT Mod! I love the added armament throughout, the bottom halves of the bubble gunner stations...much more interior room is great....all around, beautiful 'fixes'. I always admired your Jedi Starfighter 're-designs'. You have a great sense of the proper proportions and 'missing' details from the original kits.

Oh, also love those graphics on the stickers. Do you design them yourself?

Excellent picture documentation as well. Love looking at all of it... :thumbup:

Edited by LegoDad42

Thanks prateek. The wing bubble turret is part of the official RGS, I just added the bottom half.

Oh yeah, that would really be ironic if JAG was used to attack the jedi temple during Order 66.

That's what I meant :grin:

BTW, I just noticed the custom art. Great job on that :thumbup:

GREAT Mod! I love the added armament throughout, the bottom halves of the bubble gunner stations...much more interior room is great....all around, beautiful 'fixes'. I always admired your Jedi Starfighter 're-designs'. You have a great sense of the proper proportions and 'missing' details from the original kits.

Oh, also love those graphics on the stickers. Do you design them yourself?

Excellent picture documentation as well. Love looking at all of it... pirate_thumbup.gif

Thanks for the kind words Sir Legodad42. I don't know why but I really am a sucker for accuracy - maybe it's the 'OC' in me or the frustrated artist in me. I have no lego sets that hasn't been modified. Maybe it's just TLG always (deliberately?) leaves a room for improvement in their sets or I just can't stand seeing blatant inaccuracies/misproprortions in my lego sets. Regarding the sticker, yes I designed the noseart myself, using the 'blank' RGS noseart template by Gold_S via flickr.

Edited by KielDaMan

Glad you like it Doc. And thanks for the info, I never knew that one (I'm a bad RGS fan afterall). It's just that the wing turrets has a space fit for a minifig so I decided to put clone gunners on both.

That's okay. Never a bad time to learn something new in Star Wars. :laugh:(Except, maybe, in a trivia contest with a Chrome C-3PO, Chrome Darth Vader, or White Boba Fett on the line. Been there, done that.)

With 4 printed RGS bubbles at your disposal, why don't you do the side turrets that do use gunners, and brick-build the wing turrets? Do a Flickr search; there are tons of brick-built designs that are superior to anything you can achieve with the printed elements. Tekka Croe has a really nice design; but ran out of the required elements to complete the model:

3276638289_9e0f59f23f_m.jpg

Just use the ball turret design for the wings.

With 4 printed RGS bubbles at your disposal, why don't you do the side turrets that do use gunners, and brick-build the wing turrets? Do a Flickr search; there are tons of brick-built designs that are superior to anything you can achieve with the printed elements. Tekka Croe has a really nice design; but ran out of the required elements to complete the model:

3276638289_9e0f59f23f_m.jpg

Just use the ball turret design for the wings.

As I've said above, I'll be adding the side turrets on the Geonosis-type RGS I'm planning to do. I've seen various brickbuilt side turrets in various MOcs before but they just don't look accurate/realistic to me, because the side turrets of the real RGS are actual glass 'bubbles' unlike the ones I've seen (like above example). So I will be using additional 4 RGS bubbles for the side turrets and keeping the design of the wing turrets.

Sorry I didn't notice before, but the nose art is incredible! A little creation of your's I assume? I also wondered about the shot with all the jedi but I saw it as a non-canon scene when all hope seemed lost and the council was set to make one last charge into an all or nothing battle.

Sorry about that broken link; here's try #2: Canopy. It's not available in trans black yet, but it's coming out on the new UCS Obi Wan's Jedi Starfighter.

Yeah I've seen this canopy before, though I've never thought of using it. Its shape is more accurate to the cockpit glass of the real RGS, but I think the size will be an issue (10 X 6 X 3) vs. the existing canopy (6 x 4 x 2). If there was a smaller version of this one, I would probably try using it.

Sorry I didn't notice before, but the nose art is incredible! A little creation of your's I assume? I also wondered about the shot with all the jedi but I saw it as a non-canon scene when all hope seemed lost and the council was set to make one last charge into an all or nothing battle.

Yup, I custom-created that little custom RGS noseart specifically for JAG. That's my first and only custom RGS noseart so far. There's actually a flickr group dedicated to these custom RGS nosearts where I'm part of: the Lego gunships and cavalry group, where I drew my inspiration for my custom noseart.

The last jedi shot was, of course non-canon, and just a fictitious product of my crazy imagination. default_tong.gif I think your story best captures the essence of the last pic, I like it. default_classic.gif

As I've said above, I'll be adding the side turrets on the Geonosis-type RGS I'm planning to do. I've seen various brickbuilt side turrets in various MOcs before but they just don't look accurate/realistic to me, because the side turrets of the real RGS are actual glass 'bubbles' unlike the ones I've seen (like above example). So I will be using additional 4 RGS bubbles for the side turrets and keeping the design of the wing turrets.

Just how much are you spending on the bubbles???? :tongue:

Just how much are you spending on the bubbles???? :tongue:

One half sphere canopy (half-bubble) costs around a US$1, which ain't that bad. I think I will try to combine these bubbles and the tube-thingy techniques of the example you posted for the planned side turrets.

One half sphere canopy (half-bubble) costs around a US$1, which ain't that bad. I think I will try to combine these bubbles and the tube-thingy techniques of the example you posted for the planned side turrets.

Oh, that's not as bad as I thought. Though $1 for one piece isn't exactly good either, but it is a rarer piece.

Do you plan on using the bubbles from the 2002 RGS or the 2008 edition? If I remember correctly, the '02 version has the older, less reliable but more flexible connection, but the connection point is on the bottom of the bubble and not the top. I'd assume that the bottom connection would be easier to attach realistically for the side turrets.

Do you plan on using the bubbles from the 2002 RGS or the 2008 edition? If I remember correctly, the '02 version has the older, less reliable but more flexible connection, but the connection point is on the bottom of the bubble and not the top. I'd assume that the bottom connection would be easier to attach realistically for the side turrets.

Thanks for pointing that out. Just checked the instructions for the 2002 RGS and the older bubble canopies do seem to have better connection to the body. I did try to make a side turret before using the newer bubbles but I had hard time connecting it to the RGS (and it looks stubier than what it should be). I think I might have to use the older ones which has better and more accurate connection points, though relatively higher price (US$3.50/pc at BL). Thanks for your suggestion.

Wow. I'd buy this in a heartbeat. default_wubnew.gif

You could always buy the official one and do the same simple mods that I did and you'll have JAG then. default_classic.gif

You've made one of my favourite models even better! :wub: I'll be shamelessly stealing the heightened body, and probably taking ideas from much of the rest too.

Maybe I'm already at the limit of four links per sig (? - not so sure) And I think we have new guidelines for sigs, that's what's Siegfried's topic on the new "About Me Page" is all about.

No new guidelines, we're just enforcing them more now that there's a better solution. Even so, Counts have no set link restrictions... :look:

You've made one of my favourite models even better! default_wubnew.gif I'll be shamelessly stealing the heightened body, and probably taking ideas from much of the rest too.

No new guidelines, we're just enforcing them more now that there's a better solution. Even so, Counts have no set link restrictions... default_look.gif

Glad you like it Sir Siegfred. These mods are open to everyone if they want to use it to improve their RGS.

Sorry to get off-topic, but if there are no signature link limits, why am I having a problem adding a link to this topic? Currently I have 4 photos with embedded links. The way I do it is I add the photo (URL link via flickr), then highlight the photo, click the Add Link button, then add the link to this topic. But it fails everytime I do it. Hope you could help. Thanks.

Sorry to get off-topic, but if there are no signature link limits, why am I having a problem adding a link to this topic? Currently I have 4 photos with embedded links. The way I do it is I add the photo (URL link via flickr), then highlight the photo, click the Add Link button, then add the link to this topic. But it fails everytime I do it. Hope you could help. Thanks.

I'm not sure what the problem is/was; I (as TheWalrus who currently is a Count :grin: ) could add the link... and several more. There were some odd bbcode mis-matches in there (such as a bold that went nowhere and an italic that was used too early) which could have caused the problem. In any case I've added the link to your sig and I'll PM you the old version in case I've done something wrong.

I'm not sure what the problem is/was; I (as TheWalrus who currently is a Count default_laugh2.gif ) could add the link... and several more. There were some odd bbcode mis-matches in there (such as a bold that went nowhere and an italic that was used too early) which could have caused the problem. In any case I've added the link to your sig and I'll PM you the old version in case I've done something wrong.

Thanks a lot Sir, your help is very much appreciated. default_classic.gif

You did a lovely job on this MOD, and the way you presented it was very clear and classy :thumbup:

I'll agree wholeheartedly with def here. This thread should - in my opinion - act as a benchmark for anyone wishing to present their MODs and MOCs; you've clearly gone to a lot of trouble.

The only way you might improve this is to add links in the pictures to higher-resolution images; some of the details are a little hard to make out at this scale.

The mod itself is simple but highly effective, and I'll second Siegfried and others in saying I'll be shamelessly copying your ideas when I finally get round to building 7676.

Great job! :thumbup: One question - what medium do you use to print your custom stickers?

I'll agree wholeheartedly with def here. This thread should - in my opinion - act as a benchmark for anyone wishing to present their MODs and MOCs; you've clearly gone to a lot of trouble.

The only way you might improve this is to add links in the pictures to higher-resolution images; some of the details are a little hard to make out at this scale.

The mod itself is simple but highly effective, and I'll second Siegfried and others in saying I'll be shamelessly copying your ideas when I finally get round to building 7676.

Great job! :thumbup: One question - what medium do you use to print your custom stickers?

Thanks for the kind comments Rufus. I'm really glad people appreciate the presentation as much as the MOD/MOC itself. :classic: I'll keep this up with my next MOCs and will further improve it by following your suggestion with links to hi-res images (and also taking better photos - my photography skills and photo studio set-up are works-in-progress). Regarding the stickers, I used a simple sticker sheet (matte finish) bought from a local office supplies store. I'm no expert in printing stickers so I guess there might be better sticker paper types out there.

It does look very good indeed Kieldaman :thumbup:

I always thought TLG did a pretty good job with this model, but you have really made it so much better with just a few nice and simple modifications. :yoda:

Looking forward to the Geonosis version.

It does look very good indeed Kieldaman pirate_thumbup.gif

I always thought TLG did a pretty good job with this model, but you have really made it so much better with just a few nice and simple modifications. default_yoda.gif

Looking forward to the Geonosis version.

Thanks Josh, my Geonosis versions will take some time before I put it up, I have something else in line next to this one.

The acronym just popped out of nowhere and it sounded cool so I used it.

Ah- so i take it you haven't heard of the JAG corp or TV show.

Ah- so i take it you haven't heard of the JAG corp or TV show.

The clothing company I know, the tv show I don't. Actually, I just replaced the Republic in Republic Attack Gunship with Jedi and it just so happened the resulting acronym was J.A.G.

The clothing company I know, the tv show I don't. Actually, I just replaced the Republic in Republic Attack Gunship with Jedi and it just so happened the resulting acronym was J.A.G.

clothing company? I was reffering to the Judge Advocate General corp... but anyways, we're getting a little off-topic.

Sorry to slightly bump this, but this is what I was talking about when I said brick-built turret:

4871636511_37762e0f9e_m.jpg