rday1982

Power Functions in MOCs

Looking over some of SavaTheAggie's notes re: the advantages of PF, and looking at some of the MOC parts I've seen over the last few days on the interwebs, I've been thinking about how I would get power from the PF XL motor to the wheels. Obviously, technic parts and railway wheels would be needed to build bogies capable of transmitting the motion into movement, but what would be the best way to build these? I've had a couple of ideas but I'd be intrigued to see other solutions before I decide that this is what I'm going to end up doing.

I mean, I probably will end up making the switch, but I like to have more than one plan in my head before I do something big like this.

WHy not just use the powerfunctions train motor?

One reason would be to gear down to get high torque at low revs. To avoid wheel slip, both bogies would probably need to be driven. I haven't tried it so I don't know how well this would work. I'm planning to build a small highly geared PF switcher sometime though :) That will be challenging, the batteries will have to go in a separate wagon, which also means less weight for traction :o Perhaps some boat weights will help...

You'll find a few ideas in the Lego Train Ideas group on flickr

WHy not just use the powerfunctions train motor? Unless you're building a steam engine of course.

It isn't available seperately from S@H yet (they had the RC motor still last time I looked), and there were very few on BL. The RC motor is less powerful, and the need to use a clip-on 9V connector will restrict you to custom baseplates or the RC one with battery box. The new PF motor with permanant wire corrects this dis-advantage.

Edited by peterab

You'll find a few ideas in the Lego Train Ideas group on flickr

It isn't available seperately from S@H yet (they had the RC motor still last time I looked), and there were very few on BL. The RC motor is less powerful, and the need to use a clip-on 9V connector will restrict you to custom baseplates or the RC one with battery box. The new PF motor with permanant wire corrects this dis-advantage.

I bought the PF motor on bricklink for a pretty reasonable price. There are only 8 sellers, but their quantities aren't bad. One guy has 17 total.

I wrote about this in a RAILBRICKS blog post in 2009, which can be found here:

http://www.railbricks.com/railblog-categories/power-functions/93-a-power-functions-primer

I was able to build a reliable, robust, geared motor bogie that matches the LEGO train motor in size, shape, function and form.

--Tony

I like that design. Matches pretty closely with what I had in my head. I'm still playing around with concepts in LDD, but that seems to me the way to go for diesel or electric locos. Now I need to figure out how to put together a typical steam loco chassis that has the ability to navigate turns and be powered by an XL motor.

Once I've got it all figured out how I want to do it, I'll be pretty much forced to get an XL motor and battery box to test it out.

I like that design. Matches pretty closely with what I had in my head. I'm still playing around with concepts in LDD, but that seems to me the way to go for diesel or electric locos. Now I need to figure out how to put together a typical steam loco chassis that has the ability to navigate turns and be powered by an XL motor.

Once I've got it all figured out how I want to do it, I'll be pretty much forced to get an XL motor and battery box to test it out.

There is no shame in tender-driven steam. All of my steam engines are powered this way.

--Tony