Klaus-Dieter

2011 City sets

WOW that's a huge improvement from the last version, Thats going somewhere near the top of my wanted list default_tong.gif

Yea its a huge improvement and the trans light blue speed racer windscreen :wub:

I actually quite like this new boat, quite realistic and perfect for everyone to have their own Water Rats....(Aussie Police TV series a few years back).

Keep on catching those crooks ! :grin:

EDIT: Out off box picture for 7287

7287-1.jpg

I don't think we have heard anything about them we don't even know if they are true :classic:

Hmm! It's at least 6-8 pieces too long at the front!

Looks ridiculously out of proportion

Hmm! It's at least 6-8 pieces too long at the front!

Looks ridiculously out of proportion

I agree.

I still have the wish that one day LEGO will make a fully brick-built boat for city!

I agree.

I still have the wish that one day LEGO will make a fully brick-built boat for city!

I doubt it will happen. The reason LEGO uses this current boat base (as well as most specialized boat bases throughout their history) is the fact that it floats. Getting a brick-built boat to float is a much more difficult endeavor.

Getting a brick-built boat to float is a much more difficult endeavor.

And, not unimportant, much more costly as well. :wink:

I doubt it will happen. The reason LEGO uses this current boat base (as well as most specialized boat bases throughout their history) is the fact that it floats. Getting a brick-built boat to float is a much more difficult endeavor.

Well, thats a good point. But I still think there are some people that just collect boats and don't put them in water. :look:

And, not unimportant, much more costly as well. :classic:

I believe that with just a lot of 1x1-6x6 bricks stacked together wouldn't be that expensive. :sceptic:

Edited by Mrlegoninja

Well, thats a good point. But I still think there are some people that just collect boats and don't put them in water. :look:

True, but the City theme is targeted primarily towards kids, many of whom will buy the set for its playability. And while some will be perfectly willing to buy a boat that doesn't really float, others may not even see the point. LEGO has to try and cram as much playability into City sets as possible if they want kids to be interested in them.

And yeah, the cost is also a big factor. Just compare a single-piece boat hull with a brick-built one of the same size. The brick-built one will without question be heavier-- therefore, the cost will probably be higher.

I have no problem with the police boat being that long, it would be suitable for search and rescue missions....though a smaller police launch might have been better with just two officers....but hey, we can MOC'em if TLC don't won't to make the sets ! :wink:

Now I wonder if there is diving gear, etc., like a real police boat ?

Keep on searching ! :wink:

True, but the City theme is targeted primarily towards kids, many of whom will buy the set for its playability. And while some will be perfectly willing to buy a boat that doesn't really float, others may not even see the point. LEGO has to try and cram as much playability into City sets as possible if they want kids to be interested in them.

And yeah, the cost is also a big factor. Just compare a single-piece boat hull with a brick-built one of the same size. The brick-built one will without question be heavier-- therefore, the cost will probably be higher.

I should have said that I wanted a set that could be included in a town set up would be fine, city or not. Maybe an exclusive? I doubt it.

I have no problem with the police boat being that long, it would be suitable for search and rescue missions....though a smaller police launch might have been better with just two officers....but hey, we can MOC'em if TLC don't won't to make the sets ! :wink:

Now I wonder if there is diving gear, etc., like a real police boat ?

Keep on searching ! :wink:

Well I can see some red flippers :sweet:

Yes, between TRU and the Lego Store here in Chicago I've seen all of the new police sets- in fact I picked up the Police Station Friday evening and assembled it. I really like it. Lots of detail and the building looks better than the last one, IMO. I'm not quite sold on the boat yet, but we'll see.

The truck and HQ are in TRU and LS in Dallas and in Frisco Tx. In Frisco, you had to ask for them as they are not on the shelf yet. But the others (minus the helicopter) were.

Yes, between TRU and the Lego Store here in Chicago I've seen all of the new police sets- in fact I picked up the Police Station Friday evening and assembled it. I really like it. Lots of detail and the building looks better than the last one, IMO. I'm not quite sold on the boat yet, but we'll see.

Any chance of a review?

I took lots of pictures when I built the thing, so that might be something I could do tomorrow. I have a love-hate relationship with my camera & PC so things don't always work out for me, but I'll give it a shot! I'm actually surprised no one has reviewed any new City sets yet, but I'll bet the floodgates will open pretty soon.

Someone on Flickr has a review up of 7286 Prisoner Transport. Really great pics.

The new backpack and windscreen are sexyfine, but of course we already knew that. :tongue:

Thats EB's own Ricecracker's review! I spotted it in the reviewers academy. :classic:

Edited by Mrlegoninja

EDIT: Out off box picture for 7287

7287-1.jpg

I don't really see that as a police boat. can't recall ever seeing a police boat so large. I reckon it'd look better as an ocean going fishing trawler.The blue seems better fitted to that. fishing net boom on the back, more compact cabin situated further forward. short mast, load of fish and some CM S3 fishermen. That would work. Look fantastic moored on the other side of the pier to the 7994 big blue cargo ship. throw in the hovercraft pilot from 7045 as skipper and bob's your lobster. :classic:

The smaller classic town police launch sized boat would have worked better here. river launch sort of thing. Don't the coastguard normally take care of deeper waters and have bigger boats?

I don't really see that as a police boat. can't recall ever seeing a police boat so large.

The NYPD has some 55 foot boats, and is adding new 45 foot boats:

04policeboat-popup.jpg

I'm not sure what the scale size of this boat is, but I think it's within those lengths. Although I do agree that the LEGO boat looks a bit long in the front.

can't recall ever seeing a police boat so large.

Think "archipelago" instead of "harbour", if you have 80 nm out and 80 nm back you want to go fast and not be too bothered in rough sea states.

This one's probably as large, but completely different layout and this one's certainly larger. So I wonder if they looked at a type of actual police boats or re-labelled another boat.

Interesting. I just don't really think of 80nm out as being somewhere that would concern police. that sort of distance I just assume is the coastguard or Navy's jurisdiction. I'm prepared to accept it though. I do have an islanders outlook. I forget there are places where grand distances are commonplace.

those police boat photos are cool though. The NYC police boat has a lovely shape to the hull. Wish Lego had made the hull like that. It's much less blocky and angular in the bow. I wonder if changing the white on the deck of the Lego ship to grey would artificially shorten it by illusion.

Edited by Brickenhead-town-dweller

I know that I will soon [next 2-3 months] get the dog truck,minifigure collection,and prisoner transport for sure :wink: . I might by 2012 get the police headquarts,police boat,and mobile command center. Only two things I can really find "BAD" :sweet: :no normal police car set and no motorcycle set. :sad:

:yoda: "May the force be with you."