Klaus-Dieter

2011 City sets

Two things.....the image of the prison van is the best, the police station is well a bit over done.....a cop quad - only the US have quads for their cops to use like that. The police truck set actually might sell well and I like that as muhc as the van, but the dog van is weird looking.

Second, 'Lego-milk' thanks but 'The Brickster' or another MOD will pull these...sorry they are watermarked 'CONFIDENTIAL' and shouldn't be posted here until finalised without said watermarks. Posting to an external site would be the better, save you for the wrath of the moderators ! :wink:

Oh, just noticed the space stuff, the best is the rocket platform - the shuttle you can keep - meh - I don't think I'll be spending my money on much first half Lego - that's if some of these make the first half in Oz (as the fire sets this year were placed in the second half).

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Space shuttle is utter crap. Stupid Playmobil nose...

those new 6-wide windshields---absolutely fantastic. I can already see myself trying to collect those new pieces...

Looks like the new police station is like the current one rearranged and a few pieces replaced here and there... And it's pretty good looking.

Hmm..that rocket on the launchpad has an odd shaped nose. That police station is pretty cool looking, but do we really need another station so soon?...

Hey, I just checked out Lowlug - there is another image not spoken of yet....the police boat...a sweet looking patrol boat - totally unlike the coast guard and fire ones and the buy guy is riding on a jet ski !

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

I like the new police stuff, only decision to make is whether to buy the police station or whether to buy the good bits on Bricklink. Although given that one of the best bits in the set (the white bike) is going to cost a fortune, it may be worth just buying the thing.

the police station design makes more sense than the last two plus it looks like a beefier building. I'm pleasantly surprised. And in combining it with the last police station set it'll make for a mighty fortress of law. I quite like the extended prisoner transport truck too. In a way it's disappointing that there's little real difference but also it's kind of cool that this new batch of sets builds on previous sets.

It's interesting that Lego chose to update the dog. Am I right in thinking only the shark has been redesigned out of all the other animals?

Edited by Brickenhead-town-dweller

Space stuff is OK. The shuttle's no Adventure, but it's still OK as far as standard City stuff goes. I'm curious why nobody seemed to complain about old boat parts and 9V train parts being "<insert that tiresome argument>"... always struck me as a bit stupid that people have that sort of double-standard.

I note that the shuttle and rocket both have the same logo as the Shuttle Adventure did. It seems LEGO has settled on a new logo for "near-Earth" LEGO space. I like it because it pays tribute to the "deep-space" logo of yore with its red rocket ship, and yet its large, familiar Planet Earth reminds us that we're close to home.

The astronauts use the Atlantis helmets and visors. That might be just prelim, but I totally support it if it makes it to the final product.

If I ever do get to making a Shuttle Carrier Aircraft or Mobile Launching Platform, I'm still going to try to make either compatible with the Shuttle Adventure set. It surprises me that nobody's made either of those things yet, and the old Launch Command theme (which had both a Shuttle Carrier Aircraft and an MLP) was a staple of my childhood.

Police stuff, likewise, seems to be up-to-par with Town themes. The police station's not totally gorgeous, but I'm glad that it's innovative rather than just being an "update" of an older style of police station. I've never been a major collector of town sets, but the Space sets are cool. It's noteworthy that they're the first Space sets to be officially part of the City theme-- both Launch Command and Space Port have been considered such on Brickset and this site, but neither was marketed as such during their lifespans.

Thank you very much for the link to furhter information, Fugazi, and for the pics, legomilk! :classic:

Although I'm disappointed that we don't see any Zoo theme and although I'm really angry about that we won't get any more Farm sets (at least not from what we know until now), I must admit that the majority of the first half of 2011 City sets looks amazing! :thumbup:

Police Dog's Car :hmpf_bad:

nice to have an extra car for the dog

but nevertheless uncomely, they could at least have added some car doors

Police Boat ?

unluckily to blurry the picture to be aible to see the details clearly - so will wait for a final judgement until we'll get less blurry pics

only two things: pro: looks like more classic design, a small boat the police hunts; con: no yawl for the police boat

Police Mobile Command Unit :thumbup:

seems only like a re-release of the currently availabe one

but with some nice additional stuff: car doors in both cars, gold bar and small red cabriolet

the only thing which really disturbs me is that we get again a red civilian car - some on we need blue and black civilian cars with car doors and roofs!

Police Minifigure Collection :thumbup:

great small additional set

only the question for who needs that many criminals

but it's great to see that we'll get an automatic teller

Police Prison Van :wub:

an awesome set with everything you need for plenty of playbility

I mainly like the desgin of the car (with car doors), the motorcycle and the rucksack with the bill

Police Station :wub:

finally we get a huge and decent police station which doesn't look that <insert that tiresome argument>

it's a pity that the smaller police car includes no car doors

but all in all: amazing

I really like its architecture, the many new and old accessory

I'm really excited what we'll get for the interior (I mean to detect some sort of reception on the first floor and a coffee machine on the third floor - can you detect more?)

To summarize the new police sets:

The new dog's car and the mobile command unit aren't that stunning.

The minifigure collection is a nice little set in order to get a few extra police men and cirminals, a quad and a useful automatic teller.

To the police boat I don't want to say more before not having seen less blurry pics.

But the new prison van and the new police station are both totally stunning! The new prison can is a must-have for every real City fan and the new police station is a brilliant possibility for those which haven't got a (nice and decent) police station yet to get one!

I'll comment on the Space sets in some hours.

Klaus-Dieter

Meh, police-based sets again. Some new elements are interesting (new car window, new dog mold) but it's he same old police that we get always get every 2-3 years. Hope to see more civilian sets in 2011, that's what made 2010 city rather successful.

I think that the white bike is neat (although its going to cost a FORTUNE on BrickLink if you dont want the entire set)

I REALLY love the new windscreen and hope it appears in Trans-Light-Blue and Trans-Smoke (Trans-Clear would be great too)

Edited by jonwil

So here my proposed comment about the Space sets:

Space Shuttle :hmpf_bad:

perhaps it looks better when the cargo bay is closed

but the satellite/telescope is much too small and its solar panels, too

there for sure will sadly be only a cockpit for interior

booster rockets and red/orange tank are missing

Moon Buggy ?

since this is the only set of which we haven't got a picture (and since I really do not anymore remember the picture I saw already about one month ago) I can't tell my opinion

Small Rocket Launch Pad With Truck :wub:

the small rocket and the small satellite look ok

but the mobile control station and the truck look amazing

Space Port :wub:

the only thing which disturbs me here are the numbers on the right side - that's really babyish (I know that Lego is mainly a kids' toys - but nevertheless, plus the numbers 13 til 4 are missing)

but otherwise it's brilliant

I really like the idea of putting not a Space Shuttle but a rocket inside that set

the control center looks as if it includes a decent interior and is not that small than the control centers in the older Space sets

I wonder whether the Space Shuttle can be set on the "vehicle" to drive it to the launch pad and whether it can "start" there, too.

To summarize the new Space sets:

Regrettably I can't say something to the moon vehicle since we haven't got yet a picture of it.

The Space Shuttle is a bit disappointing. Its non-cargo interior is very supposably only including a cockpit. And the booster rockets and the orange/red tank to start it are missing.

But the small rocket launch pad with truck and the space port are - although they're mainly re-designs of older sets - totally stunning! Esp. the bigger, more detailed vehicles and locations and the new rocket are really a must-have for someone who doesn't own the older Space sets.

About possible future Space and Police sets in 2011-2012:

I really wish that we'll get a small Space station :wub: (like a part of the ISS in System scale and style; perhaps with control room, laboratory, kitchen, toilet, storing room, two locks and huge solar panels and a telescope outside). That would outstanding. Plus a re-design of one of the Space Shuttle Transport :thumbup: sets (with the Space Shuttle on a truck trailer, an ecort vehicle and maybe even one or two motorcycles) would be great, too. So if we get these sets or some more Space sets at all, than they supposably will appear in the first half of 2012 (like Farm: 2009: main wave, 2010: two additional sets).

If we get a Harbor theme in summer 2011, this would be the chance to get a small Police Harbor :wub: . It could be designed after the one TLG released around 1991. It could/should include a big pier with barrier or gate, a small building with office downstairs and recreation room upstairs, a medium-sized police boat (not that big than the one which will be released in March-April 2011, but even not only that big like a rubber boat) and a small boat for the smugglers). That would be amazing!

A Police Cross-Country Vehicle With Boat And Trailer :thumbup: (only with a four studs wide boat - similar to the CG Cross-Country Vehicle With Jetski) would be great to get in this wave, too.

What is your opinion? What do you think?

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Meh, police-based sets again. Some new elements are interesting (new car window, new dog mold) but it's he same old police that we get always get every 2-3 years. Hope to see more civilian sets in 2011, that's what made 2010 city rather successful.

I partly agree with you, KielDaMan.

On the one hand I really like the majority of the new Police and Space sets. They are much better and more detailed designed, look more realsitic and offer more playbility than former verions.

On the other hand you're right: There really have to be some civilian sets, too. From which I know, the Farm sets sold very well. So why does it seems as if TLG did decide to stop releasing new sets although we've got still that a huge wishlist?! In my local toy shops, the shelves are full with Bruder and siku sets - and about one third of them is only farm related. So kids really are interested in farm. And consequently I really don't understand why we don't get more sets of it in 2011. I've got the bad feeling that since we won't get some new Farm sets in the first half of 2011, we won't see any in 2011. (Perhaps TLG decided to stop the release of new Farm sets after 2010 and now plans to release a new Farm set with - more or less exactly the same sets as we got in the current line - in 2013.)

But imo it's wrong with argueing with "civilian" sets we got this year that made this year so popular. I mean: The only civilian sets we got this year were 3222, 8404, 8405 and the TRU set. All the other sets were sets from not civilian themes which repeat all three until four years (Fire, Airport, Trains and Transportation/trucks).

Klaus-Dieter

I partly agree with you, KielDaMan.

On the one hand I really like the majority of the new Police and Space sets. They are much better and more detailed designed, look more realsitic and offer more playbility than former verions.

On the other hand you're right: There really have to be some civilian sets, too. From which I know, the Farm sets sold very well. So why does it seems as if TLG did decide to stop releasing new sets although we've got still that a huge wishlist?! In my local toy shops, the shelves are full with Bruder and siku sets - and about one third of them is only farm related. So kids really are interested in farm. And consequently I really don't understand why we don't get more sets of it in 2011. I've got the bad feeling that since we won't get some new Farm sets in the first half of 2011, we won't see any in 2011. (Perhaps TLG decided to stop the release of new Farm sets after 2010 and now plans to release a new Farm set with - more or less exactly the same sets as we got in the current line - in 2013.)

But imo it's wrong with argueing with "civilian" sets we got this year that made this year so popular. I mean: The only civilian sets we got this year were 3222, 8404, 8405 and the TRU set. All the other sets were sets from not civilian themes which repeat all three until four years (Fire, Airport, Trains and Transportation/trucks).

Klaus-Dieter

There's more than 4 civilian sets this year. Although, I'm not sure what you're definition of civilian is? Because you mention 3222 and 8404 as civilian, then you go and list transportation/trucks as non civilian themes? Also, I'm not familiar with am 8405, I'm guessing that's a typo.

It's hard to speculate on next year, and how much money I'll be spending on the City line. 2010 was my first foray into City so obviously I spent a pretty penny picking up what seems like just about everything that's been available on regular shelves. Moving into next year, I see myself being much more conservative-- at first glance the only thing that seems like a must-have is the prison transport truck, maybe the police figure collection. I just picked up the Police HQ and the command center and am very satisfied with it, so why would I get the new ones? The boat looks pretty cool, but I've never envisioned my city as a harbor town.

BUT, all of this will mean nothing, until we see high quality pics and/or the box in person. I've been proven wrong many times with Lego products-- I originally rolled my eyes at reviews of the 3178 seaplane but once I caved in and bought and built the thing, it's been one of my favorite little models of last year. So I'm smart enough to withhold any strong opinions until then.

Moving forward into the second half of 2011, I hope to see more civilian life, or even non-police & fire sets. There's plenty I've missed out on. I'd love a new garbage truck. I walked past the street sweeper for years looking for Hoth battlepacks. I browse eBay longingly for the cement mixer. They know how to do these sets the right way-- they've proved it in the past two years-- and it's hard to believe they'd drop all plans since it all seems to be selling right off the shelves. I'll wait, and trust that TLG knows what they're doing.

PS. Still waiting for my dream set of a lakeside log cabin with the dock on the water, complete with a raccoon going through the trash. One day, Lego, one day... YOU OWE ME :laugh:

Edited by Mr. Elijah Timms

I'm not impressed with the space sets. They look a little bit uninspired. Maybe they look better on bigger pictures.

The police sets look a lot like the last ones. The dog car could be nice. At the moment there is not much for me in this sets. But my opinion can change :wink:

Edit: removed the links to the pictures. Somehow I didn't notice they were already posted. Sorry.

Edited by Plissken

I love you legomilk for always bringing us all these new pics :wub:

Although the drool is not salivating as much this time :grin:

To start with that Police Station looks very similar to the most recent one. White bicycle though!! :wub:

The little prison van is ok, I really like how the crook has a red dirt bike and a backpack with what looks like a 100 dollar printed tiled :laugh:

The police sets are slight improvement because I notice civilian bits (red car, dirt bike, white bike) added in them, which is great compared to when they consisted of police only and an occasional crook.

The Space theme is well like mentioned kinda uninspired. However I like the rocket pad and what looks like a new astronaut.However I wasn't expecting much because I always preferred space as its own theme and not a city subtheme.

I like the new Policestation since it looks like a real house. It will fit more into a city. I also like, pionted out earlier, there is civilians in som new police set. Lego keep getting better! :classic:

Edited by Ferdik

Im happy for the Space Theme, but not Police the reason why is because a Zoo Sub-theme would be Lot's better. for example, if lego teem up with a charity like WWF They could have all of these different animal exhibits (Panda, Tiger, etc...) and for every one they sell, the money could go towards a charity (like WWF). That would be a whole lot better than Police again default_sadnew.gif .

Edited by The Red Brick

Im happy for the Space Theme, but not Police the reason why is because a Zoo Sub-theme would be Lot's better. for example, if lego teem up with a charity like WWF They could have all of these different animal exhibits (Panda, Tiger, etc...) and for every one they sell, the money could go towards a charity (like WWF). That would be a whole lot better than Police again default_sadnew.gif .

That would be quite epic. I think their sales would go up. :thumbup:

I really like the police sets, but the space sets are okay. I'm disappointed that the shuttle is made with the big ugly plane piece (BUPP ©) :grin: