Klaus-Dieter

2011 City sets

The last word on the NASA budget is that Congress is pushing for a new direction based on re-using shuttle infrastructure like the SRBs. (and thus keep jobs going in a down economy, important for politicians up for reelection soon)

It's about the size of this year's airplane in 3181 - perhaps a bit smaller but with the same new cockpit piece - so it's for sure 6 studs wide.

Oh, good. Thanks for that! I might actually be able to buy it.

If those prices are close to Australian dollars, I'll probably get the cheapest three sets.

Oh, by the way, what does the shuttle look like? Is it like the recently released Shuttle Adventure's one?

Edited by Delta 38

I'm not to happy with these new lines, police could be expected but I think space is well, original these years. I would like it more to see a new harbor but since I don't own a space shuttle I like the idea of this subtheme.

I really hope that TLG is going to release minimum one Farm set in summer 2011.

It would be a shame if TLG stopped the Farm theme already after two years since there are still that many sets left which could and should be released (esp. agriculutal vehicles and machines, a farm shop, a farm house, a horse stable, a chicken stable and a big garden with glas house). Plus the Farm sets are very popular among JFOLs as well as AFOLs.

Oh, by the way, what does the shuttle look like? Is it like the recently released Shuttle Adventure's one?

It looks similar to 10213 - but not that heavily brick-built. Plus I think it is not that long. And not exactly the official NASA design (I think the nose is not black - but I even might be wrong about that.)

Klaus-Dieter

Btw:

Since there'll be ancient columns included in two of the Atlantis sets in 2011, this does TLG give us the possibility to release a Roman or Greek theme in the future.

But/And it even gives TLG the possibility to design an ancient styled bank.

So do you think that there will be a/the City Square as the January 2011 Exclusive?

And do you even think that this City Square would then include an ancient styled bank (the interior could and should of course be modern, but the architecture ancient)?

Klaus-Dieter

With 'Klaus' commenting on a city square made me think.......when public transport won the poll, I believe Lego had a truck stop and city square designed, costed, etc., to go into production. I would not be at all surprised in seeing either comming out in the mid year release for 2011 or even 2012.

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

With 'Klaus' commenting on a city square made me think.......when public transport won the poll, I believe Lego had a truck stop and city square designed, costed, etc., to go into production. I would not be at all surprised in seeing either comming out in the mid year release for 2011 or even 2012.

I'm a conformist! ! default_satisfied.gif

Why would you say those two options were designed and costed? We only ever saw line drawing sketches in the poll topic. And those contained bits of existing sets or sketches from the unreleased summer wave, so there was a fair amount of recycling going on.

It doesn't really make logical sense if LEGO gave an option of A, B and C, and A was the clear winner, and then they subsequently released B and C as 'consolation' releases two years after that. What's the point of a poll if they are just going to release all the sets anyway? I think they'd go back to the drawing board and try to improve on their initial concepts.

Btw:

Since there'll be ancient columns included in two of the Atlantis sets in 2011, this does TLG give us the possibility to release a Roman or Greek theme in the future.

But/And it even gives TLG the possibility to design an ancient styled bank.

So do you think that there will be a/the City Square as the January 2011 Exclusive?

And do you even think that this City Square would then include an ancient styled bank (the interior could and should of course be modern, but the architecture ancient)?

Klaus-Dieter

IIRC in the pictures, the City Square looked a lot like Town Plan. If that's the case, its already been released.

It doesn't really make logical sense if LEGO gave an option of A, B and C, and A was the clear winner, and then they subsequently released B and C as 'consolation' releases two years after that. What's the point of a poll if they are just going to release all the sets anyway? I think they'd go back to the drawing board and try to improve on their initial concepts.

There was a TRU poll to choose between three Star Wars sets in 2008. One of the option got the most votes. It was released in 2009 as the TRU Exclusive (Mon Calamari Cruiser). But one of the two other sets was released this year (Slave 1).

So why shouldn't that be possible with City, too, Svelte?

If TLG wasn't convinced that all three options would make great sets, they wouldn't have added them to the poll.

Plus Mirandir mentioned somewhere some time ago that he got the info that all three ideas will be released (and since he was right about the TRU Truck including a toy shop before we had any set description or set pics, I trust him). Plus the last big non-Winter City Exclusive (10184) was already released three years ago and this year we didn't see more than only two civilian buildings this year (of which one was even "only" availabe via TRU).

IIRC in the pictures, the City Square looked a lot like Town Plan. If that's the case, its already been released.

These pictures were only ideas, marvinblue. Both the Public Transport and the City Square contained in the same year already released sets (the yellow bus from 7641 and the pizzeria styled building from 7641). After some of yours, ideas that TLG will include in these sets which were exactly shown on the TRU pic, even the Public Transport either would not have been released or would have included everything shown on the according pic or again the same yellow bus included in 7641.

I would not be at all surprised in seeing either comming out in the mid year release for 2011 or even 2012.

I partly agree with you, lightningtiger.

I think that the Truck Stop - which for the non-exclusive release will surely be modified into a regular gas station - will be released in summer 2011 as a regular City set.

But the City Square would promise more if released as a big Exclusive - plus it would be more AFOL oriented than JFOL oriented. So it's more likely that if it was released, it'll be released as a big Exclusive. And since it's very likely that we'll see another Winter set in 2011, it's very unlikely that a 150 Euros big City Exclusive will be released only about two or three months before since they in this way would concurate. So if there was an exclusive City Square in 2011, it's imo the most likely to be released in January.

For 2012 I don't see one of these options to be released. At that time the poll would be already much too long ago. But of course I even might be wrong.

I don't want to say with that that it's hundred percent for sure that we'll get the City Sqaure next January. I personally think it's 1:2 (either a/the City Square or a Space City (as end of SP3) or a Western village (Pirates is excluded since we had the Imperial Flagship already this year and Kingdoms is excluded, too, since we can for sure await a second big wave of Kingdoms sets in summer 2011)). But objective it's at least possible and not excluded.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

It looks similar to 10213 - but not that heavily brick-built. Plus I think it is not that long. And not exactly the official NASA design (I think the nose is not black - but I even might be wrong about that.)

Hmm, okay. That fits my criteria somewhat. I don't really mind if it's not too long, though.

Mmm.... If there is a new Police boat, we could expect a new Harbour aswell

also Klaus what colour were the base plates in the space theme, I hope they aren't grey default_hmpfbad.gif

Edited by The Red Brick

The policeboat does indeed sounds interesting, but I hope it looks more like the newer ships rahter than the ones from around 2005. I also hope for a new harbor

also Klaus what colour were the base plates in the space theme, I hope they aren't grey default_hmpfbad.gif

I would have to lie to tell you the wright answer - I simply forgot the color. It might be dark grey, but perhaps it even was green. And who knows whether TLG not finally uses tan?

Mmm.... If there is a new Police boat, we could expect a new Harbour aswell

I really hope so. The last harbor theme from 2007 was really great! But there are even some things which could be done better or different.

And who says that we always only want to get cargo harbor stuff?! Some small civilian harbor scenery would be awesome, too.

That there's a polie boat in 2011 does not necessarily mean that we even will get a new harbor theme. E. g. a fire boat was released this year, too, and we didn't get a new harbor theme. And in 2005 we got a police boat, too, but the harbor sets appeared firstly in 2007.

As much as I'd like to see a new harbor theme, I even have doubts about whether I want a new one in 2011 at all. Of course some new harbor sets would be even more awesome than the ones from 2007 were.

But a new harbor theme would even mean that there is less place for shops and other civilian stuff. 2010 was and still is a great year for City. But apart from the brilliant City House and the small TRU Shop we don't get any civilian building (if you don't count 10216). 2010 is imo too much focused on vehicles and too less focused on buildings. So a supermarket or at least a grocery and a bank and a snack bar and a cargo depot or modern cargo center are really overdue - since long.

Unluckily I think the first rumors on the 2011 City sets will firstly appear in November. So there is still a long time to wait and see.

Klaus-Dieter

I would have to lie to tell you the wright answer - I simply forgot the color. It might be dark grey, but perhaps it even was green. And who knows whether TLG not finally uses tan?

I really hope so. The last harbor theme from 2007 was really great! But there are even some things which could be done better or different.

And who says that we always only want to get cargo harbor stuff?! Some small civilian harbor scenery would be awesome, too.

That there's a polie boat in 2011 does not necessarily mean that we even will get a new harbor theme. E. g. a fire boat was released this year, too, and we didn't get a new harbor theme. And in 2005 we got a police boat, too, but the harbor sets appeared firstly in 2007.

As much as I'd like to see a new harbor theme, I even have doubts about whether I want a new one in 2011 at all. Of course some new harbor sets would be even more awesome than the ones from 2007 were.

But a new harbor theme would even mean that there is less place for shops and other civilian stuff. 2010 was and still is a great year for City. But apart from the brilliant City House and the small TRU Shop we don't get any civilian building (if you don't count 10216). 2010 is imo too much focused on vehicles and too less focused on buildings. So a supermarket or at least a grocery and a bank and a snack bar and a cargo depot or modern cargo center are really overdue - since long.

Unluckily I think the first rumors on the 2011 City sets will firstly appear in November. So there is still a long time to wait and see.

Klaus-Dieter

thanks for that news KD, I hope to see some new buildings too, bu can't wait to see the new police sets :)

I am quite certain based on the past City patterns. Pretty confident that City Harbour will be next, just like the City Airport this year. It might not be on the January wave but it might be somewhere later.

I am quite certain based on the past City patterns. Pretty confident that City Harbour will be next, just like the City Airport this year. It might not be on the January wave but it might be somewhere later.

Your quite right WhiteFang.

Airport Started in 2006 and was re-introduced in 2010

Train Started in 2006 and was re-introduced in 2010

Construction started in 2005 and was re-introduced in 2009

Police Started in 2005 and was re-introduced in 2008 / 2011

Harbour Started in 2007 and could Possibly be re-introduced in 2011 ???

Notice how they all have a 4 or 5 year gap between them.

But what about a hospital sub-theme, the last hospital set was 2005/2006 so we should get a hospital/medical set before any new harbour sets.....but still a bigger cargo ship would be nice or even a passenger ferry would be very interesting indeed !

But what about a hospital sub-theme, the last hospital set was 2005/2006 so we should get a hospital/medical set before any new harbour sets.....but still a bigger cargo ship would be nice or even a passenger ferry would be very interesting indeed !

Oh I forgot about that, so we might be seeing Harbour or Hospital In the second half of 2011.

I hope we see both :laugh: ,but i want hospital more than harbour :classic:

I'd have to agree... I just don't see my growing city as a coastal town... riverside, maybe. BUT at the same time, some nice sets might convince me otherwise.

On the other hand, certainly every city needs a hospital, esp. with all these outbreaks of zombies, robots, and time-displaced spartans. I can't believe my city has a truck just to change the bulbs on the streetlights, but not an ambulance!

Yes, a new ambulance is needed similar to the 7639 camper van - that would be awesome ! :thumbup:

Now isn't it about this time of year that pictures of city stuff come out, we have had some SW ones.....ah the waiting game eh ? :wink: