Klaus-Dieter

2011 City sets

Just reading about the giveaways with qualifying offers at the Shop.Lego.com-- you know, 30062 Target Practicefor the US and 7235 Police Motorcyclefor the UK. Got me to wondering...

Why do we have so many Police sets, especially smaller sets like 7236 and 7741, that sit on retail shelves basically year after year, and yet the motorcycle has disappeared from retail shelves and is only available online? Any chance that they might be put back out on the shelves in 2012?

I've got a whole handful of highway patrol officers from Series 2 that are just begging for their own cycles over here!!

That motorcycle has been around in Australia for the past two series of police sets, maybe six years. I guess the reason you can't find it is it sells out, or it's so old your local retailers don't stock it. It's probably being given away here and the UK to clear stock for a replacement. I imagine you'll be able to pick it up on bricklink easily. Anything that is on the shelves for more than one wave is pretty much guaranteed to have had high sales.

That motorcycle has been around in Australia for the past two series of police sets, maybe six years. I guess the reason you can't find it is it sells out, or it's so old your local retailers don't stock it. It's probably being given away here and the UK to clear stock for a replacement. I imagine you'll be able to pick it up on bricklink easily. Anything that is on the shelves for more than one wave is pretty much guaranteed to have had high sales.

It's never been available on retail shelves in the U.S. for some reason, which I've never understood since other than the box being a little bigger than the usual it would be a great impulse set. I've picked up some from Shop at Home, and the LEGO Store near me has it, so you can still get it if you want it.

It's never been available on retail shelves in the U.S. for some reason, which I've never understood since other than the box being a little bigger than the usual it would be a great impulse set. I've picked up some from Shop at Home, and the LEGO Store near me has it, so you can still get it if you want it.

Yeah that is surprising. Though it does fit with a pet theory I've had about the US market for some time. The year after the start of the GFC in discussions of US pricing surrounding the release of TLGs annual report, there was a statement made that the US prices were artificially lower than the rest of the world as TLG saw it as an important market for future growth. My theory is that this means certain sets which are the least profitable will be unprofitable in the US market. The US seems to miss out on sets such as the advent calendars, and certain sets with lots of minifigs, it also had a small delivery of series 1 collectable minifigs, later series had a price hike. Minifigs are known to be expensive to produce relative to simpler non printed bricks etc. This set fits that pattern given the motorbike is probably also not cheap to produce relative to simpler bricks.

Edited by peterab

Yeah that is surprising. Though it does fit with a pet theory I've had about the US market for some time. The year after the start of the GFC in discussions of US pricing surrounding the release of TLGs annual report, there was a statement made that the US prices were artificially lower than the rest of the world as TLG saw it as an important market for future growth. My theory is that this means certain sets which are the least profitable will be unprofitable in the US market. The US seems to miss out on sets such as the advent calendars, and certain sets with lots of minifigs, it also had a small delivery of series 1 collectable minifigs, later series had a price hike. Minifigs are known to be expensive to produce relative to simpler non printed bricks etc. This set fits that pattern given the motorbike is probably also not cheap to produce relative to simpler bricks.

My local Tesco still has loads of them so I can pick some up and post them if anyone wants?

I agree 'Klaus' about a new construction sub-theme and two reasons, one - a balance for boys sets against the up comming girl theme sets and two, a business reason - the battle against their old foe....Mega Bloks and their own city style sets including construction vehicles.....fight the MB power ! :devil:

Brick On ! :grin:

I recently found a Mega Bloks set at a local discount store. I never was a fan of Mega Bloks. I got it because it's of a licensed Formula 1 race car that Lego probably will never do. It had some nice special pieces as well as some painted pieces. The thing is the pieces themselves were simply not as good as Lego. The large chassis was warped, some pieces didn't stay down in place all that well. The silver pieces were very cloudy looking and not a consistent color. The pieces themselves are too rounded IMO. Overall a disappointing set, and the only redeeming value is that it was pretty inexpensive and it was a licensed F1 car that Lego wouldn't do.

My point is that Mega Bloks will always be Mega Bloks and they just are not the same. I think they appeal only to fans of their particular licenses like Halo and/or price weary parents looking for cheaper alternatives to Lego. They may give some competition, but they will always be a second rate building toy.

Even the childrens Mega Blox are of horrific quality. We bought our daughter a Yo Gabba Gabba set and the bricks won't even allow us to build a tower. Some bricks are just loose and half the time it's the bottom and half the time the top so any attempts to ferret out the bad ones has you removing most of them. Too frustrating to play with.

Any time anyone complains about Lego prices I suggest they buy an MB set. They're cheaper for a reason.

Any time anyone complains about Lego prices I suggest they buy an MB set. They're cheaper for a reason.

You get what you pay for, I will say :wink:

The 2011 Police sets are just great. I got a couple of them, and I have to say they just rock.

There are reviews for every 2011 Police set, but no review of the 7498 Police Station... Did this set just let people down?

I just watched a review of it on youtube and it seems like a really cool set - but as there's no review here in Eurobricks, I have to say I got that "calm down and think twice" before buying it.

So, is there any special reason for no one even mentioning 7498 Police Station? (now THAT sounded much more dramatic than I intended... :laugh: )

I wouldn't be to concerned with there not being a review for 7498.

I think one reason that there is no review of the new set; is that it's very similar to the Police Station that it replaced. Which by my reckoning was still out last year. The majority of people who bought the old one wouldn't see any need to buy a second Police Station, ergo there wouldn't be a review for the new set.

I don't own 7498 so I can't speak from experience, but it looks like a fine set. Being that both the Youtube video, and Brickset's reviews seem very positive the set is probably fine :wink: .

If I were you I'd go for it. Maybe you could even post a review on Eurobricks :classic:

No need to start a new topic regarding a review that has not been done yet - imagine if we had that for every new set. :wink: Patience is your friend, someone will eventually make one.

I'll merge this with the 2011 City topic in case anyone wants to add to the discussion regarding the set itself.

I can not see children using these, well that often.....but Lego forgot to print the usable sticker....Happy Birthday......then a kid would love to have a Lego character give him or her a birthday message. :sweet:

Also Get Well or Having A Great Time.....a new version of a greeting card....a minifig one ! :grin:

I think you get blank message cards to add your own custom speech...

there is one vendor that has them already listed... but not quite available at this time.

www.schylling.com

I liked the minifig display cases on the site and the plush minifigs... :sweet:

Ben

*SNIP*

New from Lego

$9.99 for a S3 Racecar Driver (without the helmet) with 5 Plastic Quote Bubbles. No thanks. Now maybe if it had a S1 Minifig like the Brick Calender did, I might consider it.

~LCM

Edited by LegoCityMann

Gosh, there haven't been any posts in this topic for months! I guess it makes sense since the new sets we're currently expecting and discussing are due out in 2012, but it's a really stark contrast from the "story themes" I'm used to like Ninjago and Hero Factory, where there's regularly new content to discuss.

Anyway, my reason for bringing this topic back is mainly to share with people that there's a new mini-movie on the LEGO City website. This one doesn't focus on any particular sub-theme, unlike the Harbor and Space ones released previously, but I figured it's still more 2011 news than 2012.

I love this latest movie because, as usual, imagination and creativity end up saving the day. These are LEGO values that I can truly relate to, and really reminiscent of the way I used to play with my LEGO sets. It wasn't a true LEGO play experience if you weren't building something new on the spot to solve whatever problems the plot threw your way! Hopefully other AFOLs will have a similar sense of nostalgia when watching this video. :classic:

no wonder lego has so many police sets with that amount of criminals. I think lego have justified it to the AFOLS thanks to a mini-movie

Thanks 'Aanchir' for the link to a new movie....goodness I :wub: those movies, now who doesn't want those green chairs or that shower/bathtub eh ? :grin:

Can we guess the next one is them escaping to the forest and meeting a bear ? :laugh:

'

Anyway, my reason for bringing this topic back is mainly to share with people that there's a new mini-movie on the LEGO City website. This one doesn't focus on any particular sub-theme, unlike the Harbor and Space ones released previously, but I figured it's still more 2011 news than 2012.

Love it, the mini movies always make me chuckle. :laugh:

Love it, the mini movies always make me chuckle. :laugh:

:laugh: i do agree with u! LEGO minimovies are simply amazing and funny!!! :D

i hope they will go on making them for the 2012 collection, too!