Sign in to follow this  
Carefree_Dude

MOC: 7898 Cargo Train converted to Power Functions!

traintech1.jpg

100_0634-resized.jpg

I was extremely unhappy with the 7898 Cargo Train Deluxe. I wanted to give RC a chance, only to find that the RC motor couldn't even pull the whole set. I later found out that my motor wheels were part of a bad batch, but that is besides the point.

So, I decided to give power functions a shot. I purchased a rechargable battery pack, an extension cable, a IR sensor, and a power functions motor. I thought the modification would be easy since the train was already an RC train. I was wrong. After a very difficult time trying to make it all fit, and working with a smaller plate, i finally made everything work.

Here are the results of how I made it work.

100_0631-resized.jpg

100_0638-resized.jpg

I wanted to keep it as true as possible to the original train. In the end I had to get rid of the rear driver seat to make room for the IR sensor. The top of it comes out right underneath the black thing. There is plenty of room for the remote to control the train still, and the sensor top is very discrete. The battery box fits right behind the driver. I used a dark bluish gray plate because i already had a 6x28 one available. A black one would have cost me 10 bucks and a week on bricklink. The original was a 6x30. I had to use 1x4 and 1x6 plates in order to extend the length. The roof of the driver, and the roof over the IR sensor both come off; the driver to remove him, and the IR sensor to change the channel. There is a PF extension cable that runs under the battery box and to the lights. All of the extra cable is stored under the IR sensor and in the hollow part of the rear of the engine. You turn the battery box on and off by pressing the little circle plate on the top of the train. I stole this idea from the 2010 cargo train.

100_0632-resized.jpg

This is a small layout I put up on my table. I am happy to learn that with a PF motor, the train engine easily pulls 10+ cars very fast. I haven't made a track big enough to really push the limits. It also moves faster than the new 2010 cargo train.

Here are added images of the modified boxcar. All I really did was toss it on a 6x24 plate and add wedge plates to lock in the pallets. all three pallets fit.

100_0643-resized.jpg

100_0645-resized.jpg

100_0641-resized.jpg

Nice Conversion there.

Say, do you use one or two PF-Motors?

I only used one. Sadly, I had to make it a little off in order for the original wheelsets to work on the new plate. However, I plan on again stealing one of lego's designs and make a "Fake train motor" kind of like what is used on the 2010 cargo train. the fake train motor means the studs on the train wheels wont get in the way and I can make the tank under the train be a full 8 studs instead of seven.

Boxcar images are added to original post.

Edited by Goldenmasamune

Very interesting MOD's to the 2007 cargo train 'Goldenmasamune' - PF croc train is faster than the new one.....very interesting !

Great work and I'm a conformist! 'Goldenmasamune' I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Nice job! I'm also thinking of changing all of my trains to the new 2010 PF 9V motors.

Why did you change the black bricks to grey? The orginal set has black bricks.... Just wondering...

Thanks for your reply!

Wow that could be very useful, especially if you have one of the new PF trains! :classic:

I wish I could get hold of this train carriages... Can't find them anywhere... :sad:

I wish I could get hold of this train carriages... Can't find them anywhere... :sad:

You mean these?

Could you please post more and / or higher resolution images of the locomotive mod? I am looking into upgrading the 7898 locomotive to Powered Up, as there would be no need for a dedicated receiver. However, I need to figure out which parts exactly to order. Also, I am curious how you build the tank below the train plate. Can you maybe post an image of it in a disassembled state? Thank you!

Wow, I posted this almost a decade ago. This train has been boxed away for years. I probably can't provide more pictures, but I can tell you that I used some good ole fashion snot techniques for the tank below the train plate. The design is similar to under the maersk train 

Very nice mod.  Kind of a shame that it's boxed away and not running on your track.  Although that is the fate of mine trains too due to lake of space at the moment. 

To bad it isn't as easy to upgrade some of the other older engines like 4512 and 4564 even with the new Powered Up.

Edited by CSW652

Next mod will be to convert it to PUP. @CSW652, common problem, an other German LEGO fan created train towers to be able to show lots of trains, his first attempt fell over (destroying some parts). That is the advantage of smaller scale model railroads, then you can easily put them in some fiddle yard or something, when most of us would build a fiddle yard at home we would need to enlarge the attick/house or buy a new one I guess :)