Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

What would make a great Adventurer sub-theme?

I was sitting here pondering over what would make a good Adventurers sub-theme for 2006 or 2007. Here's a few of my thoughts based Adventure movies released in the past few years:

- Hidalgo with Arabic desert buildings, treacherous villains, and horses - an Arabic Desert theme.

- Sahara with more modern boats, planes, and lots of palm trees - kind of a Dino Attack Theme but more desert vehicles and no dinos.

- Flight of the Phoenix. Again, desert based, with a few sets including the large Phoenix cargo plane, a small desert airport/base, oil rig, and a fig set with desert nomads - similar to the Outback theme.

- King Kong (here's a great license that Lego could have jumped on). Complete with a large adventure boat two to three times larger than that in River Expedition. Island sets could include a native fortress (like the Viking Fortress) but much taller, a few native statues, ruins, and jaged skull rocks/statues, island natives (like those in the Enchanted Island set), Kong, dinos, and killer insects. This would have definately been a Jungle theme. Lego missed the boat on this one.

It's time for Lego to re-visit the Adventurers theme. Share your thoughts about future Adventure sets.

I think King Kong would have made a good licence, except that its too late. The movie has come and gone! If LEGO wants to get in on the licencing, they have to be quick!

As for a 2006/2007 Adventures line; I don't think it will happen. As a sub-theme, Adventures simply isn't that popular. It seems that the Orient Expedition line didn't do that well, so I suspect that this is the last we'll be seeing of good ol' Johnny Thunder. For LEGO to continue with these sorts of themes, its almost necessary for them to acquire a solid licence that will entice kids. They missed the boat (pun intended) with the Pirates of the Caribbean (which would have been a great substitute for Pirates), but there are still potential licences to be had. Perhaps, if Lucas and Speilberg ever get around to it, LEGO could option the rights for Indiana Jones 4. If not, I don't see another Adventures-style line for the near future.

Later.

This idea made me think a KING KONG Lego Theme would be INCREDIBLY cool - think about it, we would have dinosaurs, 1930's vehicles, perhaps the bi-planes and if lego found a way to pull it off - an Empire State Building to minifig scale (lol, impossible, but even if they did just the top portion of it - now that would be cool!).

How about some credit! I said the above quote in the "Best Adventurers Boat" Thread, so I hope you had this idea Brickster, BEFORE that or I will be angered my idea was not given proper credit!!! X-D

King Kong would be amazing. We will base this on the 2005 movie, as Lego would love to jump on that franchise. As pointed out, there could be a Large Cargo Ship/Expedition Crew (The 2nd largest set) with a King Kong to restrain...

An Empire State Building w/ Fighter Plane and King Kong (This would be the biggest set and would probably only be able to have the TIP of the Empire State building). There could be a King Kong vs. T-Rex Set, with a few of the explorer onlookers... and then there would be the small Native Village with a place for the sacrifice, and than a smaller set or two... it wouldn't include too many vehicles unless they wanted alot of the focus in New York (1930s style buildings would be incredible), or if they gave us a neat jeep with the Large Cargo Ship.

Unfortunately, your other 3 ideas are all too similar to the Egyptian Theme. I know we could see the difference, but many kids would not. They would just see more desert sets. For some kids, this is still very cool, but for others, it would just look too similar to the Egyptian Desert. Here are my ideas... with pros and cons.

1. Johnny Thunder and the Adventurers in the ANTARCTIC!

Glaciers, snow fields and the secrets of a long lost civilization.

PROS: Adventurers snowsuits/torsos, Bombadeers, Arctic Ship, Cool ideas for a lost civilization in the snow. Plus, The Antarctic was truely one of the last places explored extensively.

CONS: Could be considered too similar to the Orient Expedition Himilayan Mountain theme. Although that was more snow and mountains, and this will be more ice and glaciers. It still could be too close.

2. Johnny Thunder and the Adventurers in the LOST CITY OF ATLANTIS

The secret passage has been discovered! The Adventurers are going to learn, but there are always profits to be made. Watch out for the Baron! Atlantic could either be based on older legends or newer ideas like the Disney Atlantis movie. It could either be totally under water, or preferably in a large cave/airpocket that Atlantis lies in, so most of the action could take place without huge 30's style scuba suits.

PROS: Cool 1930's submarines. (One of the larger sets could be a huge submarine), Roman/Greek Architecture for the City of Atlantis (The largest set which would include some smaller buildings and a larger temple and many Atlantians), other smaller sets.

CONS: I can't think of many. May stretch the idea of Adventurers into pure fantasy. Little room for airplanes or ground vehicles - although submarines and Atlantian Vehicles (if there were some) would easily make up for it. Maybe be considered too similar to the Aquazone theme.

3. Johnny Thunder and the Adventurers in the JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH

Caves, mines, and excavators. It may be underground ruins or a strange world like in the book with a lost civilization.

PROS: Adventurers digging gear, cool 1930's style digging machines, mine shafts. Possible cool "lost civilization" or "lost world"

CONS: May Stretch theme into too much fantasy. May be considered too similar to the Rockraiders.

4. Johnny Thunder and the Adventurers in OLDE EUROPE

Johnny Thunder and the Adventurers head to Europe to look through mysterious castles and towers and find important artifacts.

PROS: Castles! Suits of Armor! Dragons... all sorts of European legends and myths and places could be explored. Plus this is on land so some cool vehicles could be added.

CONS: I do not know enough about European myths, but it may be too similar to Castle and may have alot of the exact same things as the last ADventurers sets. A large Castle(Every theme has a large temple of some sort, minus Dino Island)

5. Johnny Thunder and the Adventurers in the JOURNEY THROUGH TIME

The world is changing drastically and only the ADventurers figure out why before its too late - Sam Sinister(i hope thats his name...) has gone back in time to alter things so he will be Ruler of the World. The ADventurers must go back in time to make everything normal again so the future will not change.

PROS : discussed in another thread, but their would be Caveman, Roman, Castle, Pirate, Wildwest and contemporary (the time Machine!) sets! And what happens if they go too far in time - what if Sam Sinister has went into the far future to steal powerful weapons and the ADventurers stop him - they may have to bring weapons back to the future... creating some new cool space/ high tech adventurers.

CONS: May be hard for Lego to make pieces in all of these themes. May seem a little unfocussed. And a little(a lot) unrealstic.

6. Johnny Thunder and the Adventurers in SPACE

Johnny Thunder and his team have been asked by NASA (or made up Space Program) to be the astronauts in one of the first missions to the Moon/Mars/Madeupplanet. They will have to go there and get some artifacts/rock samples.

PROS: Retrostyle Rocketships, Spacesuits, Launch Pad. Would allow for some cool lunar vehicles. We could meet an Alien race, or just interesting remains from lost civilizations.

CONS: The Adventurers takes places in the 30s and has used real life locations, meaning that stretching history by 20 years (in the case of space travel), 30 (in the case of the moon), and going on 80 (for Mars) is a little ridiculous. It could work if its a secret mission or if it is clear the Adventurers are not 100% based on History.

Those are just my ideas... I thought there was a website that was dedicated to the Adventurers where I got some of the ideas from... but I am not sure.

As for a 2006/2007 Adventures line; I don't think it will happen. As a sub-theme, Adventures simply isn't that popular. It seems that the Orient Expedition line didn't do that well, so I suspect that this is the last we'll be seeing of good ol' Johnny Thunder. For LEGO to continue with these sorts of themes, its almost necessary for them to acquire a solid licence that will entice kids. They missed the boat (pun intended) with the Pirates of the Caribbean (which would have been a great substitute for Pirates), but there are still potential licences to be had. Perhaps, if Lucas and Speilberg ever get around to it, LEGO could option the rights for Indiana Jones 4. If not, I don't see another Adventures-style line for the near future.

Later.

I unfortunately agree with this entire statement. I jsut dont think it will come back and we are VERY lucky to have it is aslong as we did. One day maybe some legends will be released, or when lego pulls their heads out of their jun1orized legoblocks... but for now we will have to wait and WRITE RIDICULOUS LONG POSTS ABOUT OUR OWN IDEAS!!!

How about some credit! I said the above quote in the "Best Adventurers Boat" Thread, so I hope you had this idea Brickster, BEFORE that or I will be angered my idea was not given proper credit!!! X-D

I was thinking about building a boat similar to that of River Expedition (but much larger) back when the movie first came out. After buying the movie and watching it though, I really wanted to do a project like this, I just don't have the pieces. King Kong is one of those "no-brainers" though. It was the last Adventure BlockBuster and I would think that many of the Lego Adventure fans would want to make some MOCs based on it (like your idea). King Kong was actually my 1st inspiration behind making the adventure car (MOC) that I posted a few weeks ago.

I've always been a fan of the River Boat since I first saw the movie African Queen, then later movies like Anaconda made me enjoy the River Expedition boat even more.

Also, I'm a big fan of old Adventure movies like the Land that Time Forgot and sequel the People that Time Forgot -great movies if you've never seen them, but hard to obtain, esp the 1st. I love Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's lost world concepts that have been around a long time. I've always wanted to make a large ship with a place to attach a bi-plane (from these movies). In any case, I've been inspired by these adventure movies since the 70s as a kid which all took place in the 20s, 30s, and 40s.

PS. I like all your theme ideas Sting, with the exception of outer-space. I'm picturing a Flash Gordon style theme. I esp. like the thought of a Journey to Atlantis theme though. I would love to see an Adventure-sub (perhaps even a Nautilus). I tried building one several years ago for a Johny Thunder Lego contest (using classic space pieces). Could not find a pic, but I'll post when I'm able to find it. It wasn't that good.

I mean TLC could alway recreate a new JT adventurer with fewer locations but more sets on them !!

First "Item" in the city of Chicago during the prohibition era !! Great Gangster feel !!

Then, "Item" to be retrieved in Cambodia - Temple of ThaPrhom (look beginning of the movie Tomb Raider)

Finnally a ruin Asian Temple + new boat !!

Then a new desert location for the last "item" to be found. A kind of revival of the Outback team but based in the 30's !!

New plane, new car, bedouins camp, dromedaries caravan ...

I think this is a nice combination of city, rain forest, desert !!

*yoda*

I was thinking about building a boat similar to that of River Expedition (but much larger) back when the movie first came out. After buying the movie and watching it though, I really wanted to do a project like this, I just don't have the pieces. King Kong is one of those "no-brainers" though. It was the last Adventure BlockBuster and I would think that many of the Lego Adventure fans would want to make some MOCs based on it (like your idea). King Kong was actually my 1st inspiration behind making the adventure car (MOC) that I posted a few weeks ago.

I've always been a fan of the River Boat since I first saw the movie African Queen, then later movies like Anaconda made me enjoy the River Expedition boat even more.

Also, I'm a big fan of old Adventure movies like the Land that Time Forgot and sequel the People that Time Forgot -great movies if you've never seen them, but hard to obtain, esp the 1st. I love Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's lost world concepts that have been around a long time. I've always wanted to make a large ship with a place to attach a bi-plane (from these movies). In any case, I've been inspired by these adventure movies since the 70s as a kid which all took place in the 20s, 30s, and 40s.

PS. I like all your theme ideas Sting, with the exception of outer-space. I'm picturing a Flash Gordon style theme. I esp. like the thought of a Journey to Atlantis theme though. I would love to see an Adventure-sub (perhaps even a Nautilus). I tried building one several years ago for a Johny Thunder Lego contest (using classic space pieces). Could not find a pic, but I'll post when I'm able to find it. It wasn't that good.

Alright cool, cool. No worries. Lego should have definately done the King Kong Theme... kids freekin' love that movie (my little brother and my girlfriends little brother are obsessed with it). The sets if done properly would sell like crazy, be promoted by the movie, and give us lots of great sets/pieces. At the time the movie was released the Orient Expedition sets were dying out, which means there wasn't a conflicting theme.

And yes, Space is a little ridiculous, that is why it was my last idea. I was just throwin it out there. I think the next stop for Adventurers should be Atlantis... it would be unique (it would boats/subs for the most part) and some cool ideas for Atlantians.

Unfortunately, being born in 1987, I haven't seen much of the Adventure movies you speak of.

Johnny Thunder and his team have been asked by NASA (or made up Space Program) to be the astronauts in one of the first missions to the Moon/Mars/Madeupplanet. They will have to go there and get some artifacts/rock samples.

PROS: Retrostyle Rocketships, Spacesuits, Launch Pad. Would allow for some cool lunar vehicles. We could meet an Alien race, or just interesting remains from lost civilizations.

CONS: The Adventurers takes places in the 30s and has used real life locations, meaning that stretching history by 20 years (in the case of space travel), 30 (in the case of the moon), and going on 80 (for Mars) is a little ridiculous. It could work if its a secret mission or if it is clear the Adventurers are not 100% based on History.

Sounds like retro visit to Flash Gordon/Buck rogers B&W cinema shorts of many moons ago to me.

OK, I'm not that old, but I do vaguely remember them being repeated on TV on sat mornings in school holidays

Jof

Sounds like retro visit to Flash Gordon/Buck rogers B&W cinema shorts of many moons ago to me.

OK, I'm not that old, but I do vaguely remember them being repeated on TV on sat mornings in school holidays

Jof

Yes. I do remember Flash Gordon being on TV... unfortunately(or fortunately LOL) it was the 1996 Cartoon TV series where Flash Gordon and Dale Arden were TEENS!

The space idea would probably be a little ridiculous... and alot of the spacesuits and rockets would be KIND of like the Scubasuits if Lego did the ATLANTIS idea... and if I could choose I think Atlantis would be cooler.

I really like your 'Olde Europe' idea, Sting. It could probably become a great way to get more castle pieces and accesories.

The Artic one might also be nice, but since there already was an artic theme, a Alpha team ice theme, and a few of the orient sets were set in the mountins, I'm not sure how well they'd do.

I really like your 'Olde Europe' idea, Sting. It could probably become a great way to get more castle pieces and accesories.

The Artic one might also be nice, but since there already was an artic theme, a Alpha team ice theme, and a few of the orient sets were set in the mountins, I'm not sure how well they'd do.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those two themes... yes, than an Antarctic Theme is probably definately out of the question... there is also ICE PLANET which is an ice themed set... but than again, who knows. I would be happy with any return of the Adventurers!

Atalntis is definately the perfect candidate. here are some reasons why

1.never been done before

2.weve had futuristic subs (aquazone) and contempory subs (Divers) but we havnt had old skool subs. We could even get cool old skool diving helmets like the sponge divers in tarpon springs.

3. the bigest set could be a massive atlantean temple with lots of translucent blue and green. I means Loads of trans blue and green.

4. The return of the aquazone energy crystals. Sam sinister could be their to steal their crystals.

5. Lost of harpoon guns

Definitively, Atlantis, but if it is designed such as the set # 4762 Rescue from Merpeople...in which aspect? The archs and columns from light green to dark green passing by light and dark blues and with some Aquanauts features.....of course the Johny Thunder's Submarine or something like that.

And for Historic lines, Lego should be working on the Romans, as long as Playmobil has make a real impressive improvement this year with their line....hoping to see Romans or Mithologic Greece in Lego like the Vikings!!! There should be no problem as long as there are lego pieces with the shape of columns from the Latin and Greece styles (look at the 1998's Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins Columns!!).

Seeing that the next year, I could rest a little bit... :'-)

From a pragmatic point of view (meaning, something that is likely to sell better to non-AFOLs) I think there should be an "Old West" adventurers.

The main reason why this would be doable, is because basically it would be recycling parts and prints from the Legoredo era. These are very popular on eBay, and cowboy and especially indian figs and sets are among the highest prices sellers of the older sets.

No new molds would be needed. Just some creativity in the set design. A fun plot line seems simple to generate, and it would sell well in the North American market. Of course a train would be included, and this would give them a chance to sell some of the new trains.

Also, think about this. So far they have done:

Egypt: Africa

Amazon: South America

Orient: Asia

Dino: Africa/jungle.

They have not yet done a North American adventure, and the single most universal adventure type theme that people the world over identify with North America is Indians vs cowboys/cavalry. Europe eats this stuff up (eg. Karl May), and I bet it does well in Asia too.

So to me, it's a no brainer. IF there is going to be another Adventurers theme, it will be North America and Indians etc. No license, ready market, no new molds = no brainer.

From a pragmatic point of view (meaning, something that is likely to sell better to non-AFOLs) I think there should be an "Old West" adventurers.

They have not yet done a North American adventure, and the single most universal adventure type theme that people the world over identify with North America is Indians vs cowboys/cavalry. Europe eats this stuff up (eg. Karl May), and I bet it does well in Asia too.

So to me, it's a no brainer. IF there is going to be another Adventurers theme, it will be North America and Indians etc. No license, ready market, no new molds = no brainer.

Glyman, please let me offer you a rank in the Wild West cavalry. This would be a most excellent idea!

From a pragmatic point of view (meaning, something that is likely to sell better to non-AFOLs) I think there should be an "Old West" adventurers. [...]

Isn't the Adventurer theme set circa the 1920s-1930s? If so, wouldn't the North American West be a bit dated at that point? The cliche of the Wild West ends at the turn of the century, some 30 years before Johnny Thunder and co. hit the scene. If LEGO were to bring back the Western themed minifigs, I'm not sure how well it would fit in with the Adventurer line (of course, its probably even less likely that LEGO would consider bringing back the Western line).

Later.

Atlantis would be a great way to rejuvenate the theme. I'm sure, if TLC wanted to, it could whip up some fantastic ruins and a complementary submarine. As it stands, my favorite sets are from the first two waves. The theme took a turn for the worst with the dino fiasco and never fully recovered, even after the orient expedition. The first two waves are timeless because they involved dead civilizations. The second two, not so much, because they're more about the characters than what they should be, the sets. That's my theory, anyhow. Juniorization certainly didn't help, however.

And for Historic lines, Lego should be working on the Romans, as long as Playmobil has make a real impressive improvement this year with their line....hoping to see Romans or Mithologic Greece in Lego like the Vikings!!! There should be no problem as long as there are lego pieces with the shape of columns from the Latin and Greece styles (look at the 1998's Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins Columns!!).

Seeing that the next year, I could rest a little bit... :'-)

I heartily concur with you! But, a Roman or Greek expedition would be awesome. A huge assortment of new parts, and hopefully, accurate depictions of the ruins. I wouldn't be too concerned with what they picked, because practically anything designed by the ancient Romans or Greeks is beautiful. Ole Jonboy might even discover a particular relation to a deceased emperor...

Isn't the Adventurer theme set circa the 1920s-1930s? If so, wouldn't the North American West be a bit dated at that point? The cliche of the Wild West ends at the turn of the century, some 30 years before Johnny Thunder and co. hit the scene. If LEGO were to bring back the Western themed minifigs, I'm not sure how well it would fit in with the Adventurer line (of course, its probably even less likely that LEGO would consider bringing back the Western line).

exactly... how i would love the wild west theme to be expanded on, but not in the realm of adventures...

also, there is a reason why north american and europe were not explored in the adventures theme. the adventures (johnny and his crew) are presumably modled after the professor(north american, europe academia ) and adventurer indiana jones. a caucasian male anthropologiests who goes and discovers ancient cultures and treasures in lands far abroad. presuambly in cultures much unlike his own. for him to go discover treasues and jewels in his back yard from his own culture (and land) just isn't the theme.

i think atlantis is the winner here !!!

- brickminer

Johnny Thunder should really go exploring the Caribbean for hidden pirate treasures and fabulous archealogical sites. Maybe he could even find Eldorado... Brickster, does that suggestion annoy you? :-D

The Atlantis idea reminds me of the computer game "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis", which was based on a movie that was never made - and that was because Harrison Ford didn't want to play in it, AFAIK.

Mr Dreamweb you're mistaken as Fate of Atlantis was not based on a screenplay. The original game was to be based on a rejected screenplay by Christoper Columbus which was set in Africa. But the cheif game developers, Hal Barwood and Noah Falstein also rejected the idea and later stumbled across a diagram of Atlantis which gave them the idea for Fate of Atlantis...

Go here to read an intereview with Hal Barwood.

Johnny Thunder should really go exploring the Caribbean for hidden pirate treasures and fabulous archealogical sites. Maybe he could even find Eldorado... Brickster, does that suggestion annoy you? :-D

Actually, the thought of a Treasure Hunter theme sounds pretty neat. Johnny Thunder could go to many different places in search of historic artifacts, and the theme could be history-based (all over the world, each set a different place).

But in regard to a North American Adventure theme, I would rather just see a new Wild West theme rather than any correlation between Johnny Thunder and Adventurers. I agree with BlueAndWhite on this topic. The Old West occured in the 1800s, a little before the 1920's - 40's. But I would love to see the theme returned as Brick Miner mentioned.

I really like the Atlantis theme idea just for an Adventure Sub.

Actually, the thought of a Treasure Hunter theme sounds pretty neat. Johnny Thunder could go to many different places in search of historic artifacts, and the theme could be history-based (all over the world, each set a different place).

That was what I suggested in my previous post ;-) .

I don't know why I'm saying that because no one cared to read it or mention it at that time.

I agree that Adventurer theme needs to stick to 1920's/1940's !! Thats why I hope it won't venture inty Wild West, Pirates, Romans or what have you !!

I also think that it needs to stick to some historical truth, therefore that would eliminate Atlantis...

*yoda*

exactly... how i would love the wild west theme to be expanded on, but not in the realm of adventures...

also, there is a reason why north american and europe were not explored in the adventures theme. the adventures (johnny and his crew) are presumably modled after the professor(north american, europe academia ) and adventurer indiana jones. a caucasian male anthropologiests who goes and discovers ancient cultures and treasures in lands far abroad. presuambly in cultures much unlike his own. for him to go discover treasues and jewels in his back yard from his own culture (and land) just isn't the theme.

i think atlantis is the winner here !!!

- brickminer

Assuming that Lego would stick slavishly to the timeline of the adventurers, the Old West is out.

Assuming that TLC is willing to "bend" time in order to give the Adventurers one last try at success in a financially less risky manner than truly creating a new line from scratch, new molds, etc etc.... the outcome may be different.

Again, they are not selling this to you guys. They are selling it to the average 6-10 year old, who when faced with the legends of lost atlantis will likely say.... "wha???"

I agree that Adventurer theme needs to stick to 1920's/1940's !! Thats why I hope it won't venture inty Wild West, Pirates, Romans or what have you !!

I also think that it needs to stick to some historical truth, therefore that would eliminate Atlantis...

*yoda*

Well, I guess that leaves.... well... uhhh...... hmmmmm.... urgghhh..... Oh yea! the Great Depression. There's a great theme for ya!

Gyl, an Atlantis theme per se would/could (if done properly) be fantastic but it would need to have a Jules Verne's feel to it. The problem with JT and his 20's/30's era is that its way too modern (at least half a century) for that Jules Vernes feel. Unless of course the heros are JT's ancestors ;-)

And Gyl, it leaves place for loads of destinations and places to investigate (Inca's pyramid & Temple, Cambodian Temple, Desert Bedoiun settlement, Sunken Galleon...)

Therefore, on your previous post (which is totally unfair to me I must say), I think its your imagination that suffers from "Great Depression" :-P

*yoda*

The original game was to be based on a rejected screenplay by Christoper Columbus which was set in Africa. But the cheif game developers, Hal Barwood and Noah Falstein also rejected the idea and later stumbled across a diagram of Atlantis which gave them the idea for Fate of Atlantis...

So my information was incorrect, thanks for claryfying.

Johnny Thunder should really go exploring the Caribbean for hidden pirate treasures and fabulous archealogical sites

This reminds me of the comic book by Athos:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=103976