Sign in to follow this  
WhiteFang

Minifigs Packet in "Build a Minifig" section

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you guys have seen this before? I saw this picture in this Brickshelf account, stating that it was bought in a LEGO-store Oberhausen. If this discussion has been raised in other topics before, please let me know. This is the first time, I had actually seen something like this and it does not appear to be a magnet packaging.

gallery_2351_21_13543.jpg

Thanks.

WhiteFang

Edited by WhiteFang
Updated the topic title for better clarity

That looks like the packaging for the "Build a Minifig" section at the LEGO stores. I am not sure of the cost but sometimes you can find some AWESOME parts for figs in the various bins. I plan on trying it next time I am at my local LEGO store.

I believe you get to make three minifigs for a set price. Each fig can contain:

1 Headgear

1 Head

1 Torso

1 Set of legs

1 Accessory

Edited by meschepers

That looks like the packaging for the "Build a Minifig" section at the LEGO stores. I am not sure of the cost but sometimes you can find some AWESOME parts for figs in the various bins. I plan on trying it next time I am at my local LEGO store.

Yep, this is from the minifig station in LEGO stores. You get 3 figs for $10 USD (steep!)

Opps! I didn't even know of such section being existed in LEGO Brand stores. :blush:

Thanks guys for letting me know.

Also, I believe that the parts there are usually slight mismolds or something that caused the minifig parts to not be fit for the set(s) they were in. I haven't noticed a difference, though, and they do have plenty of rare parts. I now have two dark red female hairpieces with the long ponytail, of which I have not seen in any set.

I haven't seen some of those parts in the Build-A-Fig section, such as the new baseball cap, but then again it's been a few months since I last went, and the parts vary from store to store.

The build a minifigure section is one of the best parts in the store! :tongue:

I actually have one of those packets with the minifigures right next to me on display.

Yes those are commonly found at the LEGO stores where there are the make your own mini-fig section. As mentioned before you get 3 figs for $10.

Also, I believe that the parts there are usually slight mismolds or something that caused the minifig parts to not be fit for the set(s) they were in. I haven't noticed a difference, though, and they do have plenty of rare parts. I now have two dark red female hairpieces with the long ponytail, of which I have not seen in any set.

Where'd you hear / learn about them being mismolds, or otherwise unfit for inclusion in sets? I've been to only the Orlando store, but the minifigure elements at the BAM section there didn't have any such issues that I could see.

I haven't seen some of those parts in the Build-A-Fig section, such as the new baseball cap, but then again it's been a few months since I last went, and the parts vary from store to store.

From my experience the handful of times I've been to the Orlando store, they vary from day to day, too, and even from hour to hour - periodically an employee comes out with some containers of elements to refresh the BAM section, and there seems to be a mix of fairly random elements; from what one of the employees told my girlfriend and me when we were there, they have just "whatever LEGO gives us." The most common things seemed to be certain City elements - cop torsos, torsos in blue overalls, walkie-talkies, firefighter helmets and so on, but on my handful of visits (a couple days in February this year and a couple in May) they've also had lots of Castle knight and troll torsos and legs, plus armor, and a few other things. In February they had Naboo Fighter Pilot torsos (and legs), though no fleshtone heads that I could see, and in May they had a small handful of female pirate torsos, heads and hair (Agent Trace-type hair). The first time I was there, while I was rummaging around in the bins they came and poured out a small container of a bunch of parts into the bins, and it included three green Exo-Force hair (the same one used as a cabbage / lettuce head in Market Street, I believe). On my more recent visit in May my girlfriend (whom I'm proud to say I've made a fan of LEGO City) found a single doctor torso and snagged it before I could; we asked whether there might possibly be any more, and a helpful employee went and dug around in the back to look for one, but it seemed that one was it. I did find a black fedora, however.

From my experience it appeared most of the BAM parts were either stuff they always have lots of in inventory (cop torsos, firefighter helmets, etc.), or excess inventory of parts either recently discontinued or nearing the end of their production runs (black fedoras, troll torsos, female pirate faces and torsos, Naboo fighter pilot torsos, castle knight torsos, etc.). The accessories were mostly mugs, walkie talkies, shovels, knight armor, goblets and binoculars, though there were additional odd things floating around in there. There were also a lot of helmet visors, though few or no helmets to attach them to, oddly enough. Headgear I saw included firefighter helmets, baseball-style caps (the older style, with the completely flat bill), pirate-style rag hats, standard male hair of the style that's been around since the '70s, perhaps a few ponytails, and a small smattering of Agent Trace/female pirate-style hair, green Exo-Force hair, and the solitary black fedora I grabbed.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Actually, the sign at the BAM says that each BAM box must contain 15 elements not 3 complete minifigs. I routinely fill my box with 15 torsos, or a mix of torsos and hats, etc. I have never had an employee say anything.

For example, I've filled it up with a mix of 8 Pirate wench torsos and 7 Dark Red Agent Trace hair, or 15 Pirate Imperial soldier torsos.

Lately I've seen a lot of town torsos but also the Red Ninja torso from the minifig collections, Pirates, Black fedoras, and one day I found a ton of the tan Hoth Rebel hats and two Imperial Officer helmets from the 2010 battlepacks. BAM is a great way to stock up on certain things if you can luck into a good find (and don't waste your times on legs, heads, and accessories if you don't need them!)

I now have two dark red female hairpieces with the long ponytail, of which I have not seen in any set.

That hairpiece is from the Agents set "Robot Attack", but that's the only set it has ever been released in so far.

Actually, the sign at the BAM says that each BAM box must contain 15 elements not 3 complete minifigs. I routinely fill my box with 15 torsos, or a mix of torsos and hats, etc. I have never had an employee say anything.

For example, I've filled it up with a mix of 8 Pirate wench torsos and 7 Dark Red Agent Trace hair, or 15 Pirate Imperial soldier torsos.

Wow, that is really useful and interesting information; thanks for the tip! I wonder whether this is just something employees at individual stores might allow, or something one can officially do at any one of them. Which store(s) are you doing this at, if I may ask? The only one I've been able to visit so far is the Orlando one, though I'm hopeful I'll visit a couple others in the not-too-distant future, and I'd like to do this if the management permits it...

Lately I've seen a lot of town torsos but also the Red Ninja torso from the minifig collections, Pirates, Black fedoras, and one day I found a ton of the tan Hoth Rebel hats and two Imperial Officer helmets from the 2010 battlepacks. BAM is a great way to stock up on certain things if you can luck into a good find (and don't waste your times on legs, heads, and accessories if you don't need them!)

Yow, I am so envious of you - you've managed to snag some of the very items I've been hoping to see in BAM, though I haven't so far, and I unfortunately don't get many opportunities to go (I don't live close to a LEGO Store, and only get to visit one when taking a trip, so I can go to one on a single weekend every few months at most).

I peek in every once in a while, but I've never seen any Castle themed parts... no swords, helmets, and so I've even looked for more esoteric stuff, like the woman in the first picture that looks like she's from MMV, and I've not seen that stuff.