How do you rate this set?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale from 1 to 5

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding
  2. 2. Which Spaceship do you like better?

• Alien Space Ship
    • Buzz Mini Ship

It was a normal day at Star Command headquarters when suddenly the doorbell rang. Space Ranger Oky Wan Kenobi went to open the door. Who could it be?

p1070926_small.jpg

It was Dunjohn, the delivery-bot. "Delivery for Mr. Kenobi" he said, and pulled in a large hover crate.

p1070928_small.jpg

Oky thanked him and Dunjohn left. Oky wondered what could be inside and opened it up...

p1070931_small.jpg

It was a new shipment of Space Ranger Mini Ships! Excited to assemble them, Oky started opening the first package...

30073-1.jpg

Set Number: 30073

Name: Buzz's Mini Ship

Theme: Toy Story

Year of Release: 2010

Pieces: 20

Minifigs: 1

Price: FREE with Daily Mirror

Brickset BrickLink Brickshelf

The Bag

The front of the bag is very similar to that of the Alien Spaceship promo, except the background image isn't quite as cropped. Again, it has the Toy Story 3 logo despite not being based on anything from that movie, but unlike on the alien promo, the picture with Woody & Buzz fits nicely since Buzz is the minifig included in the set.

p1070877_small.jpg

The back has the usual warnings and what-not. But unlike the alien promo, it has no ratchet Lego Club ad. Yay! Perhaps it's because it's a UK exclusive promo?

p1070880_small.jpg

What's interesting is that this bag is a little wider than that of the alien promo.

p1070886_small.jpg

Contents

Inside the bag we find the parts, an instructions sheet, and the usual separately bagged head and jetpack of Buzz. The most notable piece here is the printed slope with the "Space Ranger" logo on it which otherwise only appears in Build-a-Buzz.

p1070897_small.jpg

The instructions are as simple as those of any promo set and are comprised of 8 steps. At the bottom of the second page, there are ads for three other Toy Story sets from different price ranges. Again, no annoying Lego Club ad!

p1070901_small.jpgp1070902_small.jpg

The Minifig

With this promo, you obviously get Buzz Lightyear. He is the same as in all the sets, with good quality plastic and font & back printed torso (as seen in my review of 7593), but also with only half closed helmet. If there is another wave of TS sets, I hope they finally fix the helmet issue. Until then, I will keep complaining.

p1070941_small.jpgp1070942_small.jpgp1070943_small.jpg

The "Mini Ship"

After the third step, it looks like a small boat from the City theme. Good job, Buzz, keep building!

p1070898_small.jpg

And done! Looks pretty good, especially with that logo on the front.

p1070905_small.jpg

It looks good from the back too, even though it would have been better if there would have been a flame piece or trans-orange cone on the thruster. This ship must be very high-tech since it only takes a steering wheel to fly it. :tongue:

p1070906_small.jpg

Looking at it straight on, it looks much more three dimensional than the alien's ship while still looking very aerodynamic.

p1070909_small.jpg

p1070908_small.jpg

p1070910_small.jpg

While the top is very colorful, the bottom is very grayscale.

p1070913_small.jpg

p1070918_small.jpg

Here it is with the fig. Thanks to his bendable legs, Buzz can seat confortably inside the craft.

p1070922_small.jpg

p1070924_small.jpg

Buzz and the LGM having a little race. Buzz's ship is about two studs longer, but it has the same wingspan. However, it does not have any weapons.

p1070933_small.jpg

The only spare parts are a lime and a purple cheese slope. Yummy!

p1070925_small.jpg

Ratings

Design: 4/5 - I like it better than the alien spaceship. It has a better shape and the logo at the front really adds to the look of it.

Build: 1/5 - Very quick and simple with no surprises, even more so than the alien spaceship due to the lack of tiny tiles.

Minifigs: 4/5 - Who can deny the awesomeness of Buzz Lightyear? :grin: Sure, he is not a very reusable fig, but still good to have.

Playability: 1/5 - Just like the alien's ship, it's very swooshable, but that's it. The lack of any weapons doesn't help.

Parts: 3/5 - The printed space ranger slope along with the lime and purple cheese are pretty neat, and the other stuff is useful too, but not too exciting.

Price: 5/5 - Despite its larger bag, the piece count of this set is a bit underwhelming compared to the alien promo, but considering you get a main character and that this is a rare set that you could get for free with a newspaper, it's really not bad, especially since many non-licensed impulse sets usually have less parts than this these days!

Overall: 4/5 - It's a very nice little promo, especially for being a freebie. It's a good way of getting a Buzz fig, be it for adding him to your collection or recreating my sigfig. It's not really a good army builder unless you are planning to create an army of space rangers (like me), but it wasn't intended as one anyway. If you can get it at a good price, and if you don't have a Buzz Lightyear yet, you should definitely go for it.

Hi-res versions of all the pics can be found in this brickshelf folder.

That's it for this review. I hope you enjoyed it. Watch out for my third promo review which I will post soon too! OkyWanKenobiNormal1.png

Special thanks go to Dunjohn who was so kind to send these to me for free!

Parting shot: Space Skiing - the latest trend in space sports!

p1070938_small.jpg

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Hmm, so that's what the little runt's been up to while I've been working. Space deliveries? He's probably making five times what I do, too...

Nice review and presentation to thanks Dunjohn for his incredible support to the EB members. :grin:

Oky, is this review supposed to be part of the Reviewers Academy grading process or something out of it? I need to clarify this. Thanks. :classic:

Thanks for the review 'Oky Wan' - this one is only better because of Buzz in it !

Though I prefer the shape of this one to the little green aliens ship, but Buzz is unprotected he would have to use his wrist laser to fend off evil Zurg ! :wink:

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Hmm, so that's what the little runt's been up to while I've been working. Space deliveries? He's probably making five times what I do, too...

:laugh:

Oky, is this review supposed to be part of the Reviewers Academy grading process or something out of it? I need to clarify this. Thanks. :classic:

Well, Clone O'Patra said I should do a bigger set for my next academy review, so I posted this outside of the academy.

Though I prefer the shape of this one to the little green aliens ship, but Buzz is unprotected he would have to use his wrist laser to fend off evil Zurg ! :wink:

Yeah, I forgot to mention the lack of weapons on this thing. I don't think it's meant for combat, more as some kind of travel vehicle or escape pod. But yeah, if he gets ambushed by zurg in this thing, he's screwed. :tongue:

Well, Clone O'Patra said I should do a bigger set for my next academy review, so I posted this outside of the academy.

Thanks Oky for letting me know. I am looking forward to more of your reviews in the academy.