On a scale of 1 to 5  

119 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Train-tacular!

I have to say I agree, it would be great to have additional wagons for Emerald Night and this, especially as the official description from LEGO re 7938 says "this can handle 8 cars at a time" - what a bizarre thing to say when it comes with (just) three sections?!

I can't get pinioncorp's coach to price on LDD as it says some parts are not available (I'm in the UK) so have created my own as below, LDD price is £48.40 for this one currently:

Very nice review, helped sell me on the set.

Just got done with this set. Overall I thought it was pretty nice. Still can't get used to the snap down roofs, as opposed to the hinged ones of days gone by (both here and in City sets like the Airports/airplanes). In fact, I 9V'd my Public Transport Tram, and in a 90' turn the roof piece of the middle car comes off if it's above half speed.

The biggest gripe I have about the design is the gap created at the hinge of the windshield. Don't know if there is a block connection that could work better, just a minor irritant.

Bigger issue, as has been mentioned is the lack of straight track in bulk, and additional passenger cars. Saw on Ebay this week, the passenger car alone went for over $60 US, thats nearly half of the cost of the whole set in $US. Seems a bit crazy to me.

Edited by drevim

You can build almost 2 passenger cars from a set. The only thing you need is two trans-black panels 1 × 4 × 3. Leaves you with some spare parts, and the power functions parts to go into your MOCs.

As for building off pick a brick / LDD, there are a few parts that are not available. The whole set only retails for £100 (didn't put GBP in the review, sorry!), so paying £50 for the one carriage is ludicrous. You'd get two from the set (almost) anyway plus a whole heap of extra stuff.

I used the wrong windows, you can buy the correct ones but you'll have to change them from the ones I've used, along with the couplers. The black arches, the sloped vents, the blueish grey undercarriage slopes and the roof will need to be aquired from bricklink, none of which should be too expensive.

I do wish there was some straight track in this set. Jeez TLG, if you have to, make a new mould. I just have far, far too much curved track. And the flexi track is just bad.

Are you saying that TLG should make more, expensive, big pieces? I think this a thing of real beauty. Especially with the brick-built front. I will defiantly be getting this and a whole load of track! :cry_happy:

P.S Jamzee, look on bricklink, they have them for about 20 pounds. :wink:

Edited by Lego Man Can

First of all- excellent review! I really had to pass on this though. I just don't like the "new" style passenger trains. Thanks to your review I know I'm not missing out on something that I could use (that's a good thing). I also agree with others on the fact that no straight pieces are included, kind of lame. Thanks again and outstanding job for a first time review!!

Those red ladders are there to stop the window from going to far down. If you get what i mean default_laugh_new.gif

No, the window actually rests on the two black double cheeses on the front. I think the ladders are just .. ladders for the engineer to use. Weird indeed

For those who want extra 7938 cars... this set is in the Netherlands available for only 75 euro's (Intertoys)....you can easily build 2 cars of the bricks in this set, and sell the PF-stuff... with that money you can order 2 transparant windows at Pick a Brick and some other parts and there you have 2 extra cars for only 35 or 40 euros !!!!

It is só easy to do!!!

Greetz, LegoSjaak

Built this set tonight and enjoy it immensely. Glad I bought it over one of the current cargo train sets. Love the brick-built front and the colours.

In the Uk this set appears to be the cheapest starter and no bad for what you get. I picked up a comment on the Flexi track. Being very new to the forum and completely new to Lego trains, Apologies if I have not have posted this in the right section, as it appears that the set 7894 straight and curved additional track sections has been discontinued what is your experience with this flexi track?

Edited by LegoMavrick