DLuders

Lego Robot Wars -- Have Fun Battling & Smashing

250px-Robot_Wars.jpg One surefire way of getting young people enthused about Lego Technic is to have LEGO ROBOT WARS! The website http://legorobotwars.weebly.com/ tells how to do it. YouTube has many videos of robots battling each other. By using Lego Power Functions elements and just a few bricks, the Battlebots can mimic favorite TV show "Robot Wars" . :tongue: There's even a "How-to" webpage on how to make good Lego Battlebots. :thumbup: Be sure to check out their Links webpage too.

Ochayedonald has developed 5 Series of battlebots*oh2* posted many Lego "Robot Wars" videos on YouTube. They are produced in the spirit of the TV show. Below are typical battle scenes. If you follow

to YouTube, you can see lots of additional Lego Robot Wars videos along the right margin.

Here is the Lego Robot Wars Serios 4 Preview (note the great variety and imagination of the various creations): :laugh:

www.brickshelf.com_gallery_Pneumatic-man_battlebot_1_diesector.jpg_SPLASH.jpg

Want to get started? Here's a "Remote Controlled Battlebot" with step-by-step Building Instructions by Mark Crosbie : http://www.mastincrosbie.com/Marks_LEGO_projects/Remote_Control_battlebot.html . :thumbup: He also provides an LDRAW file.

I enjoyed looking at some of these video´s but at the same time it gives a creepy feeling, seeing Lego-models being beat-up. These people are not afraid of getting their parts damaged.

LEGOMASTERFREAK has developed an entire collection of Lego "Robot Wars"/ Lego Gladiators robots. On MOCpages, he said that they are all "My Lego Battlebots. Only Lego, rubberbands and cord. Everything studless and no modified lego pieces. Watch the

!" The action/carnage starts at the 2:00 (2 minute) point. :tongue: These are large, powerful creations that have lots of torque! :thumbup:

12697833011_DISPLAY.jpg1269692377m_SPLASH.jpg

Way cool! Here in Sweden we had a Robotwars-inspired competition back in 2005, unfortunately no video footage. Scroll down to about 3/5 of this page for some photos: http://lotekbricks.blogspot.com/2005/03/swebrick-vii.html

I don't recall any brick getting broken but a few got markings on them.

We've been talking about trying this event again so this thread comes in handy, thanks!

I used to have little robot competitions with my best lego friend, but I would cringe at the thought of doing it now - I value my Lego a lot more these days :classic: , but that said Lego is surprisingly tough!

Hi!

seams to be a lot more hard to find freaks building quarter human size lego mechs *lol*

But if i make a smaller "killing machine" i would take the hammer design and take some realy heave lead/iron from some lego ship part to smash *lol* :laugh:

whens the next contest? :wink:

That's AWESOME!! But scary at the same time.. The ones made by LEGOMASTERFREAK really have some "destructive" capabilities! I wouldn't want get my legos near that nor build one of those with my legos either! :tongue:But I love the idea!

I would much rather prefer a less destructive approach with more obstacles like the "pits" and that mechanism I saw from the allround car competitions (The ones that when you hit the trailer the driver pops out).

That would be something I would love to participate in!:thumbup: As well as the ACC!!( But as far as I know, it doesn't, unfortunately, exist in the U.S.A... :cry_sad:)

Is anybody on the east coast interested in arranging such a competition?

I used to have little robot competitions with my best lego friend, but I would cringe at the thought of doing it now - I value my Lego a lot more these days :classic: , but that said Lego is surprisingly tough!

Yeah. I completely agree. I probably would have done this years ago, had I had enough parts, but there is no chance I would put one of my Legos against LEGOMASTERFREAKS' creations!

I would much rather prefer a less destructive approach [..]

What would be awesome is if the robots could fight with lasers and radio/infrared waves (radar target acquisition, jamming), where they could be pre-programmed and take turns.. Perhaps compete in teams and earn manual attacks on successful hits, etc., etc. None of this flailing cr4p, lol.

LEGOMASTERFREAK has developed an entire collection of Lego "Robot Wars"/ Lego Gladiators robots. On MOCpages, he said that they are all "My Lego Battlebots. Only Lego, rubberbands and cord. Everything studless and no modified lego pieces.

* snip *

Now thats cool!

Edited by LuxorV

Brilliant, looks like a lot of fun, I wonder how you control a battle where you have 2 robots and a few house robots, assuming you allow 2 channels on IR for each robot one for locomotion and one for weapons, I don’t see any spare for the house robots?

@ Pretzel Robotics: Wow, that 8'x8' arena (shown below) is very spacious for your 6 Lego battlebots!

5185120.jpg3953517.jpg5804726.jpg7410174.jpg4731275.jpg2802373.jpg8906680.jpg

"Lego BattleBot Building Rules and Regulations"

"Here is a simple list of all the rules that all Lego BattleBots I create have to follow and abide by. There aren't too many of them, but these rules will help organize my events and give the viewers a sense of why I did certain things with my robots.

• Robots cannot weigh more than 950 grams.
  • Fights are 3:00 minutes long.
  • Drivers CANNOT interfere with the other robot by changing the channel of their transmitters. Doing so will result in an automatic match loss.
  • Each robot can use 1 Lithium Polymer (LiPo) battery pack and 1 Lego extension cord instead of the standard Lego Power Function battery pack. This results in more destruction and a more exciting battles.
  • Batteries must be protected and cannot be exposed.
  • Batteries cannot exceed 11.1 volts.
  • To prevent destruction of wires attached on Power Functions parts, wires may be taped to the motor, but nothing else.
  • Other than LiPo batteries and tape on wires, non-Lego parts CANNOT be used.
  • A robot cannot be declared immobile until a 10 second countdown is conducted. If the robot cannot show controlled motion after the 10 seconds, the robot is immobile.
  • A robot is immobile if it cannot move in a controlled motion.
  • A robot can only pin another robot for 10 seconds. After 10 seconds, the other robot must be released.
  • If a robot is flipped into a position that prevents it from moving, it is counted out.
  • If 2 robots are stuck together and cannot free themselves, the match will be paused and the robots will be unstuck.
  • If Lego bricks on the arena floor prevent a robot from moving, a 10 second countdown will be conducted. If the robot cannot show controlled motion after the 10 seconds, the robot is immobile.
  • If both robots become immobile at the same time, a judges decision will decide the winner of the match."

Edited by DLuders

This looks really well put together, well done. looking forward to watching the results unfold

Although the idea is cool I don't like destroying things especially LEGO.

Fair point, I wonder how much actually gets broken as a posed to being dismantled by the fight. I bet its rare to actually break the LEGO bricks them selves. scratches and dents are fairly likely I would think.

I see your point but to me even scratching bricks is an unnecessary and destructive way of playing with lego.

Tobias Wälde posted this

of two Battle-Bots in a LEGO Technic RC Battle: frying-pan-smash.gif

Edited by DLuders