Timmay

What PF components to buy?

Hey there,

In the early to mid 90's I collected several of the 9v trains which, unfortunately, don't run too well anymore. Over the years I've forgotten about my trains and focused on my other Lego love, castle. But people seem to be giving power functions some favorable reviews, which has kindled an interest to rebuild these old trains and convert them to PF.

My problem is, I'm not sure what to buy. I thought about buying one of the new trains out there, but can't afford that expense right now (I'm a full time student). So I went to the power functions and train pages of shop.lego.com, and saw a number of things I'm not sure if I really need; multiple motors, multiple remote controls, a train motor which is different than the other motors, etc.

So my question to you experts here: What power functions components do I need for the easiest / cheapest / best setup for converting my old 9v trains to power functions?

Please help guide my renewed interest in Lego train. :classic:

Thanks,

Timmay

The cheapest setup to convert a 9V train to Power Functions would be to get one of these (which will go in place of the 9V motor) and power it with one of these battery boxes (which you will have to mod somewhere inside the train). If you want to spend more money you could get the rechargable battery box so you don't go through double-A batteries (and the box itself is more compact). However, you are going to also have to purchase the AC Adapter to charge it. Just note that having just a battery and motor will mean you have to manually stop the train with your hands to stop the power and the train will take off as soon as you flip the power switch on. If you want to add IR so you can remotely control it (and adjust the speed) you will need an IR Receiver(which again will have to be modded into the train) and a remote to control it. Your choice of remote can be this standard IR remote which makes the train go forward, backward, and allow you to stop it or you can go with the train IR remote which will also give you the ability to control the speed (I would go with this for the extra few bucks over the other one).

Edited by Yoshi648

Excellent. Thank you so much for the response and the help. I really appreciate it.

Tim

Don't forget the 8886 conversion/extension wire otherwise you're dead in the water!

Don't forget the 8886 conversion/extension wire otherwise you're dead in the water!

Thanks. This is the cord that connects the battery to the motor, I assume?

Another option might be Bricklink.

You could purchase this motor

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=x1688a

Then this battery box

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=bb466

Or the previously mentioned rechargeable battery box

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=8878-1

Plus the recharger to recharge it

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=8887-1

And optionally the IR receiver

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=8884-1

and remote

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=8879-1

Depending on your location, you may be able to pick up the parts you need at prices that are cheaper than shop @ home.

The non-rechargeable battery box linked to above is likely to be easier to mod into a train than the regular PF battery box. (and cheaper than the rechargeable battery box) Also, the motor above is aparently a better motor than the other one linked to. (both new train sets include the above linked motor, non-rechargeable battery box, IR receiver and remote)

Thanks. This is the cord that connects the battery to the motor, I assume?

May not be needed if you just use the PF motor + PF battery box (or with PF receiver). PF Motor and PF receiver both have built-in wires.

The conversion wire is useful for mixing PF and 9v components, or extending the built-in wires.

If you are inclined to buy the RC Motor, don't do it. You can attach the PF extension cable to the 9V Motor (or to the light and have lights and traction trough PF) and have a better tractive effort.

If you want to use RC or PF motors, use 2. (Maybe except for Cargo Railway)

If you are inclined to buy the RC Motor, don't do it. You can attach the PF extension cable to the 9V Motor (or to the light and have lights and traction trough PF) and have a better tractive effort.

I think most people are assuming that Timmays 9V motors are worn out, since he says they are not running to well.

There was a good thread on cleaning out old motors recently which Timmay should probably check out.

I think most people are assuming that Timmays 9V motors are worn out, since he says they are not running to well.

There was a good thread on cleaning out old motors recently which Timmay should probably check out.

Yeah, A couple of them seem completely dead and don't do anything when put on the tracks and powered up. The other two, with some gentle nudging and pushing, I can get a little life out of. But even at full power it's jerky, stops a lot, and never gets up to any decent speed. Not like it used to.

I can't complain though. I think I got my first train in '91 or '92. It was either Metroliner or the Load and Haul Railroad; I can't remember which came out first. They're 18 or 19 years old, and have sat untouched for years. I definitely got my use out of them.

I never considered taking them apart to clean them. I'll try and track down that thread. Thanks for letting me know about that! And thanks again to everyone for their input and help.