• Above Average
    • Outstanding

gallery_101_23_281.gif

10175 Imperial AT-ST

10174-1.jpg

Set Name: Imperial AT-ST

Set Number: 10174

Year of release: 2006

Price: £59.99 (Still available on eBay, sometimes for less than the original RRP!)

Parts: 1068

I noticed we don't have a review of this set, so here we go.

1.jpg

The box is really rather nice, with the AT-ST stood on Endor.

3.jpg

Flipping it over, we get another shot of the model, along with a couple of front and side photos with measurements. 42cm tall, 24cm wide, and 30cm long. It's a pretty big set, especially for £60. Inside are two instruction books (rare for a £60 set), and the build is pretty simple. Leg, leg, lower 'body' in the first book, then the head in the second.

16.jpg

This is the head, with the front taken off to show the insides. An elastic band holds together the two side panels, though it's not essential - it just keeps the plates held in a little tighter, making it look better. Now, this is my one complaint with the set. This whole area is pretty fragile. I pulled the set apart in chunks for storage, and, when I got it back out, it took forever to put this all back together. You fix on one side, another falls off. You reach in to rejoin some pieces inside the head, and another panel falls off and I HAVE FURY. It's incredibly frustrating. But, follow the instructions and you should be pretty much fine. It's just trying to rebuild it from chunks that has proven difficult.

18.jpg

That's the construction of the body/lower head, with the turning wheel thing which lets the head move, and some nice detail at the back as well.

8.jpgreal.jpg

Now, the finished set. It's beautiful. Seriously. You know with most sets, you glance at them and that's it? With this set, you look at it and get an inner feeling of 'that's awesome' every time. Perhaps that's just me. But it looks very, very impressive in the plastic. I've compared it to some art of the actual AT-ST, which I expect this model was based off, and it's pretty much spot-on.

9.jpg

The legs look great, though naturally cause a little repetitive build (they're not the exact same, obviously, but they're 'mirror images' of eachother, as you'd expect). They're quite stable, too. A little notch stops the body from swinging down under the legs - it keeps the body at 180°, basically. The set is a little wobbly, but it's not going to fall over or anything.

10.jpg11.jpg

A couple of head closeups. One gun sticks out a lot, but that's accurate to the actual thing, so I can't really complain. The window flaps can also be adjusted to a close position.

12.jpg

The back of the head. It's quite pretty for something that isn't really going to be seen whilst on display. The designers could have easily been quite minimalistic here, but they weren't - I suppose that's what you get from a UCS set.

14.jpg15.jpg

The top of the head, with the hatch open and closed. I hear that this is inscale with many regular Star Wars figures, though I don't own any so I can't say.

17.jpg

Of course, you get the usual UCS info stand. A few flat plates with a sticker on.

So, to conclude.

Build 8/10 - It's fine, but loses a couple of marks for the head which falls apart quite a bit (only if you're meddling - it'll be fine for display or moving from one place to another.). Also, the leg build is inevitably repeated, but that can't be helped.

Functionality 10/10 - It's meant to be displayed, and it looks awesome. The two things work well together.

Design 9/10 - The elastic band in the head is a little odd, but everything else holds up.

Parts 8/10 - It's a lot of grey plates, really. If you're into grey, you'll likely love this, though. Personally, I didn't buy this for parts. But even if you did, it's 1068 of them for £60.

Price 10/10 - It's £60. For 1068 parts. For a set that looks awesome. This is pretty much the biggest bargain OF ALL TIME. Especially considering that there's one going on eBay for £50 right now. The price hasn't flown up over the years like it did with 6210, so you've no excuse not to go and buy this set.

Final Rating: 93%

Not gonna lie - this is perhaps my favourite Lego set EVER. I love the AT-ST design anyway, and this set captures it perfectly, AND looks big and awesome on display. I got it for £40 on a S@H sale, too, so it really was a steal. I can't recommend this set enough. Really, I can't, and it's still available on places online for around the original RRP. Please, go buy it. It's beautiful. Thanks.

- Tilius

Edited by KimT
indexed and poll added

about time we see a review of the UCS AT-AT, nice job!

maybe you can add a poll (I think KIm wil do it if you can't). I love to build this model and it's great for display.

Thanks for the review on this set! I remember seeing this multiple times but never being able to pull the trigger on the buy. I kinda regret it now as this is a good looking display set.

Nice review! Well done mate.

I've been waiting for a review on the 10174 for a long time. I have one MISB in the closet and I'm still in doubt if I should build this unit. This review pushed me more to the 'yes' side :)

Great review. I see this set for really low prices, but I don't have anywhere to put it, and I don't think my parents will let me get this for $60.

Thanks for reviewing this set and further adding to the Review Index. :thumbup:

I've never taken any special liking to this set - it's not all that UCS that I would have liked it to be.

Perhaps I was just disappointed to see a classic Star Wars vehicle so simplified in a UCS version.

Poll added.

A great review for a good UCS set that looks like what it's meant to be - a good old AT-ST !

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Great review. I bought this set a while ago, expecting a reasonable model. Like you I was blown away with just how detailed the final thing is. A set truly deserving the UCS label and one of my most favourite sets.

Great review and it's a wonderfully detailed looking set.

I've recently managed to buy it for a good price, so I'm just waiting on it to arrive and once I've built it I'll give my opinion.

Edited by Adam the Ant

Nice review Tilius. I keep seeing this on eBay and thinking "should I?", after reading this, I think, maybe I should.

I particularly like the passion you show for this set: "It's beautiful. Seriously. You know with most sets, you glance at them and that's it? With this set, you look at it and get an inner feeling of 'that's awesome' every time. Perhaps that's just me. But it looks very, very impressive in the plastic." - It's almost poetic.

At first sight, this model looks great. It is very detailed, etc.

But when you look closer, you can notice that several details are different from the real AT-ST.

Besides, with such a scale, the model should have an interior. To do so, the designers should have find a different way to attach the 2 sides (no rubber I mean).

I also don't like the studless parts we can see here and there. Proportions are also wrong ; the model is too stocky ; the "V" shape of the cabin is too exagerated, etc.

Thanks for reviewing this set and further adding to the Review Index. :thumbup:

I've never taken any special liking to this set - it's not all that UCS that I would have liked it to be.

Perhaps I was just disappointed to see a classic Star Wars vehicle so simplified in a UCS version.

Sadface. Obviously, I disagree. The new JSF is my definition of over-simplification, this AT-ST is perhaps as complex as it could be. Looks really great in person, IMO. Just out of interest, what sort of changes would you have like to this set?

Nice review Tilius. I keep seeing this on eBay and thinking "should I?", after reading this, I think, maybe I should.

I particularly like the passion you show for this set: "It's beautiful. Seriously. You know with most sets, you glance at them and that's it? With this set, you look at it and get an inner feeling of 'that's awesome' every time. Perhaps that's just me. But it looks very, very impressive in the plastic." - It's almost poetic.

Haha, thanks, glad you enjoyed it. I'd definitely pick it up while you still can. :)

At first sight, this model looks great. It is very detailed, etc.

But when you look closer, you can notice that several details are different from the real AT-ST.

Besides, with such a scale, the model should have an interior. To do so, the designers should have find a different way to attach the 2 sides (no rubber I mean).

I also don't like the studless parts we can see here and there. Proportions are also wrong ; the model is too stocky ; the "V" shape of the cabin is too exagerated, etc.

I'd agree with your points about inaccuracies, actually, but they don't bother me too much. Personally, I almost prefer this AT-ST look to the others, and loads of pictures I see of AT-STs all look slightly different. The one in the comparison picture is different to the one in ROTJ, for example. Also, the model could have had an interior, but then what's the need? It can't really be seen unless the head is dismantled, and, when on display, you don't really want a dismantled head, lol. Plus, an interior would probably mean a part increase, and also a price increase, which would make this less of a bargain. As with the UCS MF, the interior is all build, to keep the outer appearence together and to look accurate - so an AT-ST interior could harm the outer appearance/stability, even if they found a new way of constructing it. And UCS sets are all about the outer appearance, for display and to look impressive, so an interior isn't something I'd be too bothered by. I'd have liked a better way of connecting the panels together, though.

But I'm obviously biased because I love this vehicle and I love this set representation. :)

- Tilius

Edited by -Tilius-

Great review Tilius, thanks for sharing this with us. I've never appreciated this set until I saw the details in your review. Based on the reference pic, it really resembles the real thing, though it would been a whole lot better if it was smoother with less studs on the body plates. And the rubber band in the interior --> default_sick.gif

Sadface. Obviously, I disagree. The new JSF is my definition of over-simplification, this AT-ST is perhaps as complex as it could be. Looks really great in person, IMO. Just out of interest, what sort of changes would you have like to this set?

Dunno :blush:

Perhaps I would just have preferred more greeble like on the sides of the ISD or the Y-Wing.

They could have covered the entire thing in tiles...

Anything to give it that "extra" that makes it rock for real.

Thanx Tilius for this nice review! It's funny, my AT-ST MOC fell apart the other day beacause the elastic band inside the head broke. It was another review of this specific set that brought me to the idea of using it. I was really struggling with making an accurate 'head' for the AT-ST, the eleastic band was a real eye opener for me. Clever use IMO.

Thanx again

DR

Dunno :blush:

Perhaps I would just have preferred more greeble like on the sides of the ISD or the Y-Wing.

They could have covered the entire thing in tiles...

Anything to give it that "extra" that makes it rock for real.

Hm, I actually prefer the stud-y look - it makes it more Lego-y, and flat tiles would have given it another layer so could've messed up the head shape. All a matter of taste I suppose.

- Tilius

Thanks for the review :classic:

This set looks great, Unfortunately I never picked it up when it was out.

Thanks again for the excellent review!

I have the older, smaller one that came out around 2000 or so with the brown pieces.

I must say this one is much nicer looking with being all one color and with more detail!

Mm, it's too bad the pics are gone from this review....

I've had a copy of this set since picking one up on clearance roughly eight years ago (!!!), but as I have a huge backlog of sets still sealed in their packages awaiting assembly, I didn't get around to it until just a few days ago. Having finally built it, I love it! I do have to admit to some minor disappointment that the legs aren't really as posable as I'd hoped, as well as there not being a detailed interior despite the large hatch opening, but in the end it doesn't matter for this display piece. It's still an excellent model, and one I'm glad to have been able to get. If I'd realized this was the only review for it here and that the pics are now gone, I might have documented the build for a new review, but oh well.

I'm now mulling over whether to apply the display plaque sticker - on the one hand, it's a STAMP, and one that goes across 12 pieces, but on the other, those parts are just ordinary 1x8 black tiles, which aren't exactly difficult to come by, and not something I really need to hoard or anything. Decisions, decisions...

Anyway, at the end of the build I found myself with spares of not only the usual suspects (1x1 round plates, etc.), but also two 1x2 plates with click hinge fingers - that is, this part - in Medium Stone (medium bley). I went back through the instructions to see if I'd missed anything, but it seems not; the parts inventory shows there should be 12 of them, and I went through all the steps again and found where they went, and verified that I'd included them when building, and it really did turn out that mine came with 14 of them, two extra. According to Peeron, the set does in fact normally include two extra, though it also says there are 13 of them rather than 12 or 14. Huh. Odd...

Edited by Blondie-Wan