DLuders

Oldie but Goodie - Animatronic Dinosaur Set 8485

Before Lego MINDSTORMS and Power Functions, there was the Lego Technic Control Center II. Set 8485 (released in 1995) had an ANIMATRONIC DINOSAUR as one of its alternate builds. Consisting of 1,093 pieces and costing US$219 at the time, the dinosaur's movements could be programmed. Toyshansolo/ Brucewaynelego posted the video below to display its capabilities. It has Technic Flex Cables in its neck. One can hear the dino producing a roar!

Did anybody have this set (or still has it)? If so, could you provide some additional insight into the Control Center II's functions (which seemed quite advanced for the Year 1995)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AytevjfrgkM

Blakbird's detailed review of the 8485 Technic Control Center II set: http://www.ericalbrecht.com/technic/8485.html . 8485-2revolve.gif

8485-1.1123711750.jpg1a1_8485_b.jpg

Wow, I didn't know this Dino was so good!

I mean, I am amazed at this smooth organic moves.

Did anybody have this set (or still has it)? If so, could you provide some additional insight into the Control Center II's functions (which seemed quite advanced for the Year 1995)?

This T-Rex is one of the most unique Technic models TLG has released, and is arguably the only model that really took advantage of the capabilities of the flex system. Blakbird has written an extensive overview of the set here.

The CC2 unit is similar to the original CC from 8094. The programming functions were actually pretty basic, but it works well for manual control. It's also far more useful than the earlier 1990 version in practice since it has an AC power jack. I use it to run a lot of PF models too. It would be good if we get a wall-powered native PF source like this at some point.

Edited by CP5670

I'm quite interested of this set, and noticed that someone is selling used set in Bricklink under 80 euro. Unfortunately it does not include the flex cables, so no chance to build a dino.

However there is few sellers who are selling Flex system elements (5118)set in about 20 euro. My problem is, that I can not find information of what cable length and how many were used in a dino. If I buy one 5118 cable set, is it enough? If I have to buy several cable set, it will quickly increase the cost.

I prefer a helicopter from these two models, so I might buy the set just for that anyway. But it would be nice if there's a possible dino-option too. :)

@ Finntech: You can see the various lengths of Lego Flex Cable needed for Set 8485 from this Bricklink Inventory; you need 1 ea. 9L, 1 ea. 11L, 1 ea. 16L, and 4 ea. 23L Flex Cables. I would buy the incomplete set, then purchase the missing parts separately. :classic:

I just confirmed (via the individual JPG images on Brickfactory.info ) that the Dinosaur alternate needs all of the seven Flex Cables listed above; see Building Instructions Pages 109 (1 ea.), 110 (2 ea.), 115 (1 ea.), 118 (1 ea.), and 119 (2 ea. Flex Cables).

137.jpg139.jpg

Edited by DLuders

I've seen that before, but never thought much of it, but seeing the video makes me want one, its such a smooth system.

@ Finntech: You can see the various lengths of Lego Flex Cable needed for Set 8485 from this Bricklink Inventory; you need 1 ea. 9L, 1 ea. 11L, 1 ea. 16L, and 4 ea. 23L Flex Cables. I would buy the incomplete set, then purchase the missing parts separately. :classic:

Thanks Dluders! That's what I'm probably going to do. All complete sets are way more expensive than this incomplete one.

I've seen that before, but never thought much of it, but seeing the video makes me want one, its such a smooth system.

I own the older 8094, but 8485 seems to be better in many ways. More pieces (546 vs 1079), and 9V converter for using it without batteries (unusual in lego products!). I'm surprised that there's only two reviews in the Brickset from the 8485, while the older 8094 seemed to be more common and popular. It might be due that it was much(?) cheaper in it's days than 8485.

Edited by Finntech

Does anyone know if the legs were flexible too? I know that the set is not designed to move the legs, but it would be an interesting MOC of the set/another design

D'oh! I was watching its head/neck and tail so much I didn't notice the knees bending haha I like it even more now!

I bought it, now I need to find those seven cables what Dluders mentioned, thanks for the help. I'm going to build a heli first anyway and displaying it for a while, so I would have some time to hunt the right cables.

Can not wait to get this beaty at home. :) I'm waiting also 8448 and 8157, they are on they way... And I just recieved 8421. Damn Bricklink, it is too easy to waste your money! :laugh:

1. I got this set back to March 2010 NIB for almost $300.00 and built the Dinosaur only

2. The eyes are so realistic that look very mean

3. The set did not come with a "Sound" brick so the sound from the video was not original

4. I got a sound brick (Part #55206c02) from the set 4958 (Rel. 2007 Monster Dino)

5. I installed it on the body up-down motion so when the head downward the dinosaur roaring

6. I read every page of Blakbird Web site more than 10 times now and spent a lot of money based on his recommendation but no regrets

I've always really liked this set, and it's one that I wish I had purchased long ago. I'd buy it just for all the flex system parts.

If only LEGO would re-introduce the flex system...

That is very kool, although I think the two men on the roof are about to have a free flying lesson

now this is what i'm talking about! both the theme and the functionality are a complete departure from 1h20xx's forthcoming obligatory suv's/backhoe's/forklift's etc, which have bored me beyond tears for too long now. let's get the designer back on the payroll.

KEvron

After finding this topic while looking for something else, (9395 Review, Found a link to Technicbricks and will read it after this, The model itself looks good but i'm not sure if I should spend €50,- on it.)

I thought 'why not take a look at the second hand prices in my country' only to be surprised by the fact there's about 5 for sale, All seem to be complete with box and the most surprising thing was the asking prices on all of them: €100,- (Without shipping costs, But that's only about 7/10 euro.)

Highest bid I saw on one of them was 80,-, And one of the sellers has 2 other sets he's offering for €100,- each: 8479 (Don't have that yet, And really want to add it to my collection.) And 8868 (Already have two of them.)

He doesn't look like a fraud based on his other offers. (Some loose Lego Harry Potter stuff and a computer desk.)

So I was wondering why these sets are offered for so little?

Even other offers on the 8868 are below or around the €100,- mark and I believe they where allot more expensive about a year ago? (€150,- or more.)

Financial crisis striking the second hand Lego market?

I'm in the process of ordering all the new Technic and Creator stuff that's just been released, And I've just ordered the VW Bus (10220) and Jedi Star Fighter UCS (10215)

But I might think about spending some of my savings on a few of the older Technic sets that I haven't got in my collection yet now that they appear to be so cheap.

To get back on topic, I've always liked to look at this set.

And it might even be fun to play with it, But Unfortunately I don't see any value in adding it to my collection. (Maybe if I can get a good deal on it + Some other sets that I want.)

I didnt even know that this set existed. It looks really really good. If it cost that much back then I can only imagine the price that it will be at now.

I've never seen that model but I remember the control system from old leaflets, animatronics was all the rage back in those days and looks more realistic than most cgi.