KimT

LEGO Star Wars 2011 Pictures & Rumors

There might be another reason minifigs are included, the UCS becomes a family build....parents /grandparents building the model with the kids....naturally kids love the minifigs don't they, my 11 year old son does and so does his friends. In any case, your point 'Aeroeza' is noted and respected.

Now hopefully thats done and dusted. :classic:

A certain person in this thread needs to calm down

Some people take stuff way to seriously - buying sets because of the way Lego classified them? Us adults buy sets we like the look of - I quite like the Executor, if it's got an interior (which it doesn't) then so much the better

There might be another reason minifigs are included, the UCS becomes a family build....parents /grandparents building the model with the kids....naturally kids love the minifigs don't they, my 11 year old son does and so does his friends.

In any case, your point 'Aeroeza' is noted and respected.

Now hopefully thats done and dusted. :classic:

With an electro-static Lego cleaning duster! :thumbup:

I think my earlier post answers your question about why some AFOL have concerns about the minifigs. I hope a re-read makes it clearer. Naturally kids do love the mini figs which suggests 10221 as a UCS may not be aimed at the old AFOL target market. As for the 'label' concerns, well that one could only really be one for the UCS collector to be surprised by! But its real and out there.

A certain person in this thread needs to calm down

Some people take stuff way to seriously - buying sets because of the way Lego classified them? Us adults buy sets we like the look of - I quite like the Executor, if it's got an interior (which it doesn't) then so much the better

Assuming you're referring to the ubiquitous UCS collector currently online then I'm afraid I couldn't agree with all your generalizations- apart from adults liking to buy sets which appeal to them. I purchase a UCS for a whole bunch of specific reasons which have already been explained. I too quite like the Executor on what little visual information we have. I hope if it has an interior then this does not detract from the enjoyment I ordinarily have when constructing a model like this. After all there are lots and lots and lots of system sets out there....

What a bunch of sad-sacks, so what of a UCS comes with minifigs, you put the figures to one side and display your set as simply a UCS. But something also comes to mind, Lego was once aim at children wasn't it ? :laugh:

I wonder what the play feature is with Vader's ship ? :wink:

But see, the point of a UCS set is accuracy. (although a certain member can tell you the inaccuracies of every model with reference pictures of studio models) The play features of a UCS set shouldn't force it to compromise on accuracy. If this set is in fact a playset, the bottom is going to be pretty ugly, and probably bulging slightly in the wrong places.

With an electro-static Lego cleaning duster! :thumbup:

:sweet:

Maybe the other UCS set this year will be better :wink:

but back to the SSD, all i was told is that it is the bridge scene, it has less parts than the falcon but more than the Imperial Shuttle.

Maybe the other UCS set this year will be better :wink:

but back to the SSD, all i was told is that it is the bridge scene, it has less parts than the falcon but more than the Imperial Shuttle.

I wait anxiously for photos of its underside then. Already the profile looks too high but then it is 120 centimeters long and needs to be stable. I guess if I can't get my UCS fix this year then I'll need to jump on a plane and check out your display in Bradford or Leicester! :thumbup:

Looks like the SSD is official.....

Star Wars Poster

Holy crap! Now we officially know what a UCS is! Took'em long enough! Engage egg on face mode. :sick:

Edited by Aeroeza

Star Wars Poster

Wow, thanks for the link. I wonder when the release date is? It couldnt be may 3th and 4th, could it?

Wow, thanks for the link. I wonder when the release date is? It couldnt be may 3th and 4th, could it?

That would be cool(maybe pre-order at least)!!! I can't zoom in enough to make out any dates.

That would be cool(maybe pre-order at least)!!! I can't zoom in enough to make out any dates.

Yeah! the poster gives the impression it will be revealed tomorrow!! :look:

it's not ready for release yet still in production.

Holy crap! Now we officially know what a UCS is! Took'em long enough! Engage egg on face mode.

No no no. Nowhere does it say that the sets pictured there are called UCS sets, it merely says Ultimate LEGO Star Wars sets. That is not the same thing as Ultimate Collector Series LEGO Star Wars sets. I say this because I do not want the "What is UCS?" discussion to continue here, but I do not believe that LEGO is even saying that the sets pictured are all UCS sets.

All of the sets pictures are sets that fall out of the normal lines; either they are UCS sets, or they have a 10xxx number for whatever reason.

it's not ready for release yet still in production.

Bloody tease! :sing:

No no no. Nowhere does it say that the sets pictured there are called UCS sets, it merely says Ultimate LEGO Star Wars sets. That is not the same thing as Ultimate Collector Series LEGO Star Wars sets. I say this because I do not want the "What is UCS?" discussion to continue here, but I do not believe that LEGO is even saying that the sets pictured are all UCS sets.

All of the sets pictures are sets that fall out of the normal lines; either they are UCS sets, or they have a 10xxx number for whatever reason.

Sorry Anio you're right. I shouldn't roll over and play dead so easily (I just woke up after all). These are 'Ultimate Star Wars Sets' which include UCS sets among them.

TLC my head hurts. :wacko: Time for breakfast...

Edited by Aeroeza

Bloody tease! :sing:

LOL

6 have been seen together though!

Ah, so this is the May the 4th poster. 10188 front and center? I hope this foreshadows a sale on that set. (though that's a discussion for another topic) EDIT: Nevermind, checked the other topic.

What's this about six SSDs together?

Edited by Brickdoctor

If the poster has a shadowed Executor saying you can find it on Lego.com, that would be EXTREMELY LAME and ruin the poster entirely.

Also, I can't believe they left the X-Wing out. Put ALL the UCS sets on there and only then include others to fill space.

Also, I can't believe they left the X-Wing out. Put ALL the UCS sets on there and only then include others to fill space.

Yeah, Cloud City has no place there. Don't see the Interceptor or Yoda statue either.

Yeah, Cloud City has no place there. Don't see the Interceptor or Yoda statue either.

Yep. They should remove Cloud City, the 4-pack of TIE's, and one of the Tantive IV's...preferably the new one but I can understand if they use the poster to promote the one still on shelves. Replace with X-Wing, Interceptor, and Yoda.

Yep. They should remove Cloud City, the 4-pack of TIE's, and one of the Tantive IV's...preferably the new one but I can understand if they use the poster to promote the one still on shelves. Replace with X-Wing, Interceptor, and Yoda.

I'd get rid of the motorized AT-AT before one of the Tantives. It doesn't look that good, and it's not like the concept is new. (wasn't there also a red walking quadruped dinosaur set before that, too?)

How can they leave out Yoda, the X-wing and Vader's tie fighter for goodness sake.....ah, wait they wrote the names on little pieces of paper and drew them from a hat ! :laugh:

What they should have done was shown the UCS and then the super-sized playsets....which also they forgot Battle Of Endor ! :tongue:

May the 4th be with you ! :grin:

:laugh: I guess I shouldn't have become a passionate collector in the first place then! Could someone please direct me to the 'not so passionate AFOL forum'? :wink:

I know, right?

In my opinion, the UCS label defines nothing about a set and never really had the pretense to do so.

While you’re certainly entitled to your own opinion, I think that what sets UCS and UCS-esque sets apart from System and other non-UCS sets, other than the label, is the noticeably higher quality of the design. Perhaps this is what Aeroeza may have meant in referring to the “prestige of the label”. As an example, take one of the very first UCS sets, 7191 X-wing, and compare it to the current rendition, 6212.

The wing-opening mechanism on the former is more complex than what you would expect in your average brickbuilt LEGO set; what’s more, the set is designed such that the entire Technic mess is concealed within a clean white hull with some nice greebling to top it off. There was obviously a little extra work put into making the set functional as well as aesthetically pleasing.

On the contrary, the same feature on the latter could have been far better. The design is generally simpler and not as well thought-out, consisting of a rotating T-shaped strut that simply pushes the wings into position rather than having them open of their own accord, and as System sets usually include Technic more for functionality than for aesthetics, there is little attempt to cover up the exposed Technic, and the end result is what I can only describe as (to quote FBTB’s dWhisper) “a representation of what it would be if our LEGO bins could vomit”. Of course, the gaps and holes don’t matter as much in a System set because the target audience wouldn’t care. However, as an AFOL who would like an LEGO X-wing that looks good, I feel that 6212 is of a lower quality in this respect than 7191 (regardless of whether or not I am part of the intended market).

What a bunch of sad-sacks, so what of a UCS comes with minifigs, you put the figures to one side and display your set as simply a UCS. But something also comes to mind, Lego was once aim at children wasn't it ? :laugh:

I don’t feel there’s anything wrong with Aeroeza being passionate about this issue, so long as he remembers to respect others’ opinions (and he does). And Ouija boards are also marketed to children, are they not? :laugh:

But see, the point of a UCS set is accuracy. (although a certain member can tell you the inaccuracies of every model with reference pictures of studio models) The play features of a UCS set shouldn't force it to compromise on accuracy. If this set is in fact a playset, the bottom is going to be pretty ugly, and probably bulging slightly in the wrong places.

That I can. :laugh: And because I can, I can say that while accuracy doesn’t seem to be the point of a UCS set, The LEGO Group certainly does make a considerable effort toward having it be one of the selling points. Again, this relates back to the “prestige of the label”. Brickdoctor brings up a good point here; if either aesthetic appeal or “accuracy” in a UCS set are compromised for the sake of including a play feature, that juniorizes the set, making it less aesthetically pleasing and thus less distinct from a child-oriented set, which in turn may be less appealing to a UCS fan used to the slightly higher caliber that these sets typically offer (as Aeroeza appears to be).

Star Wars Poster

What? They left out the original 1:28 UCS sets!

The poster was only supposed to be UCS sets from the last 10 years, but it says "Over ten years of Ultimate Lego Star Wars Sets", so wouldn't that imply that all 11 years of UCS sets would be shown? I'm not sure of Lego's reasoning on this...

Still, it's a decent poster/freebie, but the minifigs poster from a couple years back was much cooler...

I must say, I'm very glad the minifigure book will include Han Solo with the medal. As long as we've got Luke with the medal already, we ought to have Han with one for those of us who want to recreate the (finish of the) ceremony. Mind you, it'd be cooler if neither was printed with the medal, and instead there were a medal accessory (or we could just imagine it there), but as long as the Luke minifigure has the printed medal, I'm really glad we're getting a printed medal Han.

Now if only the next book to include a minifigure will give us award ceremony Leia (or another super-shiny Threepio)...

I'm new to Lego and even newer to Lego SW so forgive me if this is commonly known...Are the dates listed on the OP of this thread normally accurate, or is it like with action figures (if it says June they really mean 3rd, possibly 4th quarter)?

I'm really looking forward to the new Falcon and I want to make sure I can buy as soon as I see it, which means I can't buy all the other sets I want, LOL!