KimT

LEGO Star Wars 2011 Pictures & Rumors

Hmm, was the JSF there? I know Mace was, but I don't remember if his fighter came along.

As far as I can remember, Mace's JSF didn't appear in the Ryloth Trilogy (it was Anakin's and Ahsoka's that appeared as part of the air-strike force. Mace's JSF debuted in Season 2 in the episode R2 Come Home). I don't think the combination of elements in 7868 is not based on any particular episode in the CW series. They just randomly mixed-up the JSF, STAP, tactical droid, etc. (as always) :grin:

Edited by KielDaMan

As far as I can remember, Mace's JSF didn't appear in the Ryloth Trilogy (it was Anakin's and Ahsoka's that appeared as part of the air-strike force. Mace's JSF debuted in Season 2 in the episode R2 Come Home). I don't think the combination of elements in 7868 is not based on any particular episode in the CW series. They just randomly mixed-up the JSF, STAP, tactical droid, etc. (as always) :grin:

Yep it's pretty much Seasons 1 and 2 thrown into that set with the Starfighter and R8-B7 Being season two and the rest season one :classic:

Actually, it's this one:

Link

How? In the out of box image the Droid is more of a blueish Colour (Like The Christophis or Malastare one) when in the In Box image it looks Orange which is the Naboo Tactical Droid.

None of them Look like TX-20 :sceptic:

How? In the out of box image the Droid is more of a blueish Colour (Like The Christophis or Malastare one) when in the In Box image it looks Orange which is the Naboo Tactical Droid.

None of them Look like TX-20 :sceptic:

It should be that one, I mean theres that cannon thing behind it...

Oh, okay. Wasn't Season 3 supposed to return to Ryloth? Maybe the set is based on that.

Oh, okay. Wasn't Season 3 supposed to return to Ryloth? Maybe the set is based on that.

Yeah, there was an episode in Season 3 which was a prequel to the Ryloth Trilogy, but Mace's JSF was still not spotted there. I still believe the combination of vehicles/minifigs/elements in 7868 (and for most SW sets) has no basis. (Cad Bane/Aayla w/ CTT, ARF/Bomb Squad in Clone BP, Saesee/Shaak in the T-6, Aurra in the Halo are just some of the most recent examples). That also goes for the tactical droid, I would assume it will just be named a generic tactical droid and will not be based on any particular CW episode.

Edited by KielDaMan

Expanded Universe lit is and always has been part of the official canon. It's a lot more than "what if". That would be the Star Wars Infinities comic book seires, which truly are "what if" scenarios and not considered canon. Why does no one acknowledge this?

I suppose if you consider the portion of the Expanded Universe that the Prequels contradicted to be apocryphal, your argument would be correct. But the Expanded Universe came before the Prequels. Even the first film could be considered to contain retcons if you're basing the argument off of the original novelization.

If you want to get technical, it actually falls slightly before official "G-canon". Most people consider the stories to be canon, but are liable to be overwritten by higher sources.. Such as the movies or TCW. My problem with the EU comes from the quality of it though, most of it is dire and usually doesn't even remain consistent within itself. How can you bash TCW for not remaining consistent with something that wildly varies depending on the writer? The movies didn't really retcon anything, so much as change from peoples expected vision of SW. Again, I have no problem with people expressing opinions one or the other, it just seems like every other post in these threads is some kind of snide anti-Clone Wars comment and it's getting very tiring to read them all the time.

Back on the topic of the JSF's.. Another thing I didn't like about the EU was the tendency to colour code things like this. Aayla Secura has a blue starfighter, Kit Fisto's is green, Mace's is purple and so forth. It's a little silly, although in this case, it definitely would have made for a better set if Mace did have a purple one. It's odd that they picked such a bland colour scheme, since people often say these new vehicles are only introduced to sell toys.

If you want to get technical, it actually falls slightly before official "G-canon". Most people consider the stories to be canon, but are liable to be overwritten by higher sources.. Such as the movies or TCW. My problem with the EU comes from the quality of it though, most of it is dire and usually doesn't even remain consistent within itself. How can you bash TCW for not remaining consistent with something that wildly varies depending on the writer? The movies didn't really retcon anything, so much as change from peoples expected vision of SW. Again, I have no problem with people expressing opinions one or the other, it just seems like every other post in these threads is some kind of snide anti-Clone Wars comment and it's getting very tiring to read them all the time.

I'm sorry for continuing this, but I must say I agree. At least in Canon, most EU stuff (C-Canon) is able to be overwritten by the G-Canon movies or T-Canon TCW. Somehow I feel the negative sentiment towards TCW is not based on true canonicity, but rather a preference for certain "canons" over the other. People have of course, grown attached to the Clone Wars Multimedia project launched about 7 years ago, and certainly many would feel disdain over a new series that retcons most of what we've grown attached to (I know what it's like considering I followed the older cartoon series as well as the Republic comic books and a few novels). However, the older established continuity isn't without hiccups of it's own, for example the problem with reconciling Labyrinth of Evil with the Clone Wars cartoon. So, it really isn't fair to continue being so snide towards TCW simply due to canonicity and not really due to its actual quality. Even with valid arguments about quality, like Penitent Tangent said, the comments do get tiring, especially to TCW fans like me.

On-topic, Mace's Jedi Starfighter is a bit bland, but I still like it. I haven't been able to pick up any Jedi Starfighters in the past, so I might just grab this simply because it is Mace. More importantly, those STAPs and Tactical droid are much needed components of my droid army.

Edited by TFGuy89

Canon as I believe it is:

-The 6 Films,

-The TV series (Droids, Ewoks, CW, The CW, and the upcoming Live Action show),

-The official games (TFUI and TFUII),

-And the novels and scripts.

All other material is not canon and should be ignored. Sure there is inconsistencies in different parts of the canon, but that's because they where made in different times if they where all made now then they would be no inconsistencies. Other shows have inconsistencies in their canon but people don't go on like it as much as SW fans do (Doctor Who , and Star Trek spring to mind).

I'll keep my opinions of the clone wars series before me, safe to say I enjoyed the episodes but I much more of an EU fan which is all I say about this to not further de-rail this topic.

Anyways, Still in love with that Battle of/for Geonosis set, actually like all of it, the minifigs and the models, though the Barc isn't to spectacular but in my opinion it carries the general shape and detail of the original thus it's sufficient, I'm not collecting SW lego because I want exactly detailed models anyways. The proton cannon is very well made and looks rather sleek on top, which is a definite plus. Very curious for some detailed shots of the cannon, so far must be my favorite model of 2011.

Mace's JSF is as noted a bit dull, but I think Lego's model is decently styled after the source material and is accurate enough. The (few) details look nice on it and hope they are not huge stickers. The Speeder in the set looks like an improvement on the 2002 Dooku's speeders model, wonder how the STAP's look with a droid, because I think the partly photoshopped stand somewhat deformed the overall size and detail of the thing. Finally it's quite obvious mini-figures are going to be the seller of this set, a spiffy new r2-unit, a cheap mace(for those that didn't get the RAS, like me) and the nice tactical droid.

Sorry if this has been asked, answered, or obvious, but what's "SE" on the Battle of Geonosis and Mace Windu's Starfighter? Is it Second Edition, or Special Edition? I must say, they're both nice sets. The two STAPs in MW's JS are nice, and the cannon is great in the Battle for Geonosis. However, I don't like that we always get rocket arm SBDs, and another Capt. Rex. He's a great character, but one of him is quite enough.

-Santhor

Edited by Santhor

Sorry if this has been asked, answered, or obvious, but what's "SE" on the Battle of Geonosis and Mace Windu's Starfighter? Is it Second Edition, or Special Edition? I must say, they're both nice sets. The two STAPs in MW's JS are nice, and the cannon is great in the Battle for Geonosis. However, I don't like that we always get rocket arm SBDs, and another Capt. Rex. He's a great character, but one of him is quite enough.

-Santhor

SE means Special Edition, which means they will be exclusive to a certain retailer.

Canon as I believe it is:

-The 6 Films,

-The TV series (Droids, Ewoks, CW, The CW, and the upcoming Live Action show),

-The official games (TFUI and TFUII),

-And the novels and scripts.

All other material is not canon and should be ignored. Sure there is inconsistencies in different parts of the canon, but that's because they where made in different times if they where all made now then they would be no inconsistencies. Other shows have inconsistencies in their canon but people don't go on like it as much as SW fans do (Doctor Who , and Star Trek spring to mind).

"The Holocron is divided into 5 levels (in order of precedence): G-canon, T-canon, C-canon, S-canon, and N-canon.

G-canon is absolute canon; the movies (their most recent release), the scripts, the novelizations of the movies, the radio plays, and any statements by George Lucas himself. G-canon overrides the lower levels of canon when there is a contradiction. Within G-canon, many fans follow an unofficial progression of canonicity where the movies are the highest canon, followed by the scripts, the novelizations, and then the radio plays.

T-canon[1] refers to the canon level comprising only the two television shows: Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the Star Wars live-action TV series. Its precedence over C-Level canon was confirmed by Chee.[2]

C-canon is primarily composed of elements from the Expanded Universe including books, comics, and games bearing the label of Star Wars. Games and RPG sourcebooks are a special case; the stories and general background information are themselves fully C-canon, but the other elements such as character/item statistics and gameplay are, with few exceptions, N-canon.

S-canon is secondary canon; the story itself is considered non-continuity, but the non-contradicting elements are still a canon part of the Star Wars universe. This includes things like the online roleplaying game Star Wars: Galaxies and certain elements of a few N-canon stories.

N-canon is non-canon. "What-if" stories (such as stories published under the Star Wars: Infinities label), crossover appearances (such as the Star Wars character appearances in Soulcalibur IV), game statistics, and anything else directly contradicted by higher canon ends up here. N-canon is the only level that is not considered official canon by Lucasfilm. A significant amount of material that was previously C-canon was rendered N-canon by the release of Episodes I-III. "

There are many people, including myself, who only acknowledge G-canon. I have made an exception for the game-novel Shadows of the Empire which bridges the gap between Episodes V-VI extremely well. The appearance of the Outrider in Episode IV Special Edition makes me think Lucas is a big fan as well.

The Geonosis set looks Clone Wars based, which I haven't yet followed. Thus the only battle of Geonosis I know of is the opening battle of the Clone Wars in Episode 2. But I have no idea if that was the only time the Clone Wars took place on Geonosis. Having droid factories on that planet, I could see a reason why more battles would be fought there in the coming years. So is this set based on another battle fought on Geonosis? The reason I ask, is that I just happen to think it's a bit of a shame and a missed opportunity for Lego and collectors that the battle droids are tan instead of sand red, and the super battle droids are dark silver instead of blue as per the original Geonosis droids.

EDIT: Just had a quick look on Wookiepedia, and yes there is a second battle for the reasons I imagined. Unfortunately there is no real clue as to the colours of the droids.

Well, I can give a pragmatic reason for the droid colors: neither 145 Sand Blue Metallic nor 153 Sand Red is still on the LEGO color palette. Sand Blue Metallic was discontinued after 2005; 153 Sand Red was last used in 2004. I'm not sure if there's any material flaws keeping LEGO from ever using either of these colors again, but LEGO tries to keep their color palette fairly small and so can't go restoring it to 2004-2005 levels.

As for the "canon-ness" of Expanded Universe material, the way I've always understood it is that Expanded Universe material is more "tentative" than stuff in the actual movies or the Clone Wars TV series. Thus, if George Lucas wanted to make a movie contradicting a previously-released novel or comic book, he could easily declare that work non-canon. But otherwise, the novel or comic book would be as-good-as-canon. I'm not a Star Wars buff, though, so that may be just my ignorance speaking.

Hmm, was the JSF there? I know Mace was, but I don't remember if his fighter came along.

No, but he was never on Geonosis either so Lego maybe merging the two. It makes much more sense on Ryloth anyways because there are also the two STAPs he destroyed in the Ryloth episode too.

Regardless of how awful or how awesome you might think CW to be, you guys had better stop the canon discussion before KimT comes along...

Well, I can give a pragmatic reason for the droid colors: neither 145 Sand Blue Metallic nor 153 Sand Red is still on the LEGO color palette. Sand Blue Metallic was discontinued after 2005; 153 Sand Red was last used in 2004. I'm not sure if there's any material flaws keeping LEGO from ever using either of these colors again, but LEGO tries to keep their color palette fairly small and so can't go restoring it to 2004-2005 levels.

Isn't there still a sand blue shade on the palette?

No, but he was never on Geonosis either so Lego maybe merging the two. It makes much more sense on Ryloth anyways because there are also the two STAPs he destroyed in the Ryloth episode too.

O..kay. :wacko: I really should go catch up on CW episodes.

I don't think that this set is specific to any particular episode. Mace was on Ryloth, but his starfighter didn't appear until Death Trap. Plus, the only time we see a Tactical Droid on that kind of speeder is on Naboo, but in that case the Droid is red/brown not blue.

Tactical_droid_naboo.jpg

So in the end, I don't think this is based on much. Lego just wanted an excuse to stick a Tactical Droid in with Mace's starfighter so this set is technically a mix of Ryloth (Mace & STAPs), Naboo (2 STAPs and Tactical Droid on Speeder), and Vanqor (Mace's Starfighter). All in all a very scattered set, but when has Lego always stuck completely to the story. Just be happy you get Mace in a cheaper set and a Tactical Droid! (Which we knew was coming ever since the preliminary images of the Clone Turbo Tank)

On another note. Does anyone else think we may see Cato Parasititi some time in the future? If you remember, her mask/helmet was on Sugi in the Preliminary Pictures of the Bounty Hunter Gunship.

Does anyone else think we may see Cato Parasititi some time in the future? If you remember, her mask/helmet was on Sugi in the Preliminary Pictures of the Bounty Hunter Gunship.

Only if she returns as a major player in the show.

Edited by Brickdoctor

Going with Brickdoctor's suggestion I'm not going to continue the canon discussion, but I would like to know why The Force Unleashed games are the only "official" games.

I don't think that this set is specific to any particular episode. Mace was on Ryloth, but his starfighter didn't appear until Death Trap. Plus, the only time we see a Tactical Droid on that kind of speeder is on Naboo, but in that case the Droid is red/brown not blue.

Tactical_droid_naboo.jpg

So in the end, I don't think this is based on much. Lego just wanted an excuse to stick a Tactical Droid in with Mace's starfighter so this set is technically a mix of Ryloth (Mace & STAPs), Naboo (2 STAPs and Tactical Droid on Speeder), and Vanqor (Mace's Starfighter). All in all a very scattered set, but when has Lego always stuck completely to the story. Just be happy you get Mace in a cheaper set and a Tactical Droid! (Which we knew was coming ever since the preliminary images of the Clone Turbo Tank)

On another note. Does anyone else think we may see Cato Parasititi some time in the future? If you remember, her mask/helmet was on Sugi in the Preliminary Pictures of the Bounty Hunter Gunship.

So they're making sets based on minifigure demand now? :cry_sad:

Well we know they have a Cato helmet mold, so that may indicate an upcoming episode featuring her... and I suppose another Clawdite minifigure would be nice.

Thanks. It's a shame, as I like the sand colours. They were authentic, or at least gave the models an authentic look. Almost anything that was released using sand colours benefited from their inclusion. The 2002 line up of Star Wars sets being my point of reference. A good Year for Star Wars Lego.

And I was a little saddened to see last years Land Speeder released in Tan. Although it looks nice, it isn't as colour authentic as the model released in 2004. Two steps forward, one step back.

I'm not sure. I've had a quick look through some the recent models and can't see it being used this year, even if it still is on the palette. And last year, the Droid Tri Fighter was release without using the colour, even though the previous model was covered in it.

But saying that, the unreleased 8804-14 Werewolf minifigure seems to have sand blue trousers, but it could also be the lighting making a grey look bluer than usual.

Edited by afosl

Yes, regular sand blue (color 135) is still on the palette. The metallic version, though, is no longer in use, so perhaps LEGO considers the "shiny factor" to be more important to SBDs in general than the color.

Thanks. It's a shame, as I like the sand colours. They were authentic, or at least gave the models an authentic look. Almost anything that was released using sand colours benefited from their inclusion. The 2002 line up of Star Wars sets being my point of reference. A good Year for Star Wars Lego.

And I was a little saddened to see last years Land Speeder released in Tan. Although it looks nice, it isn't as colour authentic as the model released in 2004. Two steps forward, one step back.

There are actually several sand colors still in use: 135 Sand Blue, 151 Sand Green, and 138 Sand Yellow-- better known to AFOLs as Dark Tan. However, other sand colors have been discontinued. Sand Red and Sand Violet were used for a very short time before disappearing from the palette. In metallic colors, 145 Sand Blue Metallic (BL's Metal Blue), 146 Sand Violet Metallic (not listed on BL; perhaps used only for canisters or packaging), and 147 Sand Yellow Metallic (BL's Flat Dark Gold) have all been discontinued.

I'm not an expert on why parts get discontinued, and if LEGO saw a serious need for some of these colors they could probably bring at least a few back. But as I said, LEGO is interested in keeping their palette somewhat small. There were 51 colors listed on the color palette revealed early this year-- since then, two of those colors have been discontinued and replaced (131 Silver and 148 Dark Grey Metallic were replaced with 315 Silver Metallic and 316 Titanium Metallic, respectively). There are a few colors-- for instance, chrome and metallic-lacquered colors-- that did not appear on this palette, but which are also current. Still, that's less than 60 colors overall-- a far cry from the 2003 palette (the one pictured here is from early 2003, and so doesn't even have certain colors that made their debut in the summer)! I'm waiting with bated breath to see what color palette changes might occur in 2011-- as you can probably tell from my member title, I take LEGO colors very, very seriously. :laugh:

I just picked up the Bounty hunter gunship at Toys r Us. I can confirm that the Canadian price is $64.99, not $69.99 :thumbup:

Cool. At least the prices are getting slightly better.

Now the T-6 has to be under $100.

Edited by prateek

Where did you get it.

I wonder if they have it in Vancouver TRUs?

Or anywhere else?

Thanks.

Sorry KimT about the availabilty.

On topic: Do we have pics of the summer 2011 sets yet?

Again, thanks

Cool. At least the prices are getting slightly better.

Now the T-6 has to be under $100.

Should be around 80...

Anyways, has anyone reviewed the clone battlepack?

Where did you get it.

I wonder if they have it in Vancouver TRUs?

Or anywhere else?

Thanks.

Sorry KimT about the availabilty.

On topic: Do we have pics of the summer 2011 sets yet?

Again, thanks

I got the Bounty Hunter gunship at TRU in Downtown Vancouver, but they only have one 1 left, so hurry! They also have them at Toy Jungle in Park Royal Mall, but they cost $85 or $90 there, $20 - $25 off MRSP.

No pics of the summer sets yet, but we should be seeing prelims soon.