KimT

LEGO Star Wars 2011 Pictures & Rumors

I'd say a Venator. And the JSF didn't sell poorly because it was PT, it was because it was badly priced and boring. I'm sure 10 year old clone kiddies would save up their money for a UCS Venator cruiser. I know I would :grin:

10 year olds can't save 400 bucks. They need parents to help, and most parents won't put that much into sets they don't care about. OT sets sell because they not only appeal to older collectors, they appeal to the parents buying sets for their kids.

Yes, the JSF was overpriced but ALL Legos are overpriced these days. Even more important now that large sets be something that both parents and kids would like.

A Venator would be too expensive for the end of the year. People's wallets will already be crying after the SSD's coming. Also, at the moment Europe's financial situation is literally horrible. I don't believe they'll risk selling a product with a high price that will scare away a big percentage of the potential european buyers just because it's too expensive. Maybe they'll even consider that this year has already been covered by the SSD, and people wouldn't be willing to dish out at least 100+ $/€ for another UCS.

Besides, if you want to sell a capital ship to the kiddies, you do it playset style, not UCS.

Besides, if you want to sell a capital ship to the kiddies, you do it playset style, not UCS.

Exactly- and they've done that.

Though frankly I agree, there's very few PT sets that'd work in UCS, and the Venator and Invisible Hand are two of them. Neither of them seem good chocies right now- but maybe in a few years when Ep. 3 is released in 3D.

Maybe they'll even consider that this year has already been covered by the SSD, and people wouldn't be willing to dish out at least 100+ $/€ for another UCS.

there are also people who will not pay the high price for such a poor large set and have the money to spend on a smaller better detailed UCS set.

Yep, the target audience of UCS sets favors the OT. If I had to wager on the next PT UCS set it would be Jango's Slave I.

Give it another 10 years or so and the new AFO-SW-L will be the ones brought up with the PT :tongue:.

I don't get why the new Hoth Base got such heavy criticism, sure, it's not 100% accurate: nothing in Lego is. I think it is a cool playset that has some nice figures. I would buy it if I had more room in my budget.

Anyone else notice the building mistake on the right side of the bridge/walkway on the official high-res pic?

-Derek

Give it another 10 years or so and the new AFO-SW-L will be the ones brought up with the PT :tongue:.

Then it'll be time for today's OT fans to start brainwashing their grandchildren. :laugh:

We're straying off-topic now, methinks. So back to SDCC and UCS - personally, I'd be excited if there was another UCS set, and I don't see TLG doing another PT UCS this year after the way 10215 sold. (unless they'd already had this set in development full-blast before 10215 was released)

I'm sure 10 year old clone kiddies would save up their money for a UCS Venator cruiser. I know I would :grin:

10 year olds can't save 400 bucks.

Sorry to continue the off-topic discussion, but I'd just like to remind everyone:

AFOL who remember seeing Star Wars in 1977 are a breed which have shifted not only into higher income brackets over the past 10 years but more and more must balance lifestyle choices such as owning a home and raising children with their weakness for Star Wars Lego. Their purse strings may not be quite as versatile as 20 somethings wanting a UCS Venator or Republic Gunship and perhaps 10215 is indicative of these considerations by Lego.

Sorry to continue the off-topic discussion, but I'd just like to remind everyone:

A whole new generation was introduced to Star Wars in the 90's with the SE rerelease, which was supported by most parents taking their kids to see it loving SW themselves. That created TWO generations that love the OT. As for the younger generation, the majority of people who saw the PT that weren't kids hated it, partily due to unreasonable expectations and partily due to the movie's faults. I believe we can agree on this, maybe not. I would also go as far as to say that some kids grew to dislike the PT over time after their tastes matured and finding the PT to be a lifeless film that should be more than special effects, however, that's just me.

Anyway you spin it though, there are more people who can afford, who choose to afford, high-priced sets in the OT lineup. It isn't coincidence that the OT dominates the UCS lineup.

Well, back when I was 9, and the UCS Star Destroyer came out, all my friends and I weren't concerned about minifigs or playsets, we just wanted that awesome lego ship. And I saved up allowance, birthday money, I mowed peoples lawns, and I got the money, and bought it! And I've heard many other similar cases. Not everyone is just looking for minifigures or play features.

EDIT: I understand though that more people that are in the position to buy UCS/exclusive sets prefer OT. But that shouldn't mean they should be exclusively OT. (bad pun)

EDIT 2: And I never said that the Venator wouldn't be a playset...

Edited by brickbuilder

i'd like a ucs ARC-170, V-Wing and a few others besides so not just OT for me even the Clone wars has some decent designs, Torrent, Republic shuttle etc.

anyway less thanb 24hr to the lego exclusive news...maybe??

It must be said, though, that the PT has way more smaller ships that could be turned into UCS. Nearly everything from the OT has been sold either as a playset or an UCS: I don't see what else could they use, unless they start going for the most obscure, convolute or useless ships.

For a moment I thought they could be sitting on a UCS Landspeeder, but the next thought was "And who the hell would want one?".

It must be said, though, that the PT has way more smaller ships that could be turned into UCS. Nearly everything from the OT has been sold either as a playset or an UCS: I don't see what else could they use, unless they start going for the most obscure, convolute or useless ships.

For a moment I thought they could be sitting on a UCS Landspeeder, but the next thought was "And who the hell would want one?".

The problem is that SW is a vehicle-based theme. If TLG switched over, even for just a couple years, to a location-based Star Wars line (like IJ, HP, PoP), they could crank out a lot more OT sets. That said, there are notable vehicles like Slave I and the AT-AT that haven't been UCS sets and sets like the B-wing and TIE Bomber that seriously need System remakes. Enough for at least a few years worth of OT sets.

And this thread is drifting towards Future Star Wars Sets topic-ness...

The problem is that SW is a vehicle-based theme. If TLG switched over, even for just a couple years, to a location-based Star Wars line (like IJ, HP, PoP), they could crank out a lot more OT sets

One can only hope!! There are so many possibilities for modular/location type sets within the Star Wars line. It's a real shame TLG hasn't taken full advantage of that yet.

Last year with the JSF, didn't we hear leaked news/pics a couple days before SDCC? I'm not entirely sure.

yep it was the wednesday before SDCC which is today!

Hoth Echo Base Review 7879 on youtube

Nope I don't want it. It's still looking like a mix between a classic space police set and a arctic alpha team set.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for something cool!

For now it sounds like that 'something cool' is the new DC license and Superhero theme.

Well it looks like there is a good chance there won't be a Star Wars Comic Con release this year. I would think The DC licence Is going to get most of TLC attention this year. I hope I am wrong but I get the feeling I am not. :cry_sad: