KimT

LEGO Star Wars 2011 Pictures & Rumors

But I wonder if thats due to stress being put on the connections (unlikely cause I don't see what would be applying the force)

I doubt that, because the other side appears to be identical and faring just fine.

I doubt that, because the other side appears to be identical and faring just fine.

Probably when it was raised, it pulled the pieces apart slightly and they forgot to press it back together, when they took the photo.

Thanks for the hi-res pic gratefulnat :thumbup:

I agree, some nice figs and not a bad parts pack but would still have to be on offer before I buy it. I doubt I would ever actually build this.

You don't know what a popsicle is for? - It's for eating. Clearly a joke by TLG... Ice Planet = ideal storage for Ice lolly's. It's just a pity that this isn't the only thing that looks like a joke in this set.

The hi-res is from Grogall, and not me :wink:, I was just commenting on it.

You could be right about the popsicle being a joke on TLG's part - seems to be the best explanation so far :laugh:

Can we expect a review soon? :look:

A closer look at the medicarmourommand centre (pedro, did I spell that right?) reveals that the gantry includes four of the sliding tube pieces like the ones in 7869 and is cleanly mounted on a line of tiles. This suggests two things:

- That it can be raised or lowered, presumably to slide an X-wing underneath :sweet:

- That it can be removed (as I initially suspected) to be placed where said X-wing can land :sweet:

Of course, I'll have to ask gratefulnat to confirm this...

I'm also curious about the floating 2x2 round brick. What is its purpose?

Sorry fallenangel309, no review from me - not that I don't want to, just not enough time...

You are spot on about the gantry - it can be raised and lowered, and it can be removed. I assume the 2x2 round brick is meant to represent a magnet (or something similar) with which the ships are lifted with and held in place. I'm sure with your knowledge of star wars you'll be able to answer your question better than I am able to :classic: But considering the size of the gantry, you will not get anyhing other than the nose of a system x-wing through it.

The set itself buildwise is surprisingly stable, but it really lacks any cohesiveness as say the battle of endor set. A whole lot of neat little play-functions but the overall look is just too sloppy in my AFOL opinion. But the stability and amount of functions will, I believe, make it a very popular set with kids.

If they decided to add rubber parts to the Taun taun they should perhaps have made a 'slit' in the stomach out of rubber so that you could part insert a figure to recreate that 'keeping Luke alive scene from the film'.

... from vague memory I seem to remember the original Kenner Taun taun to have a similar feature...

:laugh: Art, your post reminds me of this thread...

UCS Tauntaun with lightsaber to "slice it open". Comes with brand-new "smell" brick that you can clip on the inside, so you can decide if they smell worse on the outside or the inside! Use it as a jacket when it's cold outside.

You are spot on about the gantry - it can be raised and lowered, and it can be removed. I assume the 2x2 round brick is meant to represent a magnet (or something similar) with which the ships are lifted with and held in place. I'm sure with your knowledge of star wars you'll be able to answer your question better than I am able to :classic: But considering the size of the gantry, you will not get anyhing other than the nose of a system x-wing through it.

Thank you for the confirmation, gratefulnat. I would agree with sok117 that the 2x2 round brick is meant to represent the actual 'crane' operating under the gantry...

New HR Image of Hoth Echo Base

Click the Pick!

Enjoy! :classic: :classic: :classic:

Thanks a lot grogall :clasic:.

Hans hood piece has had a really remodelling. It looks a lot fluffier that the older version.

Yeah but all for nothing the old one was fine.

You don't know what a popsicle is for? - It's for eating. Clearly a joke by TLG... Ice Planet = ideal storage for Ice lolly's. It's just a pity that this isn't the only thing that looks like a joke in this set.

What! The whole set is a joke. Those falling/flick fire icicles are beyond belief. The ice lolly is a decant part of the set, along with the 2 snow troopers the speeder, and the E-WEB.

We'll find out at SDCC in about a week.

Do we know what kind of exclusives we will see from Lego SW for SDCC?

Another six minifig displays or more cubedudes?

Do we know what kind of exclusives we will see from Lego SW for SDCC?

Another six minifig displays or more cubedudes?

I'm not sure about those, but according to nrg, a new 10XXX LEGO exlusive will be revealed, either like a UCS, or something like the Tantive IV or Dropship with AT-OT.

I assume the 2x2 round brick is meant to represent a magnet (or something similar) with which the ships are lifted with and held in place.

This post makes me wish TLG had included an actual magnetic crane in the set, M-Tron style.

Hello,

I found no review of the Hoth Base in your index here, I thought this might be of interest to you guys - because we have one.

5947674671_341f0081f6_z.jpg

The text is in German. But not the pictures :P

Greetings

-Bane

The hi-res is from Grogall, and not me :wink:, I was just commenting on it.

You could be right about the popsicle being a joke on TLG's part - seems to be the best explanation so far :laugh:

Ooops :blush: Sorry - that's why you should never post after drinking :wink: . - Thanks for the hi-res pic grogall. :thumbup:

I quite like TLG's little jokes even though they're not particularly funny. They make me feel like maybe there's still a good old fashioned human part of TLC and it's not just a faceless corporate money making machine. But then I see how much they're charging for this... thing and I think nah, corporate money making machine. I wonder if I'd been a Meccano fan as a child if I might have a hobby I could afford now.

What! The whole set is a joke. Those falling/flick fire icicles are beyond belief. The ice lolly is a decant part of the set, along with the 2 snow troopers the speeder, and the E-WEB.

That's kind of what I meant, but I've slagged this set so much, I'm starting to feel guilty about it.

So it is a yellow popsicle Leia's holding... wonder what it's for. Maybe guiding air and spacecraft into the hangar. Though with only one and no vehicles, that doesn't make much sense.

My Mum told me to NEVER eat yellow icicles/snow...

Few words about the stickers : they have a very low life expectancy.

But it is even worse when they are applied on a slope with grain. :/

Even on this official pic, a sticker is a bit detached from the 2x2x2 slope.

As much as I hate DSS (very much part of a club there), the transparent stickers are slightly more tolerable - I've not had quite the same degree of problems with them as with the paper variety. Seeing as there are transparent elements present this would seem to indicate designers have opted for those - it's a lesser of two evils!

Hopefully the use of the slope you mention is just an oversight Anio and the production set will include smooth elements.

A closer look at the medicarmourommand centre (pedro, did I spell that right?)...

I'm also curious about the floating 2x2 round brick. What is its purpose?

Something like that! :wink:

As others have mentioned maybe in form the 2x2 round brick represents a magnet/clamp os some kind; but also note that all the containers have jumper bricks which will easily attach to this.

I found no review of the Hoth Base in your index here, I thought this might be of interest to you guys - because we have one.

Cheers! Think I'll go and check it out right now...

Now Echo Base is something I can get excited about. I love the Rebellion, what can I say? At least 7666 can have some interior now. Even though it looks sub par I still like it. It looks like there is a sticker by that Taun Taun stalls that is the one on the door 3PO took off while the Imperials were chasing them in the movie. EU lets us know that is where Wampas were being held after an attack and the sign was a warning label. Since 3PO removed it a group of Snowtroopers went it and died. I'm pretty sure Vader saw the mess at least.

Anyway, we didn't need Han, Chewie, and the Snowies in this. But TLG wanted kids to have the main characters and enemies. But with all seriousness, this is Echo Base! Why aren't there Rebel Troopers? A Rieekan figure would have been wonderful! The Leia I don't mind since she needed improvement, I love R-3PO and the ESB Deco 2-1B! I'm glad I didn't buy the ROTS one of it in Palp's Shuttle. Now bacta Luke? It's weird, it's funky, it's hilarious, but I like it.

This is something I can add to my must buy list this year. Along with the Falcon, Ewok Attack, and whatever OT sets are being released. :grin: With the except of the N1 which I am getting. Also going to try to get a Panaka figure somewhere.

Few words about the stickers : they have a very low life expectancy.

But it is even worse when they are applied on a slope with grain. :/

Even on this official pic, a sticker is a bit detached from the 2x2x2 slope.

Argh, I hate that. My Snowspeeder and some of my other vehicles aren't very nice as their stickers are detaching from the sloped pieces.

Is there a specific reason why the slopes have the grained texture? It's rather annoying for stickers. :sceptic:

Anyway, nice to see a double-sided head for Luke, but he doesn't really look injured enough. Ah well, it's still a good addition.

The medical droid's colours don't match, again! The Tauntaun modification is somewhat annoying too, I don't think a tail really would pose much of a threat.

Overall, fairly nice set, I think. Looks like this may be the first "interior" set I'm going to buy. :classic:

Edited by Delta 38

My Mum told me to NEVER eat yellow icicles/snow...

Oh dear, now I going to be worrying for Leia's health every time I see that pic now :grin:.

Here

Thanks.

Damn Chewi still has non printed eyes :thumbdown:.

Edited by Mr Man

Nice review - emphasises all our thoughts and feeling on this set.

The minifig line-up is pretty good; the model itself incredibly mediocre. It really is just a mash-up of fragemnts from different scenes with no decent amount of attention given to any - and a few completely RANDOM bits thrown in. Glad to see that the stickers sheet is transparent (a small mercy). I spoke to soon about those aforementioned slopes which DO appear to be grained. Shame on you, LEGO.

I really do wonder: who at LEGO HQ signed off on this one? There appears to have been a fair lack of accuracy control!

Anyway, we didn't need Han, Chewie, and the Snowies in this. But TLG wanted kids to have the main characters and enemies. But with all seriousness, this is Echo Base! Why aren't there Rebel Troopers? A Rieekan figure would have been wonderful! The Leia I don't mind since she needed improvement, I love R-3PO and the ESB Deco 2-1B! I'm glad I didn't buy the ROTS one of it in Palp's Shuttle. Now bacta Luke? It's weird, it's funky, it's hilarious, but I like it.

I think the figures are one of the most appealing components of this set: new(ish) Han, new(ish) Leia, R-3PO, med droid... Luke in a nappy. Where it falls short on Hoth rebel troopers can easily be addressed by picking up aone or more Hoth rebel battlepacks of which there are plenty still on the shelves. You're NEVER going to get all the figures you think there should be in one set (Rieekan is so obscure I had to look him up - and I know my Star Wars) - case in point: there was much complaint about he lack of gunners in the 24+ strong Death Star!

It doesn't look like too bad of a set. Still, I'm going to stick to "The Clone Wars" sets for now. Then I might see if I still want the base.

For those of you who want it; here's a link to the review.

It looks like there is a sticker by that Taun Taun stalls that is the one on the door 3PO took off while the Imperials were chasing them in the movie. EU lets us know that is where Wampas were being held after an attack and the sign was a warning label. Since 3PO removed it a group of Snowtroopers went it and died. I'm pretty sure Vader saw the mess at least.

This was discussed before; it's a great touch, only...there are no Wampas. :sceptic:

One for the AFOL crowd.

a recent email exchange with a lego employee gained this snippet of teaser info!

Hey there. We’ll continue to release big star wars sets next year just like this year but that’s all the info I can give you on that :classic:

I was reading through the older parts of this thread, and I came across this post. Lots of people were saying the second exclusive would be smaller because of the size of 10221, but maybe not! It could be a droid control ship or something (just speculating).

Yeah, yeah, and I know you guys are all talking about Hoth Echo Base, and I just keep going on and on about the SDCC exclusive :tongue:

What an ugly set (Echo base). 100 Euros, for what? 3 new minifigs. Come on Lego you can do better.

Edited by october

Well, if it’s €100 then it should be about £85 which doesn’t seem too bad (at least for an exclusive!)

Perhaps I might get this after all, as I missed out on 7666 when it was still a fairly sensible price. One thing seems likely though; the price of 7749 should take a nose dive, as it’s no longer unique on the TaunTaun front! :wink:

I was reading through the older parts of this thread, and I came across this post. Lots of people were saying the second exclusive would be smaller because of the size of 10221, but maybe not! It could be a droid control ship or something (just speculating).

Yeah, yeah, and I know you guys are all talking about Hoth Echo Base, and I just keep going on and on about the SDCC exclusive :tongue:

Invisible Hand...

Invisible Hand...

Maybe during the Episode III movie release after the Executor is being phased out...and that's a big maybe. I would thing TLG has learned their lesson by now that straying away from OT sets for the UCS label is incredibly risky.

Maybe during the Episode III movie release after the Executor is being phased out...and that's a big maybe. I would thing TLG has learned their lesson by now that straying away from OT sets for the UCS label is incredibly risky.

Well TLG has only ever made 2 PT UCS sets anyway.

Well TLG has only ever made 2 PT UCS sets anyway.

Yep, the target audience of UCS sets favors the OT. If I had to wager on the next PT UCS set it would be Jango's Slave I.

Yep, the target audience of UCS sets favors the OT. If I had to wager on the next PT UCS set it would be Jango's Slave I.

I'd say a Venator. And the JSF didn't sell poorly because it was PT, it was because it was badly priced and boring. I'm sure 10 year old clone kiddies would save up their money for a UCS Venator cruiser. I know I would :grin: