Sign in to follow this  
Sid

Heavily modified 7947 Prison Rescue Tower

After looking at this topic I decided on making my own version of the Prison Tower since TRU had the BOGO sale a few weeks ago and the Dragon Knights needed something a little better than what they currently have.

Here's my version using 2 sets, I'm happy with it for the time being.. I have about ~100 pieces left over, maybe a little more. The bottom floor doesn't have any detail yet, maybe I'll add to it in the future but I worked on this the whole day and I'm taking a break.

sid_0077.jpg

sid_0078.jpg

sid_0079.jpg

sid_0080.jpg

sid_0081.jpg

sid_0082.jpg

Comments & suggestions welcomed!

Wow that is really impressive. Your addition really makes the set seem worth-while. You've corrected the common mistake that Lego makes which is the castle and towers are often one-sided and have no back to them.

This is a nice redesign useing the two sets. Well done. I think you have made something greater then the two sets.

On a side note:

You've corrected the common mistake that Lego makes which is the castle and towers are often one-sided and have no back to them.

I am unsure I would call it a "mistake". We AFOLs often seem to forget that Lego is childs toy. My six year old would not get as much play out a closed tower. The open back allows him to use it as it was ment to be, a play set. So Open Towers are not a mistake, it is a feature that us older "kids" just sometimes find annoying. :wink:

A very nice improvement over the first one. The only suggestion I could make is to add some kind of texture or variation (besides the few windows) to the wall going around, although I know this must have been difficult using only parts from those two sets alone. However, it really is some excellent building with that in mind. Good work! Now how about combining two of the new Lions castles...

Nice improvement, really. Though I find too plain the back walls, the enhacement is really good. How many extra pieces were needed?

The PRT set is one of favorite Kingdom's sets and your changes make it even more AWESOME !

Excellent designing 'Sid' and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Great job! I honestly think that 2 boxes of Prison Tower Rescue is more value for money than 1 box of King's Castle. This work is yet another example why.

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Nice improvement, really. Though I find too plain the back walls, the enhacement is really good. How many extra pieces were needed?

I rushed the first level so I could get working on the more interesting 2nd+ levels, I'll go back and redo the first, maybe split the castle in half so I can add some detail to the interior. It took about 2/3 of the second set's pieces, leaving out the bigger bulkier bricks.

This is pretty awesome! Now the black knights have a safe place to stay.

A very nice work indeed. I'm pleased I could inspire you to do this. It is really interesting for me to see what someone else come up with when tackling the same "problem" with the same constraints as I did. I especially like the ground floor windows in the front, and the wooden tower on the side. It both looks good and makes sence to have a wooden construction sticking out outside the wall as your tower on the side does.

PS. I notice you cheated a bit just as i did and used a few pieces not from the 7947 :classic: DS.

I could have swore I replied to this! I was amazed by what the combination of two of these could do, and you blended them effortlessly to create one beautiful modification of the original! As others have said I wouldn't hesitate to drop 50 bucks for this over the original :thumbup: Well done mate, and keep bricking!

You've corrected the common mistake that Lego makes which is the castle and towers are often one-sided and have no back to them.

Not really a mistake, it actually makes us guys to buy two or more of these! :-) Numerous topics like this are just a reason more for them to keep it up.

On topic, the improvement looks more than great, as well as one that you've linked, but still I would like to see one that doesn't really have so strictly square back side.

:jollyroger:

This is a really nice job. I haven't even opened my PRT yet, but this makes me want to run out & buy another!

Great improvements that definitely agrees with us AFOL's! I think we would all love to see your creation again after the 1st floor revamp. Thanks for making a place the Dragon knights can defend!

Great job, much better than the original set! :thumbup:

btw, you did this from the pieces of 2 of the original 7947, right? I would love to have it as a base in my LEGO collection!

Thanks for all the kind comments my fellow AFOLS :thumbup: I've been sick/studying for a final I have next week but after that I'll add to the bottom walls/interior and start on the Lion Knights castle using *2* of the sets. :classic:

btw, you did this from the pieces of 2 of the original 7947, right? I would love to have it as a base in my LEGO collection!

I did cheat a little and used some of my own parts but I'd say 95% of the parts are from the two sets.

Edited by Sid