Hey everyone,

Just joined and out of my dark ages so I got a few different sets from TRU to get back into it and was never really into technic, but after seeing some of these power functions I thought I just had to have one. The reason I got this set is because it was one of the cheapest with power functions that I saw at TRU but come to find out its a brand new set and that there are not a lot of pictures, or reviews, or thoughts on it out there. In the process of building my set I took a few pics and videos outlining different parts I thought were cool on this set, so lets get started.

Here are the parts all layed out organized and ready to go. 686 pieces. I had the case with the compartments for little pieces so if the table got moved or knocked they didnt go flying everywhere. It was my first time doing that and it worked out well.

IMG_1696.jpg

The next few are some of the main structure along with the mechanism to switch between what I call dump mode, and unload mode. Dump mode is when the container just gets lifted up in place like a dump truck, and the unload mode is when the container is moved off the back of the truck down onto the ground.

IMG_1704.jpg

the yellow piece you see in this picture also shows the steering mechanism for the front wheels. They are not on power just manually with a gear on top of the cab.

IMG_1708.jpg

This shows the platform in unload mode

IMG_1709.jpg

and in dump mode

IMG_1710.jpg

The mode is selected by a switch with the red handle somewhat out of focus on the left hand side of the pictures above.

The following pictures are of the truck in its various modes in action and showing some of the guts of it as well.

IMG_1713.jpg

dump mode

IMG_1716.jpg

dump mode 2

IMG_1719.jpg

unload mode

IMG_1721.jpg

unload mode 2

IMG_1724.jpg

the main lifting arm

IMG_1725.jpg

Here are links to youtube videos of the two modes:

Unload Mode:

Dump Mode:

The set was a lot of fun to build, took me a few hours as I was not paying 100% attention to the build all the time and was enjoying it and trying to figure out reasons for doing some of the things I was doing. This was a good start into the technic theme for me and I enjoyed it a lot. The different unload and dump modes are great and a fairly simple mechanism makes that all work. Overall very good model, would have liked to see the whole thing RCed and moves and drives but that would have brought the cost up a lot. For getting started with technic and power functions this is imo a great build and buy.

Hoped you liked this little overview/review of the 8052 Container truck and let me know what you think of my review, and if you have any other questions.

I love that it uses one linear actuator for unloading and dumping! I'm not sure the "unload" mode would be very useful with that particular container, especially if it was filled with something that could spill out, but you could modify it so that it has a closed container. $70 is more than I am willing to spend right now, though, and there's the Excavator, too...

Edited by Silcantar

Nice write up and photos, its good to see another of the 2010 2H models on the forum.

I like this model a lot, but since I have the Cherry Picker which it is kinda similar to in complexity and shape, I am going for the Mobile Crane first (as I have the Excavator and Bike now)

The two dumping modes are cleverly designed, and anything blue is always good. However, like 8264 from last year, I think the motor needlessly drives up the price of this set, and the model is not that large or functional considering it costs $70. 8265 is a much bigger and more complex model for only $10 more.

Nice write up and photos, its good to see another of the 2010 2H models on the forum.

I like this model a lot, but since I have the Cherry Picker which it is kinda similar to in complexity and shape, I am going for the Mobile Crane first (as I have the Excavator and Bike now)

I would say the cherry picker is much more complicated than this set, still a nice set tho.

Nice review!

It kinda makes the wait for my copy (just another week......)a lot easier.

Really love the 2way tipping/unloading of the model.

For only €55 (at my duch webstore) it is a great buy considering it has PF and a LA.

why did they put in a tan laserbeam stick in stead of a regular axles?

Where? There are new dark colored tan 3L axels with stud though...

I'm guessing it's there because they wanted to use those 2L friction pins to hold those liftarms together, but they also wanted to connect the two sides together, and a lightsaber beam can go in the friction pins.

Thanks for the review, for now I'm sticking with only the excavator for this season...

If I remember well (my model is not built anymore), the lightsaber prevent a red "L" part from going up.

I picked up my copy of this set about a month ago, I really like the set although a little overpriced for it's size, nothing we have not come to expect.

What annoys me is how they are using the clutch in the linear actuator rather than putting one of the white clutch cogs into the sets, that noise the LA makes when they hit their limits just does not sound healthy,

It's seems such an easy fix on this set, just replacing the dark bley 24 tooth cog with a clutch cog, I'm sure lego considered this, just cut the costs,

Paul

I quite like this and it is like a MOC I made last year. Could do with being a bit larger in size but overall it seems like a good model.

Paul

Nice review!

Here are my remarks:

When the first picures emerged on the internet i i was pleasantly surprised whith the colours, blue and grey. It may look a little dull, but it works.

The tipping/(un)loading mechanism with the LA is a great feature. And it works smoothly.

The built itself is not hard, but you got to keep focus to get it working.

Overall you get a model with high playability.

There are a few cons i've taken care of:

The gears make a lot of rattling noises when stopping the motor too late.

With the 24t gear replaced with a 24t clutch gear that is fixed.

dsc03922.jpg

Controling the motor by the on/off button on the batterybox is hard. With a PF-switch that is "under control"!

dsc03923.jpg

The rearview mirrors are mounted on the Cabin. A simple frame (Thanks Barman for the idea) on the door fixes that!

dsc03924.jpg

With these MODs i'm more than happy...

Edited by JunkstyleGio

I don't understand. For me, this model is not so great.

Ok, the design is nice and I appreciate the color scheme. Steering is also ok.

But the rest of the model is borring :/ Rising up the bucket is not very exciting. Even if there is 2 way to do it, it is still the same function IMO . The 8292 has two real differents functions, and it is much more fun and interesting to play with.

The mechanism to change the way you rise the bucket is also a bit botch-up...

And the absence of clutch gear is unforgivable. :sadnew:

As a Technic lover, I sure wanted all sets, but since money don't stretch, I'm another one that may buy only the excavator 8043 this semester.

This container truck 8052, though similar in aspect to the Cherry Piker 8292, is not mechanically as complex, and not as pretty IMO, but as a positive point on his side, the LA extra.

Speaking of LA, though they have an internal clutch, I'm one of those that doesn't like the sound it makes when they reach their course limit, and in the 8052 case, they could have easily added that white clutch gear, as pointed in some previous posts here. The Hauler 8264 misses it too, but with the motor directly attached to the LA, that would be harder to do, but not in 8052 case where it's just a case of swapping gears.

I was curious though, about the bucket raising mechanics on the 8052, so I de-assembled my 8292 Cherry Picker, and with some extra parts, and some improvise for those I still didn't have (mostly new Technic panels), I decided to build a kind of 8052, since LEGO as made the manual available (book_1, book_2)

wip8052_a011.jpg

wip8052_a016.jpg

Cumps

BS: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=441236

Youtube:

Edited by Mortymore

I've added a clutch gear to mine too!

I really like this set!

At work, I'm currently doing business with Veolia's Confidential Destruction Service. Outside my workplace, there are 2 large steel containers that are filled with shredded paper. When one is full, the truck comes & picks it up in seconds!

"piano000kr" just posted this 4-minute

showing a quick, stop-action photo sequence of the 8052 Container Truck being built and operated.

Very nice model for the price though considering it has PF included, kind of along the same price point as the 8264 Dumper, though I would have liked to have seen a closed end on the dumper instead of it being open...suppose it would be easy enough to modify though...I can't say I'm crazy about the 'b' model of the 8052 though, it is rather strange looking. Got in on a buy 1/get 1 50% off offer at TRU so bought 2 8052's, so might try to build it anyway just for the heck of it.

Hey everyone,

Just joined and out of my dark ages so I got a few different sets from TRU to get back into it and was never really into technic, but after seeing some of these power functions I thought I just had to have one. The reason I got this set is because it was one of the cheapest with power functions that I saw at TRU but come to find out its a brand new set and that there are not a lot of pictures, or reviews, or thoughts on it out there. In the process of building my set I took a few pics and videos outlining different parts I thought were cool on this set, so lets get started.

Here are the parts all layed out organized and ready to go. 686 pieces. I had the case with the compartments for little pieces so if the table got moved or knocked they didnt go flying everywhere. It was my first time doing that and it worked out well.

IMG_1696.jpg

The next few are some of the main structure along with the mechanism to switch between what I call dump mode, and unload mode. Dump mode is when the container just gets lifted up in place like a dump truck, and the unload mode is when the container is moved off the back of the truck down onto the ground.

IMG_1704.jpg

the yellow piece you see in this picture also shows the steering mechanism for the front wheels. They are not on power just manually with a gear on top of the cab.

IMG_1708.jpg

This shows the platform in unload mode

IMG_1709.jpg

and in dump mode

IMG_1710.jpg

The mode is selected by a switch with the red handle somewhat out of focus on the left hand side of the pictures above.

The following pictures are of the truck in its various modes in action and showing some of the guts of it as well.

IMG_1713.jpg

dump mode

IMG_1716.jpg

dump mode 2

IMG_1719.jpg

unload mode

IMG_1721.jpg

unload mode 2

IMG_1724.jpg

the main lifting arm

IMG_1725.jpg

Here are links to youtube videos of the two modes:

Unload Mode:

Dump Mode:

The set was a lot of fun to build, took me a few hours as I was not paying 100% attention to the build all the time and was enjoying it and trying to figure out reasons for doing some of the things I was doing. This was a good start into the technic theme for me and I enjoyed it a lot. The different unload and dump modes are great and a fairly simple mechanism makes that all work. Overall very good model, would have liked to see the whole thing RCed and moves and drives but that would have brought the cost up a lot. For getting started with technic and power functions this is imo a great build and buy.

Hoped you liked this little overview/review of the 8052 Container truck and let me know what you think of my review, and if you have any other questions.

Hi,

This will probably be my 1st bigger Technic Set in about 20 years, and of course the 1st motorized. Could someone supply more information about adding/changing the 24t gear with a 24t clutch gear? and on/off button on the batterybox with a PF-switch like JunkstyleGio (Kudos to him) did?

Does any of the lower price models have these spare parts that I can use because I only have 8256 Go-Kart. Also, online ordering/shipping is very difficult from my country.

Thanks in advance.