SavaTheAggie

MOD: Texas State Railroad in my computer

traintech1.jpg

I don't have a lot of bricks left over at the moment, so I've been spending a lot of time lately in LDraw. I'm not usually one to just build in LDraw, normally I have to have something built in real life first and then copy it into LDraw, but for some reason lately I've been able get some results I'm pleased with.

I won't be able to tweak the designs much until I get the chance to build them with real bricks, and I don't know when that'll be, so I figured I'd share them here, now. They may be works in progress, but I'm pretty darn pleased with what I've been able to come up with.

First I decided to give my first two TSRR locomotives, #300 and #500, something to pull. So I began building some of the TSRR Passenger Coaches. All credit for the coach bogies goes to Cale Leiphart.

TSRR Passenger Coach #44 - air conditioned

4814223980_dae0ca767c_m.jpg

TSRR Passenger Coach #72 - open air (currently has no interior)

4801384304_78ab045b98_m.jpg

TSRR Combine Coach #60 - dining/concession car (currently has no interior)

4810972929_f76aefdd3f_m.jpg

I've worked on Coach #44 more than the other two, so it's features are more refined, and has an interior. Expect to see the other two coaches with details (like the updated steps) similar to #44 in the future. I originally thought Coach #60 was a generator car (as you'll read on the Flickr page), but a recent email exchange with the TSRR revealed that I couldn't have been farther from the truth.

Then I decided to design my very first diesel locomotives - a shock to most, I'm sure.

TSRR Diesel-Electric Locomotive #7, an ALCO RS-2

4820092028_7999b8e371_m.jpg

TSRR Diesel-Electric Locomotive #8, an ALCO MRS-1

4822271437_c7b33e7200_m.jpg

All of the models were built in LDraw and rendered in POV-Ray. Photos of the real things are all linked to from the Flickr pages.

--Tony

I don't have a lot of bricks left over at the moment, so I've been spending a lot of time lately in LDraw. I'm not usually one to just build in LDraw, normally I have to have something built in real life first and then copy it into LDraw, but for some reason lately I've been able get some results I'm pleased with.

I won't be able to tweak the designs much until I get the chance to build them with real bricks, and I don't know when that'll be, so I figured I'd share them here, now. They may be works in progress, but I'm pretty darn pleased with what I've been able to come up with.

These are really nice, and I'm sure it will be worth the wait to see a full train by you in the brick.

These are really nice, and I'm sure it will be worth the wait to see a full train by you in the brick.

Thanks! I have to admit I haven't followed through much with my locomotives. The only full MOC train I've ever built is the Polar Express. Hopefully I can change that.

--Tony

What program do you use to draw the models?

The texture and colors look nice!

I cant wait for the SP alco. but it needs to be a little bit higher/taller. Your renders are great. I cant get POV to render anything like that. :)

Edited by broomhandle

I've digitally built the other two Diesel Electrics that the TSRR operates.

TSRR Diesel-Electric Locomotive #1, a GE 45 ton side rod switcher

4833702266_9bc2861c8e_m.jpg

TSRR Diesel-Electric Locomotive #22, a GE 70 ton switcher

4836991884_21d058ccd9_m.jpg

What program do you use to draw the models?

The texture and colors look nice!

I build them in LDraw and run them through POV-Ray.

I cant wait for the SP alco. but it needs to be a little bit higher/taller. Your renders are great. I cant get POV to render anything like that. :)

I could only raise it up one plate-height before it would become too tall - she's just about spot-on with the real thing. But as it is it is as tall as it can be and stay within scale relative to my other TSRR MOCs.

--Tony

Edited by SavaTheAggie

Beautiful switchers, I especially like the 45t one. Nice technique for the rods! :thumbup:

Nicely detailed cars and engines!

I can't wait to see them in real life either.

Especially Loco #7. I love SP engines since they are part of my favorite railroad. :sweet:

Since it took my computer over 12 hours to render this one, I can't help but to share it.

4839043905_20a006b37d_m.jpg

Beautiful switchers, I especially like the 45t one. Nice technique for the rods! :thumbup:

Thanks! I can't take credit for the side rods, that goes to Jason Steinhurst.

Nicely detailed cars and engines!

I can't wait to see them in real life either.

Especially Loco #7. I love SP engines since they are part of my favorite railroad. :sweet:

Thanks! I'll be building engine #7 first, as it's the "face" of the diesel locomotives at the Texas State Railroad. The steam engine #300 and #7 are the two locomotmives in the TSRR's logo. After that I plan to build the passenger cars, and then probably engine #8. The other two will probably be put on hold until I build some more of the TSRR steamers.

--Tony