Sign in to follow this  
HAGGAR

Hello everyone, this is HAGGAR

Dear fellow of Eurobricks,

This is HAGGAR from Hong Kong. I have been visiting the Forum for some time and finally decided to join the family!

Let me do a quick introduce on my brick experience: I received my very first Classic Space set 928 ("Galaxy Explorer") as a Christmas Gift and start to fell in love with LEGO ~ and become so obesessed with it which I started skipping classes and homeworks. My parent (my mom in particular!) have no choice but hide away (but told me all have been thrown!) all LEGO for me. :pir_bawling::pir-cry_sad:

It was only late last year around October that I discovered the hidden treasure of my mom, which have been powered by my brothers addition sets. Although none of the boxes and all of the Classic Space instruction booklets are available, I treaure these vintage and decided to reunion after almost 30 years! :pir-cry_happy:

I am a fan of Town/ City and very fond of FABULAND collection and PARADISA theme. I also have a rather huge parts and collection of the Castle set, which I am curently researching/ start appreciating European architechure and would like to build MOC castle. My long term project is to create a motorized Theme Parks with a blend of FABULAND, PARADISA style and Classic European architecture.

Although this sounds like a huge and agreggive target to do, but I am progressively enhancing myself towards this goal. I hope I can meet new friends and quickly get used to here and contribute myself to the Forum and share my MOC with everyone.

Anyway, thanks for reading such a long introduction (in case you are still reading! :tongue: ) THank YOU!

Cheers,

HAGGAR

=================================================

Hotel Paradisa

A MOC tribute to Miami South Beach and the PARADISA series

Dear friends and follow of Eurobricks,

This is my first post in the Town area, hope you'd like it!

Cheers,

HAGGAR

==============================================================

"Hotel Paradisa" is a MOC created for Brick Adventure 2011, Hong Kong.

The hotel is constructed in the Moderne Streamline Building Style, a late type of the Art Deco design style which emerged during the 1930s, to resemble a Miami South Beach-feel resort hotel.

1295961174m_DISPLAY.jpg

1295961919m_DISPLAY.jpg

<To be continue>

1295961919m_DISPLAY.jpg

1295961188m_DISPLAY.jpg

===================================================================================================

PARADISA and Streamline Moderne:

As the name suggest, this is a MOC tributed to the PARADISA series, of which, set 6416 (Poolside Paradise) is my all time favourite. You can probably see the similarity of this set and my MOC

6416-1.jpg

(Picture courtesy: BrickLink)

Unfortunately, the series have appreciated a lot in recent years, a set of reasonable conditions is often on sell for 3-folded or more. The trend is likely to go on with the termination of the series - which is pity for oversea die-hard fan like me. So I've decided to create my own version of PARADISA for the 22 Century.

The first task is to find out the kind of architecture style. After a bit of research in the Central Reference Libary, I learn of the "streamline Moderne" artistic style: a late type of the Art Deco design style which emerged during the late 1950s at US. Some of you might find this familiar to the screenary saw in an old Holywood movie.

Common characteristics of Streamline Moderne (Original post by Rafael Fabre on October 26, 2010)

X_features2_big.jpg

* Horizontal orientation

* Rounded edges, corner windows, and glass brick walls

* Glass block

* Porthole windows

* Chrome hardware

* Smooth exterior wall surfaces, usually stucco (smooth plaster finish)

* Flat roof with coping

* Horizontal grooves or lines in walls

* Subdued colors: base colors were typically light earth tones, off-whites, or beiges; and trim colors were typically dark colors (or bright metals) to contrast from the light base.

Below are some of the remarkable Streamline Moderne architecture that touch me:

(Source Wikipedia)

Normandie Hotel, in San Juan, Puerto Rico

220px-San_Juan%2C_PR_05.jpg

Greyhound bus terminal, Cleveland, Ohio USA

220px-Cleveland_Greyhound.jpg

Club Moderne, Anaconda, Montana USA

220px-Club_Moderne%2C_Anaconda%2C_Montana.jpg

- Don't you think this remind you of the screenario in the movie "Back to the Future", where Martin (Michael J.Fox) travel back to the late 50s/ early 60s? :laugh:

==================================================================================

Design Reference/ Inspiration

Although this will be an American building style, but it's no good if it is yet another Miami Hotel replication. I've always considered myself to be an architect (for LEGO only!), so the MOC need a personal touch to make it one of a kind.

I'd like to fill the Hotel with my own feeling and experience:.

Naturely everyone has their best time and their own remarkable memory - mine is probably at the late 70s/ early 80s when I first met LEGO.

Edited by HAGGAR

welcome and enjoy the boards! :classic:

welcome and enjoy the boards! :classic:

Welcome to EB :classic:

I'm sure you'll have a great time and good luck with you're project :thumbup:

Welcome!

Have fun!

Welcome to Eurobricks HAGGAR! Nice introduction, hope to see you active in the forums. Enjoy! default_classic.gif

Dear Zenn/ BrickClick/ Milan/ KielDaMan ~ Thanks for all you warm and kind welcome. Let me go through the guideline in detail and start contributing!

Welcome to Eurobricks. Enjoy the site and I hope to see your MOC soon :classic: