Sign in to follow this  
spanks_4

Really starting to get ANNOYED with LDD!

Every time I go to search for basic common parts they are not in the system!!!

Is Lego planning on adding more parts or have plans of putting every brick made in the system?

If you are not using LDD v3.1 in "Lego Universe" mode, you need to check out this Eurobricks post . LDD's LU mode has ~1,400 bricks in its parts pallette; more are coming in September 2010 with the release of LDD v4.0.

To ease your frustration, check all of the useful topics in the LDD Index Thread . :thumbup:

I am using the latest version, but it seems a lot of the pieces for trains and older sets are just not there. I agree LU version has alot of stuff, but it would be nice if they could figure out a way to put every piece ever used in the system.

Someone also mentioned in another post about the visibility of bricks with different colors. I agree that in a lot of colors it is hard to see the bricks, but I find red to be the easiest.

I am using the latest version, but it seems a lot of the pieces for trains and older sets are just not there. I agree LU version has alot of stuff, but it would be nice if they could figure out a way to put every piece ever used in the system.

Someone also mentioned in another post about the visibility of bricks with different colors. I agree that in a lot of colors it is hard to see the bricks, but I find red to be the easiest.

They're not likely to add out-of-date parts like old-style hinges, if that's what you're hoping for. When a part's been discontinued LEGO isn't likely to allow its use in LDD, since that would leave users wondering why those parts aren't available for real anymore. Even moreso if LEGO Universe mode really does allow upload to LEGO Universe (the game), since that would allow people to witness the functionality of old-style hinges, train parts, etc. without a proper understanding of why they were discontinued. And no, even an increased demand for such parts wouldn't lead to LEGO bringing them back in actual sets-- after all, some (like the Aquazone robot-arm hinges) were ridiculously fragile, and others also had valid reasons for being discontinued.

I use the default red in my brick tray most of the time, but I also sometimes use one of the purple colors when I'm building something where I need to be specific about the colors. That way, the parts will stand out so I won't forget to use the paint bucket to get the exact color I want.

Also, this could probably be merged with the LDD 4.0 wish list topic. But only a staff member can decide that for sure.

Someone also mentioned in another post about the visibility of bricks with different colors.

Not just that, but it's also a challenge (initially, anyway) to figure out what each colour is. There's no tooltip or indication for any of them!

Not just that, but it's also a challenge (initially, anyway) to figure out what each colour is. There's no tooltip or indication for any of them!

This topic by Superkalle might help you. Although the primary purpose of the topic is downloading the "expanded color chart" file, the zip file also includes an Excel spreadsheet that identifies the colors (both by Bricklink name and official LEGO name) in the order they appear on the chart. Since the first part of the chart is the colors that are normally available, and since Superkalle was thoughtful enough to put them in the same order they appear in the palette, it's very useful reference indeed.

If that proves useful to you, I've also updated both files (the LDD file and the spreadsheet) with added colors and information. My own additions are highlighted in blue so they won't be confused with the work Superkalle originally put into this incredibly useful reference tool. Not all the colors I added are all that useful (there are about five that are just obscure BIONICLE colors), but some (like pre-2004 Light Yellow, Bright Bluish Green, pre-2004 Dark Pink, old GitD, and Sand Violet) appeared in a lot of sets during my lifetime and thus seemed important to include.

If you stick to using the colors normally available in LEGO Universe mode, you can quickly get the hang of identifying what and where each color is. But these tools might be useful in the meantime.