Sign in to follow this  
Scouty

Le Coup d'État du 18 brumaire

Based on the painting by François Bouchot in 1840, this MOC faithfully (to an extent :wink: ) what happened at Saint-Cloud, that would launch Napoleon Bonaparte to power.

Impatient after waiting 20 hours, Napoleon decided to barge himself inside the Directory, finding a plethora of Directorates arguing if they should set up a new government to be led by Napoleon. Trying to explain his reasonings, the Directorates were all but happy to find him in there, with his Grenadier guards. One Directorate even attempted to assassinate Napoleon Bonaparte.

Enjoy!

4817620572_a12cb994e4_z.jpg

(Thumb link to the painting itself, in 1321x1400 pixels)

18brumaire.gif

4817638080_49e95f3cf5_z.jpg

4817010749_048100bb0e_z.jpg

More Pictures on Flickr!

Nice job, it looks very similar to the painting.

And you came up with an interesting piece of history :thumbup:

Thank you :classic:

I was going to do this for the Bayonets at Dawn contest, but I ran out of time :sad: .

I think it's nice to bring up certain moments of history that aren't as well known as others. Many did not know what this was unless I explained it to them (though the title cards helped a little).

Very nice work. Did you use pipe cleaners for the hats of the soldiers? If so, they seem to work rather well. You've followed the painting nicely and I enjoyed comparing the two.

Very nice work. Did you use pipe cleaners for the hats of the soldiers? If so, they seem to work rather well. You've followed the painting nicely and I enjoyed comparing the two.

Yes, I used red and black pipe cleaners for the bearskin hats of the grenadier guards. Those were based around 2 1x1 yellow bricks and a dark red 1x1 cheese slope attached to the top of the head. I was going to add this candle wick string to replicate the sort of rope they have going across the hats, but that night I stayed up til 3 and I still had the Directorate's coats to make.

Thank you :classic:

Nice! Très jolie :thumbup:

Where is Napoleon's coat from?

Mercí :classic:

I originally had made a decal (much like the grenadier's) for Napoleon, but the clear waterslide decal paper I used faded it too much to be discernible at all. This official torso, the fireman's torso, looked close to his coat and was the only thing I had that I could make a decently accurate Napoleon Bonaparte with. Still, it doesn't look bad :classic:

Really looks like the painting! The coats are very well done too, thanks for sharing :thumbup: !

blogged.png

Oh very cool, it's really accurate to the picture.

Great MOC, I love seeing historical scenes brought to life in LEGO.

Oh very cool, it's really accurate to the picture.

Great MOC, I love seeing historical scenes brought to life in LEGO.

Thank you BC :classic: ! There are thousands of awesome paintings out there (and equally bad ones too :tongue: ) to be made into LEGO. It should be done :sweet:

Really looks like the painting! The coats are very well done too, thanks for sharing :thumbup: !

blogged.png

Maybe sometime I'll take some better pictures of this with a proper background :classic: