Sign in to follow this  
Defferwa

Lego Star Wars Playsets

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

It has been a very long time since TLG released a Star Wars playset. I'm talking base plate and all. The last one must have been Hoth Base, Cloud City, and Wampas Cave.

I am really focused on playsets because I make really huge bases/scenes but I need playsets to perfect them.

When do you think we will get a playset?

What other playsets have their been?

Did you like/hate the past playsets?

I would love to see an Ewok Village, similar to the Kenner one on the 80's!

3 big trees, a platform, elevator, throne for C-3PO, another glider!!

Jamie

I don't think Wampa's Cave has even been released yet. *huh*

Either way, an episode II Tusken Camp playset would be cool. A tent, moisture vaporator, Anikan, some Tuskens...

I don't think Wampa's Cave has even been released yet. *huh*

Either way, an episode II Tusken Camp playset would be cool. A tent, moisture vaporator, Anikan, some Tuskens...

It's out, I have it! Bought it Toys 'r' US last week!

Jamie

Yep, Endor is a playset, plus wasn't the Ultimate Lightsaber Duel from ROTS a playset....oh, yeah and Jabba's Palace was a playset too.

By the way 'CallMePie', I've had Wampa Attack for almost a month now - Kmart in Oz plus now the Toyworld chain have August release SW sets.

SW sets are a little like city sets, but where city sets need roadplate linking buildings and vehicles, SW needs just basic base plates to build the battle scenes between the good and the DARK side ! :vader:

So I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Yep, Endor is a playset, plus wasn't the Ultimate Lightsaber Duel from ROTS a playset....oh, yeah and Jabba's Palace was a playset too.

By the way 'CallMePie', I've had Wampa Attack for almost a month now - Kmart in Oz plus now the Toyworld chain have August release SW sets.

SW sets are a little like city sets, but where city sets need roadplate linking buildings and vehicles, SW needs just basic base plates to build the battle scenes between the good and the DARK side ! :vader:

So I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

I live in the US, though. :sad:

Well the've pretty much done that, except without the tent.

I live in the US, though. :sad:

I am in the US too. Michigan! The Toys 'r' Us in Saginaw had it, that is here I bought it. At the time they had the new Slave 1 and the Wampa Attack. I would have got Slave 1, but, they only had 2 and the boxes were damaged.

Jamie

I am in the US too. Michigan! The Toys 'r' Us in Saginaw had it, that is here I bought it. At the time they had the new Slave 1 and the Wampa Attack. I would have got Slave 1, but, they only had 2 and the boxes were damaged.

Jamie

:hmpf_bad: Not where I live....

:hmpf_bad: Not where I live....

Hey, I'm in the same boat, the new SW sets have yet to show up at my TRU as well. :hmpf_bad:

But back on topic, there have been plenty of Star Wars playsets over the last few years, including Home One and the Endor bunker last year. You could even almost consider the Venator Cruiser and the Tantive IV as playsets since they're so large and hard to swoosh around, and they have at least one relatively large interior room. They are clearly meant to be played with on the ground and not in your hands, which in my mind makes them playsets. There's also the fact that vehicles sell better than playsets, and Lego Star Wars is the epitome of that. LSW is nearly all vehicles, and they happen to sell the best as well.

The only major difference between traditional playsets and the recent ones is that the recent ones lack baseplates. But I think Lego as a whole is moving away from sets with large unique baseplates, probably because baseplates are expensive to make (especially when printed), take up more box space, and in some ways could be considered <insert that tiresome argument> compared to building your own base and adding your own details. I'm not personally against large and unique baseplates, but I'm just saying these could be some reasons why we seem to be seeing less of them nowadays.

Edited by Apollo VI

Yeah I'd love to see some more modular style Star Wars sets, but more like Cloud City rather than Jabba's Palace. Also it'd be cool if there were some sets reminiscent of classic space bases with molded baseplates (like the fortress HQ's for Blacktron, Ice Planet 2002, Spyrius, Unitron, etc...), though I'm not sure what locations they'd use from Star Wars for them.

Two words...

Jedi Temple...

We have never had a jedi temple before and an order 66 playset would be awesome :oh:

And Ep 3 sets are always welcome in to my collection :laugh: (I even own the ultimate lightsaber duel :oh3: )

The only major difference between traditional playsets and the recent ones is that the recent ones lack baseplates. But I think Lego as a whole is moving away from sets with large unique baseplates, probably because baseplates are expensive to make (especially when printed), take up more box space, and in some ways could be considered <insert that tiresome argument> compared to building your own base and adding your own details. I'm not personally against large and unique baseplates, but I'm just saying these could be some reasons why we seem to be seeing less of them nowadays.

Cost is probably the main problem for TLG. Even themes other than SW are seeing less and less of baseplates. They're mostly just used for roads in City sets, now. Personally, I really don't like baseplates, because with the exception of the original printed Space and Aquanauts sets, they really don't have many uses. Anything a modern baseplate can do, bricks can do, and better*.

*Okay, maybe simplicity favors baseplates.

Two words...

Jedi Temple...

We have never had a jedi temple before and an order 66 playset would be awesome :oh:

And Ep 3 sets are always welcome in to my collection :laugh: (I even own the ultimate lightsaber duel :oh3: )

I don't know about a Jedi Temple. I guess they could bring some architecture into SW...

Off-Topic: Really? The Ultimate Lightaber Duel? You still own that :tongue: ?

Off-Topic: Really? The Ultimate Lightaber Duel? You still own that :tongue: ?

It really wasn't as bad a set as most reviews make it sound. I got to build it for a friend who's more interested in playing than building, and the concept was sound, the features worked fairly well, and it was a lot of fun when you didn't want to use dice to make your LEGO's battle.

Hey, I'm in the same boat, the new SW sets have yet to show up at my TRU as well. :hmpf_bad:

But back on topic, there have been plenty of Star Wars playsets over the last few years, including Home One and the Endor bunker last year. You could even almost consider the Venator Cruiser and the Tantive IV as playsets since they're so large and hard to swoosh around, and they have at least one relatively large interior room. They are clearly meant to be played with on the ground and not in your hands, which in my mind makes them playsets. There's also the fact that vehicles sell better than playsets, and Lego Star Wars is the epitome of that. LSW is nearly all vehicles, and they happen to sell the best as well.

I would love to see them expand their line of baseplates to include the standard green and blue but, to also include white (Hoth, winter City, etc.), tan (sand, light dirt) and brown (darker earth).