noname

Most useless LEGO parts

This my first topic! I haven't find any topic in this subject so:

What are the most usless unhelpful or unneccery LEGO parts?

I think this is one of the most unhelpful parts:

41525pb01.jpg

(Bricklink)

It appeared in three sets in "Alpha Team: Mission Deep Sea". (Information from bricklink)

Edited by noname

I like that piece, I would say that huge wing piece or the train piece from the old passenger train. I mean, I can't even make my own train using it because it's white.

I like that piece, I would say that huge wing piece or the train piece from the old passenger train. I mean, I can't even make my own train using it because it's white.

I don't collect trains. Can you add a Bricklink link or Peeron link?

As a Technic builder, one of those pieces I cannot recall having ever used, is

32079.png

There are more, but this is the first part that comes to mind when thinking of "useless parts"...

...There are more, but this is the first part that comes to mind when thinking of "useless parts"...

If there are more, link. (It's "Most usless LEGO parts)

Edited by noname

I don't collect trains. Can you add a Bricklink link or Peeron link?

Presumably he means this one, utterly useless. Made all the worse by the fact it's molded badly so doesn't actually fit properly on the official model.

Those large dome like pieces from the old space sets where pretty useless outside the space theme, Theres been much worse, But thats the first piece that comes to mind when you say ''useless piece''

There are no useless parts in LEGO, just inept unimaginative not so creative builders. Everything can be used in anyway, you just have to shed your conformist philosiphy and look at things in a new way. I have yet to find a single part that I cannot use for something other than it's intended purpose.

I have yet to find a single part that I cannot use for something other than it's intended purpose.

That sounds almost like a challenge! :grin:

Oh and by the way, I totally agree. :thumbup:

There are no useless parts in LEGO, just inept unimaginative not so creative builders. Everything can be used in anyway, you just have to shed your conformist philosiphy and look at things in a new way. I have yet to find a single part that I cannot use for something other than it's intended purpose.

I agree! That's one of the nice things about LEGO: finding a new use for an existing part, like revolvers for handlebars or palm tree trunk pieces as exhaust pipes.

That said, there are some really UNNECESSARY parts in existence. Maybe not useless, but more of a "why does this exist" thing, like some of those Jack Stone parts, or the 1 x 2 x 2 brick.

Peppermint M - I would still suggest there are some "less useful" parts that even if you can use them imaginatively, they are not particularly versatile. Some imaginative uses I've seen for such parts are almost a case of deliberately working around the part that is the oddity, which one should not have to do (I don't think Lego should be producing "one off" large parts that are more difficult to use for anything but the original purpose).

I saw a train built using the cockpit of the second-last passenger plane - that was an impressive bit of building, but even so I don't think it worked that well (looked a bit like a plane on rails minus wings), and I would consider this cockpit an example of a "less useful" part. I do intend to try using my own one for a space-ship, but even then it is dependant on my wanting to use white and a cockpit with a nose. Again, the single piece giant wing is unnecessarily lacking in versatility also - even if it can perhaps be used as a platform on some structure, or a wing on a spacecraft.

I am not myself one of the more rabid anti-Bionicle people, but I will admit that thus far, I haven't had much use for the various pseudo-technic parts I've accumulated. Again, maybe if I get doing some Space building or decide to build a robot-dragon after the fashion of the original one that I got with the Vikings.

I do consider many "special purpose" pieces to be very versatile, that would include most modified bricks, plates and brackets for example, and even in ordinary building - quite a lot of ordinary technic bricks/beams/connectors (I never seem to have the right technic connector to hand though, but yet I wouldn't want to order a lot of them from bricklink or buy Technic sets).

I don't think there are any useless parts. I'm pretty sure if you can't find a use for it, someone else will. :classic:

That sounds almost like a challenge! :grin:

Oh and by the way, I totally agree. :thumbup:

This topic can be a start of a contest...

I'm not saying that every part is as versatile as the 2x1 brick, but I still can't agree that it is bad just because a builder makes a point of using a part for a MOC. I don't know how others MOC, but I have a shape in my head and drop the parts into place as I build. That means if it facilitates a certain effect or look, I will use it. The only time I set out to use a part in a MOC was for a contest that asked you to do so. I've built plenty of MOCs in which a Bionicle part has just happened to be perfect for it.

Like I said, it all comes down to how you think about it.

Like I said, it all comes down to how you think about it.

That's the point of the topic: I can't think of another way to use the part I mentioned above.

It looks like a mecha foot, an engine element or jet booster. The fact it is a minifig "cradel" means it could be the centerpoint for a mecha or spaceship. The shape and colour means it could be worked into a construction plant or as part of an atmospheric system on a space station.

I think that there is not such thing as a totaly useless part. But I think it is true some are more of a challange and will be used less then other elements.

On a side note, I also think how people see a part has a lot to do with what they like to build. I also think that as you learn new ways to build then various parts become more attractive and you will use them more.

Just my .02 :classic:

The only thing (that is useless in MOCS) that comes to mind for me are the parts without studs, holes, or connection points.

I can't find a use for all my discs (from the disc flicker), Jack Stone figs, technic comp missiles, and Zamor spheres! :tongue: (Though I'm working on using 2 spheres in a sci-fi engine, so there.)

For me all Bionicle parts except the small and simple technic parts.

Thay have no other use than in ugly robots and look like thay were made of some smaller mechanical parts and have fake joints and... you can't make a house of them.

And some big parts designed for one purpose only like truck trailers and such.

I am not myself one of the more rabid anti-Bionicle people, but I will admit that thus far, I haven't had much use for the various pseudo-technic parts I've accumulated. Again, maybe if I get doing some Space building or decide to build a robot-dragon after the fashion of the original one that I got with the Vikings.

For me all Bionicle parts except the small and simple technic parts.

Thay have no other use than in ugly robots and look like thay were made of some smaller mechanical parts and have fake joints and... you can't make a house of them.

And some big parts designed for one purpose only like truck trailers and such.

They are more versatile than you think. I used This Torso and This Connector to make a good hexagonal hull in two of my UCS TIE variants. The only problem was that the color choice wasn't great (I had to use white instead of one of the grays).

This topic can be a start of a contest...

i suggested this in the Star Wars contest forum (Watto's Junkyard) and it only garnered a lukewarm response. I think it's a great idea. I'd especially like to see uses of this piece prominently displayed :devil:

They are more versatile than you think. I used This Torso and This Connector to make a good hexagonal hull in two of my UCS TIE variants.

Well, these 2 parts are not that bad, they are quite small and simple and I guess I could use them for something.

But the main, big parts are horrible.

Well, these 2 parts are not that bad, they are quite small and simple and I guess I could use them for something.

But the main, big parts are horrible.

Ever since 2006, there are about two kinds of big parts in bionicle sets, the "torso" and probably the main armor. I think plenty of large armor pieces can be useful for decorating vehicles and other sci-fi stuff. The large torso pieces are probably only useful when you want to make a figure, but then again each set has at most one of them...

The other things like extremities and such are very compatible with technic and system and they have been popping up in system sets for a while. The weapons are rather specific and annoying if you are not making something that would use weapons, but TLG use them in system sets as well for some reason...

The 1x2x2 and the 2x2x pieces are completely useless! Just use two 1x2 or two 2x2! I hate those pieces!

They're not useless, they're redundant.