Captain Macintosh

HMS Hotspur

Ah, this is too cool. The trans bricks in the back seem a little out of place though.

Well, this MOC looks nice, but I think the transparent bricks in the back look awkward. I assume you were trying to go for windows back there, but having them all together without some sort of "frame" makes it look too futuristic and fragile.

In all, however, it's a great MOC. I really like the base you built for the cannon at the front too. It looks realistic IMHO.

Ah, this is too cool. The trans bricks in the back seem a little out of place though.

Thanks :pir-laugh: The translucent bricks are supposed to be the captain's cabin windows - that's the best technique I know for windows. Are there any better ways to build them? I'm always looking for improvements!

Screen%20shot%202010-07-21%20at%207.18.44%20PM.png

This is a picture of the ship it's (loosely) based off of. You think there needs to be a frame around the windows?

Thanks for the feedback!

~Stan

You think there needs to be a frame around the windows?

Great MOC, and yes, I think that is better put some yellow or black (or even white) bricks between the trans bricks, to make the feel of window frame

apart from this detail, is a good ship :thumbup:

Great MOC, and yes, I think that is better put some yellow or black (or even white) bricks between the trans bricks, to make the feel of window frame

apart from this detail, is a good ship :thumbup:

Thanks! I'm always looking to improve my creations, so constructive criticism is very enjoyable. Would something like this in place of my current set up look better?

IMG_0001.JPG

or

IMG_0005.JPG

instead of

IMG_0004.JPG

Sorry for the weird colors, I only have so many trans-clear bricks :pir-grin: The second design is to see if I could get away without any trans-clear 1x1s - I don't have any, and they don't seem too common :pir_wacko:

~Stan

Edited by Captain Macintosh

right now I think we were chatting (which is not a bad idea for the creators of this page)

First, I think you should change the resolution of your images to 800x600, because slows Internet speed

and about your MOC, the idea is something like that, even, you can mix between bricks some plates, even, put one Plate with 1 Stud down the trans bricks

(only if you have enought bricks and plates... if not, well, we are in the same train!!!!:pir_bawling: )

keep bricking :thumbup:

Edited by Brig. Brick

By the by, does anyone have

1) a good way to dust Legos? This has a LOT of dust on it now...

2) a good name for an English port? I have a few buildings done so far, it's a WIP, but I need a good name for it...

Just thought I'd ask now, as modifications to this send dust spewing everywhere :pir-tongue:

~Stan

...and about your MOC, the idea is something like that, even, you can mix between bricks some plates, even, put one Plate with 1 Stud down the trans bricks

(only if you have enought bricks and plates... if not, well, we are in the same train!!!!:pir_bawling: )

Sorry, but I don't quite understand what your talking about there :pir-sceptic: Do you have a picture of this implemented?

Regardless, here's a slightly modified version of the window design:

new.JPG

If implemented as in that mockup, I'd need to do a fair bit of modifications to the ship's deck level - do you think this design will look OK?

~Stan

1-) The best for the dust in lego is a can of compressed air, used to clean pc's, or you can use a gas compressor

2-) a good name, that always remember me a very english port is Port Portsmouth, for my is a very Victorian's name for a port, but I think its better to ask a English :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Brig. Brick

1-) The best for the dust in lego is a can of compressed air, used to clean pc's, or you can use a gas compressor

2-) a good name, that always remember me a very english port is Port Portsmouth, for my is a very Victorian's name for a port, but I think its better to ask a English :pir_laugh2:

Thanks!

Sorry, but I don't quite understand what your talking about there :pir-sceptic: Do you have a picture of this implemented?

sorry I don't have pictures of that rigth now :pir-tongue:, but is technique to hide the studs of the lower plate, using a flat plate or a plate with one stud to keeping flat and not disturbing the upper trans brick (just for keep the window clear) .

And, if you feel that a great change in the design can happen :pir-oh3:, just keep the idea of a brick between trans brick, and then, you can play other options, with modified bricks like this or this

Edited by Brig. Brick

You might like to try some thing like this:

HMS-Lively-32.jpg?t=1279773405

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa244/kurigan_the_red/Tall%20Ships/?action=view&current=HMS-Lively-32.jpg

or this:

HMS-Maidstone-016.jpg?t=1279773555

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa244/kurigan_the_red/Tall%20Ships/HMS-Maidstone-016.jpg?t=1279773555

Or even my own version of "Hotspur"

HMS-Hotspur-009.jpg?t=1279773676

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa244/kurigan_the_red/Tall%20Ships/HMS-Hotspur-009.jpg?t=1279773676

I think part of you vessel's issue with conveying realism in the stern gallery is that is doesn't protrude away from the hull nor does it lean out over the water at the stern. If you could get either or both of these effect I think it would go a long way. Don't get me wrong it's a great MOC and I too am a fan of Horatio. The stern face mini fig with the custom shirt of Lt. Bush brought a smile to my face too. Nice job!

I'm a fan of the Hornblower series - the films that is, haven't read any of the books yet.

You've done quite a bit of work here Captain Macintosh and good work at that!

This is a picture of the ship it's (loosely) based off of. You think there needs to be a frame around the windows?

Here be another that's less blury although quite smaller:

A_captain_horatio_nornblower_CAPTAIN_HORATIO_HORNBLOWER-11.jpg

I'm a fan of the Hornblower series - the films that is, haven't read any of the books yet.

You've done quite a bit of work here Captain Macintosh and good work at that!

Here be another that's less blury although quite smaller:

A_captain_horatio_nornblower_CAPTAIN_HORATIO_HORNBLOWER-11.jpg

Thanks! I haven't read the books yet either, but I plan to do so when I have the time. Thanks for the picture!

I think part of you vessel's issue with conveying realism in the stern gallery is that is doesn't protrude away from the hull nor does it lean out over the water at the stern. If you could get either or both of these effect I think it would go a long way. Don't get me wrong it's a great MOC and I too am a fan of Horatio. The stern face mini fig with the custom shirt of Lt. Bush brought a smile to my face too. Nice job!

So extending the captain's cabin a few studs would improve the ship? I could see 3 studs making it look better, as the deck would line up better.

~Stan

For starters the ship in the image above is HMS Surprise (formerly "Rose") which played "Surprise" in the film "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World", she is a 28 gun 6th rate, Hotspur was supposedly only a 16 gun Ship Rigged Sloop, but the ship which played Hotspur in the Hornblower episode "Duty" was actually "Earl of Pembroke" a barkentine rigged merchant vessel redressed to more resemble a Man of War for the role. More about her here http://www.square-sail.com/ if you're interested also lots of images come up on a Google search.

In my opinion you did a fine job modeling the ship as she appeared in "Duty" and i already like what you've done changing the stern gallery.

Well done, I actually really like how this has come out! And I quite agree that the back windows look quite a bit better with those nice frames :thumbup: