Davey

MOC: Sydney Metro Train

traintech1.jpg

This build was my contribution to George Kemper’s ‘Project X’ (aka The Matrix @ Brickworld 2010). It was designed to go with Mark Kelso’s subway scene from The Matrix. The collaboration was really cool and drew a lot of attention on the public days.

4816058136_44c9cc15f7.jpg

Since The Matrix was filmed primarily in Sydney, Australia and features the Sydney Metro System, I decided to try and model my subway train off the Sydney Metro. The cars are 8-wide (my first 8-wide ever) and 42 studs long.

4816057888_06d44ef5da.jpg

The corrugation of the sides was achieved with the 1x2 profile bricks in a metallic gray color. The rest of the coach is made using old light gray pieces and a number of vintage train windows in yellow and old light gray.

4816058026_a94cea0f3b.jpg

It’s a double-deck design and the full train is two coaches long and powered by two LEGO 9V motors. More pictures are available on my Sydney Metro Train Photostream.

Big thanks to George Kemper for asking me to be a part of Project Matrix. It was fun being part of a collaborative build and George did a great job coordinating.

-Davey

tot-lug_100x40.jpg

Even though I'm from Adelaide, I have taken a few trips on one of those trains when I took my wife to Sydney for our 10th wedding anniversary a few years ago. You have hit the nail on the head, with AWESOME detail ! :grin:

Except it's missing the usual graffiti on the sides of the train, it's a little too clean ! :laugh:

Excellent job designing and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Nice looking train you got there Davey! I love the double-decked design and the 'grilled' exterior surface. Great job! default_thumbup.gif

Except it's missing the usual graffiti on the sides of the train, it's a little too clean ! default_laugh_new.gif

I guess that's quite challenging to pull off since you have to mess with the build's exterior (literally paint it). default_laugh_new.gif

Nice looking train you got there Davey! I love the double-decked design and the 'grilled' exterior surface. Great job! default_thumbup.gif

I guess that's quite challenging to pull off since you have to mess with the build's exterior (literally paint it). default_laugh_new.gif

Ah, I used to take these to school during 2000/2001, from Burwood to Flemington I think. Your model looks spot on, although I don't remember many without graffiti :tongue: Seriously though, nice model :thumbup:

Since The Matrix was filmed primarily in Sydney, Australia and features the Sydney Metro System, I decided to try and model my subway train off the Sydney Metro. The cars are 8-wide (my first 8-wide ever) and 42 studs long.

My girlfriend who grew up in Sydney says you've done a good job, as she could tell it was a metro rather than the similar inter urbans which run on different lines.

BTW now you've experienced all the downsides to eight wide I eagerly await your future 7-wide builds :-)

This build was my contribution to George Kemper’s ‘Project X’ (aka The Matrix @ Brickworld 2010). It was designed to go with Mark Kelso’s subway scene from The Matrix. The collaboration was really cool and drew a lot of attention on the public days.

As a Sydney resident, I can see the amount of detail you've packed into the models.

The only small niggle I have is that the matrix used very old single deck rolling stock that was

repainted to look more like American (particularly NYC) stock

The pic at Wikipedia - 1960 Single Deck Cars should give you an idea. Not that I want to take

anything away from a spectacular build!

Except it's missing the usual graffiti on the sides of the train, it's a little too clean ! :laugh:

Actually graffiti is not all that much of a problem on the outside of cars, with security around stabling

areas it's difficult to get in to spray.

Inside cars is different, lots of fat texta bombing and sign defacement.

As a Sydney resident, I can see the amount of detail you've packed into the models.

The only small niggle I have is that the matrix used very old single deck rolling stock that was

repainted to look more like American (particularly NYC) stock

The pic at Wikipedia - 1960 Single Deck Cars should give you an idea. Not that I want to take

anything away from a spectacular build!

I've actually had a lot of people mention this, so don't feel bad. I can't believe I messed a massive detail like that up. :tongue: Just goes to show how long it has been since I have seen The Matrix.

-Davey

tot-lug_100x40.jpg

Really nice Dave. This is like a modern Metroliner Club Car. I like the light grey and yellow color combination, especially the doors. It's always nice to see the classic train windows as well. Overall, great detailing! :wub:

I’m a Sydneysider, and I catch these every day. This is instantly recognisable as one of our trains. Brilliant job.

The only inaccuracy I feel is the windows in the middle section are more square than in reality, making the whole carriage seem a little short/squashed. Some 1x4x5 windows on their side may have fixed this issue, but that would be at the expense of the lovely (and true to life) effect provided by the old-style windows. IMHO your approach improves on reality. Well done.