Sign in to follow this  
MikeJ

Info on 8248 model

Hi Folks!!

Could anyone help with ideas on obtaining assembly instructions on the old 8248 buggy please? Tried the official site but it isn't on there.

Thanks.

Hi Folks!!

Could anyone help with ideas on obtaining assembly instructions on the old 8248 buggy please? Tried the official site but it isn't on there.

Thanks.

here you go

brickset

check the instructions tab. vector quality!

Edited by Jan

Cheers Zbli, will give it a go. Bit confused though one image on this site shows the model as 8248 but on another site that comes up as a forklift..!!

Set 8248 (pictured below) is a Lego Technic forklift (as shown on Blakbird's Technicopedia): http://www.ericalbrecht.com/technic/forklifts.html . I think that if you're looking for a Technic "buggy", you've got the wrong set number. Look for it on Technicopedia here: http://www.ericalbrecht.com/technic/buggies.html .

If you want to download the instructions in a single, Adobe Acrobat .PDF file, recommend using the LEGO.com Customer Service Building Instructions website http://us.service.lego.com/en-US/BuildingInstructions/default.aspx . It will save you the hassle of downloading individual .JPG images.

Another source of page-by-page Building Instructions is BrickFactory: http://www.brickfactory.info/set/index.html .

8248b.jpg

Edited by dluders

here you go

brickset

check the instructions tab. vector quality!

Thanks Jan. that's what I found too, but thanks anyway, looking via Google I've managed to find it at last on yet another site..but it has two numbers 8248/8432. Do Lego do that normally?

If you look on Blakbird's Technicopedia ( http://www.ericalbrecht.com/technic/ ), you can see that the Lego Technic set was released twice (as Set 8248 and 8463). There are other dual-issue sets listed there too.

Edited by dluders

Thanks Jan. that's what I found too, but thanks anyway, looking via Google I've managed to find it at last on yet another site..but it has two numbers 8248/8432. Do Lego do that normally?

I think you have a number transposed. You are looking for 8428 not 8248. 8428 and 8432 are the same set (Turbo Command) except that 8432 also came with a CD-ROM. The CD-ROM had games and additional instructions.

8428isosmall.jpg

You can find the instructions for the main buggy model here at Peeron. Incidentally, this is a really great set and one of only 3 sets which will get you those cool silver wheels.

I think you have a number transposed. You are looking for 8428 not 8248. 8428 and 8432 are the same set (Turbo Command) except that 8432 also came with a CD-ROM. The CD-ROM had games and additional instructions.

8428isosmall.jpg

You can find the instructions for the main buggy model here at Peeron. Incidentally, this is a really great set and one of only 3 sets which will get you those cool silver wheels.

Thanks All, managed to download the instructions.

@ Blackbird: I agree about the wheels, they are neat. I bought this in a charity shop, in a poly bag, pre-built, no instructions, and looking pretty much intact (hence the instructions!!) for £2.50, which seems a bargain???

At the same shop bough another bag for another £2.50 complete with a standard City set style "boat", and two figures,(I now know this is part of River Response 6451-1 set) along with another bit of Technics in the style of a small off-roader vehicle with balloon wheels, (and this is the 8816 buggy)

I initially thought both the car and boat were seemingly complete, but there are a few parts missing, so will have a look at the sites for these. Any parts-site recommended, or is asking this against forum rules? If so I apologise and will withdraw the question.

Once again thanks for the help everyone, a great welcome indeed for a "newbie"

Edited by MikeJ

I initially thought both the car and boat were seemingly complete, but there are a few parts missing, so will have a look at the sites for these. Any parts-site recommended, or is asking this against forum rules? If so I apologise and will withdraw the question.

That is an amazing buy. This is a somewhat rare set which would generally sell for about £30-40.

You can buy individual replacement parts on Bricklink.

Besides the 8428 Building Instructions (which you already got from Peeron), use the part numbers from the Peeron Parts Inventory when shopping for the missing parts on Bricklink. Here's the 8428 Parts List: http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/8428-1 .

If you need the two CDs that originally came with the Lego Technic Turbo Command 8428 set, you could get them here: http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-LEGO-8428-Technic-Turbo-Command-Disc-1998-2CD-/200498660431?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eaea6c44f .

8428-1.1182996534.thumb2.jpg

I've picked this up for just over £20 on eBay. It's much nicer than I was expecting.

For someone who's dark ages were from about 1988 to 2007, this is a really interesting set. It is essentially studded, but contains many parts which didn't exist in the 80s and I only associate with studless builds. The wheels are very cool, and it also comes with a bunch of flexible ribs and spars and teal coloured trims which I haven't seen before. Very interesting build although I rushed through it. I might take it down and build it again taking more time.

The set came with both CDs. If there are any files from them not available on-line that anyone is looking for, I can make them available.

Q. Has anyone tried adding power functions to the model? I've had a quick google and nothing obvious came up. It might be an easy change for my first mod?

Replying to myself but here goes...

Most MOCs seem to use the PF XL motor for driving the wheels. As I don't yet have any XL motors, would an M motor be powerful enough to drive something the size and weight of 8428.

My first attempts have ripped parts of the drive train off its mount points where they're held in by studded construction, so have yet to have a successful test drive. I can see now some of the limitations of Lego encountered by MOCers that you don't run into when just following the instructions :classic: